Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: eps1.3_da3m0ns.mp4

• Start Topic

I laughed when Elliot pulled out a Raspberry Pi to crack Steel Mountain.  I thought they'd play it as some super-high-tech widget, but Darlene (?) immediately identified it as... a Raspberry Pi!

• Love 1
(edited)

I thought this was an interesting episode.  My problem is that I much prefer seeing Elliott interact with the people at work than the society.  I find the society dull and flat for the most part no matter how quirky they make them. 

This is exactly how I feel about this show. I don't care about any of the people in the fsociety or what they're trying to do. But I think Elliott is a very interesting character and what I like best is watching him interact with the normal people- Angela, his boss, Shayla, his psychiatrist, Ollie, even. That's honestly where I think the show is, not with the hacker group or Christian Slater. Seeing the world through Elliott's eyes and how he feels about the people around him while being unable to function quite the same way they do. But then with them kind of liking him anyway, for his weirdness. And him seeking out his own kind of justice with his vigilante stuff.

I don't know if Sam Esmail is going to realize that that's where the best stuff is, because it seems like he's all in on this fsociety thing, but the rest of the show are the parts I like best.

Edited by Ruby25
  • Love 6
But I think Elliott is a very interesting character and what I like best is watching him interact with the normal people- Angela, his boss, Shayla, his psychiatrist, Ollie, even. That's honestly where I think the show is, not with the hacker group or Christian Slater. Seeing the world through Elliott's eyes and how he feels about the people around him while being unable to function quite the same way they do. But then with them kind of liking him anyway, for his weirdness. And him seeking out his own kind of justice with his vigilante stuff.

Yes, but ... the fsociety people are who have brought some of those issues to a head, and made Elliott choose. That's the source of conflict. I agree that the fsociety story should have played out much slower, and longer, in the background, as we learned more about Elliott's perspective on life. At the same time, I so hate that he is an addict. Can't we have someone who has his issues, and struggles with modern society, who doesn't need the crutch of drugs to get through the day?

• Love 2

I fanwanked that the cough was him trying not to vomit and/or coughing to cover his retching.

I thought it was a cheeky nod to the trope where any character who coughs always suffers a slow, painful death. Elliot said:

That was about the time the withdrawal started. Remember? I know, I broke my own rule—but I have no Suboxone. What I do have: clinical depression, social anxiety, a day job, a night job, confusing relationships, others depending on me.

So I thought Elliott withdrew from the morphine & Suboxone, and now we'll see how much his problems stem from his psychiatric disorders. Since he's an unreliable narrator, I think he's got more going on than social anxiety & depression.

I don't know New York State's laws on compulsory treatment for mental illness, but somehow I'm convinced that social anxiety disorder doesn't keep you in the hospital until you get an okay from your shrink.

The USA Network character bio says why Elliot is seeing Krista. Some people deliberately avoid any information not seen on screen, so if anybody wants to discuss it we should probably go to the spoiler thread: http://www.usanetwork.com/mrrobot/cast/elliot-alderson

• Love 4

I find the society dull and flat for the most part no matter how quirky they make them.

I liked Romero's home truths to Elliott:

Look, man, you might be able to hide it from these nerds, but I know a junky when I see one. In your condition, you ain't gonna do jack or Jill—except puke your guts out, or give handjobs for another high.

Then he told the other guy, "Something ain't right about this guy" and "I don't trust him," to which the other guy replied, "It's not about trust, remember?" What does that mean?

In that scene (where the two guys steal a minivan), I really liked the flowering trees. (In the previous scene, Elliot had said it was March 29.) I love the NYC locations.

Another great Romero line:

I bet you right now some writer's working hard on a TV show that'll mess up this generation's idea of hacker culture.

• Love 2

Maybe I've lived in Los Angeles too long but I can totally see someone doing a cubicle-themed restaurant if there hasn't been one already.

Lord no, who would want to go there "to relax", after spending all day sitting in one already??

I wish they could swap Trenton for Darlene, which is funny because Carly Chaikin was one of the very best parts of Suburgatory, but for me here, it’s like Esmail said “Get me a Kat Dennings Type – only charmless.”  Seriously, not feeling Darlene at all.

• Love 1
Maybe I've lived in Los Angeles too long but I can totally see someone doing a cubicle-themed restaurant if there hasn't been one already.

Funny, I was thinking the opposite for San Francisco, that cubicle themed restaurant would be giving diners way too much table space! (I remember once on a date we were seated at a table that was two small tables put together. To our surprise, some time after we ordered the server pulled the other table away three inches and sat another couple.

• Love 1

I turned this episode off midway through. Really liked the Pilot but the show has gone downhill since which is a shame since I find the actor playing Eliot to be very compelling.