Type keyword(s) to search

Doggett and Reyes: The Next Generation.

Probably doubling with an unpopular opinion, but I loved them.

I loved that Chris Carter and 1013 didn't insult me (I would have been) with some Mulder-lite and/or Scully-lite. No one could compare, not for me anyway.

I wasn't too fond of Doggett when there was an attempt to create UST between Scully and him, making him a pale Mulder replacement in that area imo (plus, I was a finis shipper). But as soon as he became his own character, I came to love him. I loved Mulder to bits, but he needed someone to "friendly" antagonize him, and since neither Scully nor Skinner were playing that role anymore, Dogget was imo perfect in that respect.

I loved Reyes for the levity she brought to the show after years of cancers and deaths in the family and plainly too much gloom for me. I loved her laid-back, matter-of-fact attitude. I loved her girl crush on Scully (hey, who couldn't relate?) and what a good, loyal friend she was to her, to Doggett and even to Mulder. I even liked her goofiness. And I love Mulder to bits so I liked that someone believed in what he said, just on an intellectual level, supporting him on a different level than the -essential- faith that Scully and even Skinner had in him.

I loved the chemistry between Doggett and Reyes, and their relationship. I liked that it wasn't a copy/paste of Mulder and Scully, at least it wasn't in my eyes. I didn't feel that the writers tried to compete or recreate...because how can you replicate such a phenomenom, but tried to make something new.

I love the episodes where the four of them investigate and interact, with all the shades of beliefs and scepticism and the snark, too. Season 8 and 9 are even my favorite after season 1 and 2. Audrey Pauley still counts as one of my favorite episode of the whole show. Looking back, and even though nothing has ever equalled my love for Mulder and Scully so far, and looking at what happens on other shows where cast members left, I am very satisfied with the second X-files team. 

• Love 1

I remember Dogget's introduction being pretty jarring, but I also remember warming to him slightly - particularly in episodes that focused on his character. I also grew to love the Doggett/Scully relationship. I just enjoyed watching them go from distrust/wariness to mutual trust and respect.

And like Happy Harpy, I loved it when Reyes was thrown into the mix, and all four agents worked together.

Doggett/Reyes was a great partnership, and I wish we'd gotten to see more of them as partners - both professional and romantic. 

• Love 1
On 30/07/2017 at 1:43 PM, Gillian Rosh said:

Doggett/Reyes was a great partnership, and I wish we'd gotten to see more of them as partners - both professional and romantic. 

I wished RP returned, and they dumped those young agents, and just brought back Doggett/Reyes teaming up with M&S for the last 2 episodes. 

• Love 2

He's open, but says nobody has asked! Why wouldn't they ask? If you've got Reyes, why wouldn't you want to bring back Doggett, if possible? I loved him. He hasn't aged very well, but man, he was pretty. I mean, not Duchovny pretty, but pretty.

I feel like I remember the last time around he didn't seem interested in reviving Doggett. If he is now I'll bet he has seen some of the bitching by fans(like me!) who are pissed that he didn't even get a mention in season 10.  Yeah, he hasn't aged super well but damn he was hot back in the X-Files days. I was in love. I'd love for him to be on season 11. He still has tons of charisma. 

• Love 1

Last time around he was fairly busy with Scorpion, which in terms of employment was a longer and probably overall higher-paying role.  It's also possible that Scorpion wasn't willing to release him to another show - sometimes Shows get Very Jealous of prior Shows.  Steven Culp got Desperate Housewives while he had recurring roles on four other series - DH had to let him work out his contracts, but they didn't let them get extended.   And then, of course, Marc Cherry killed the character off at the end of DH's first season.

Edited by kassygreene
Punctuation!
6 hours ago, festivus said:

I feel like I remember the last time around he didn't seem interested in reviving Doggett.

That was my recollection, too, so I went back and found it:

Robert Patrick, known for his role as John Doggett, Mulder’s season eight and nine replacement, was asked about his time on The X-Files at a Scandinavian Sci-Fi convention. He immediately jumped into why he doesn’t want to be a part of the new episodes.

“I wanna do as many different roles that I can, and not just one thing,” Patrick said. “So the same I feel about with John Doggett and the X-Files. I'm doing a new show right now called Scorpion, that I love. And I’d much rather be doing that show than going backwards and revisiting a character that I’ve already done.”

• Love 1

Yep, I remember reading that now that you've typed it out. Well, I'll say one thing for Scorpion: I tried. I watched about four episodes but I just cannot with that show. I'll have to look for the interview now where he's saying he wouldn't mind returning. I wonder if they even talked to him last time and if they didn't maybe he was a bit miffed about it.

12 minutes ago, festivus said:

I wonder if they even talked to him last time and if they didn't maybe he was a bit miffed about it.

I'm too lazy to go back and look this part up, but I distinctly remember that when that quote of his was reported, it came after it had already been reported somewhere that Doggett and Reyes wouldn't be part of season 10.  Now, obviously Reyes wound up appearing.  But, IF at the time of Patrick being asked the question at the convention, neither one of them had been approached to appear, and especially IF Patrick knew it was being said that Doggett and Reyes weren't going to be part of it, then he was saying, "No, I'm not interested in revisiting the role" after 1013 had already said, "We're not interested in revisiting those characters."