Type keyword(s) to search

Case of the Week Ideas from the News

By often basing their cases of the week on real life events from the news, this show has made it impossible for me to read the daily news without at least once a week saying, "Wow, that would be a great case for The Good Wife."  And judging from my Twitter feed I'm not the only one.

This happened again just yesterday, so I thought we needed a thread where we could add our "wish list" for "ripped from the headline" stories, and maybe our speculation on how it could work within this universe.  (Robert and Michelle King, you're welcome!)

This is my nomination for the week:

http://www.avclub.com/article/newly-filed-lawsuit-alleges-the-idea-for-new-girl-107045

(Short version, two screenwriters are suing Fox and the creators of "New Girl" for allegedly ripping off the idea from a script they shopped around in 2008).

This would easily translate to the world of the show:  the underdog screenwriters engage Florrick/Agos to sue a television production company (repped by LG, of course) over the idea for a show which, knowing this universe, will probably be called "Fresh Miss" or some such.  Robin digs to find internal memos or other evidence to show the studio stole the idea from the aspiring screenwriters, while Kalinda talks to experts in narrative storytelling to show how most of the setup from the show comes from stock narrative tropes, and are not really original to any one person (Well, at least, I hope so).  More likely she'll find evidence that the screenwriters stole the idea from someone else, so they have no standing to sue in court.  Or something.  I'll let the Kings fill in the rest.  I can't do EVERYTHING.

They seem particularly fond of internet kerfuffles so how about:

1. Soap star fired from "The Old and the Settled." Was he just too talented to handle (his legion of fans) or did his hands really wander?

2. Mikki Funke vs. Liveline Woodyhall

3. Fanfic writer vs. any author who does not like other playing in his/her character sandbox.

That last one is a legal powder keg waiting to blow and the Kings take on it would be delicious.

• Love 1

So was S01 E10 (Lifeguard), the episode where Tony Goldwyn (aka Prez Fitz) was getting kickbacks for sentencing kids to a particular juvenile detention center based on this, or is it just a coincidence?

Yeah, it was based on it. I think there was an SVU episode based on it too.

Given this show's penchant for taking on technological issues and the law, I fully expect to see this ruling (just handed down from SCOTUS) cited in a case at some point this season.  Actually a case where someone's cell phone was searched without a warrant would work as a case of the week.

(In summary the decision says police DO need a warrant to search someone's cellphone even if the seizure is incident to arrest).