Type keyword(s) to search

Austin City Limits

• Start Topic

So not many TV shows can claim FORTY seasons on the air, as well as coming out of the TV world to be a cultural and financial touchstone for a whole city (basically they extended the TV show into an annual music festival that's made the city a ton o' bucks over the years).

Most people who haven't seen the show incorrectly infer it's about Country Music.  It's had it's share, but... Austin is basically the Alternative Music capital of the South too, and the show reflects that.

Looking up some of the old shows I remember from years back now.  I remember a good one with Radiohead.  Another with Elvis Costello.  The Flaming Lips. Foo Fighters. The Killers. R.E.M.  A dozen more somewhere in the back of my mind.  I'm gonna have to look around online and see what's up there to remind me.

I love ACL.  I'm a night person and my 3 local PBS stations usually play it on the weekends in the overnight hours (when it's not endless pledge drive time...).  This show, and other music shows like Artists Den, Front & Center, Infinity Hall Live, Mountain Stage, etc... get me through many nights.  I've enjoyed old favorites and discovered new favorites.  

Love Austin City Limits!!

So, here it is, the middle of the night.  They are running the 40th Anniversary show.  Great opening number, with Bonnie Raitt, Brittany Howard, Gary Clark Jr, and Jimmie Vaughn.  Then Sheryl Crow comes out and totally drowns out Kris Kristofferson on "Me and Bobby McGee" - not the greatest performance.  

But then Brittany came back with the Shakes and things seem fine again...

I do enjoy this show.

I won tickets to this when Jack White was there in '12! I'm so shameless in my admiration of this man! Too bad I chose the pit to stand in though because I'm way short lol. And taller guys got in front of me. But the experience was awesome and I'd never give it up.

Pretty awesome people attend these shows too. They briefly flashed on one of Jack's tour poster artists, whom I spent a lot of time talking with pre show. Heard rumors of people like Adrian Grenier being there, for example.

Also very odd to have your own view of the show, and see the filmed finished product. So glad they caught this tour, since JW used the two band gimmick (ladies vs guys) that he discontinued on the following tour.

• Love 2
On 1/1/2017 at 10:55 PM, ebk57 said:

One of my PBS stations is showing the 1979 Tom Waits show this weekend.  If they are showing it in your neck o' the woods, you should watch!

Hey, I was at that show.  It was a double bill with Leon Redbone and Tom Waits, although for broadcast they split up the performances into separate episodes, and put Redbone's with one by Steve Fromholz.

So if a broadcast episode has two acts, they may not have performed on the same night.  Or maybe this is the only time that ever happened.  Episodes for other shows I went to have both people who shared the bill.

• Love 1

I just posted about a band I saw this past Saturday on this show.  OMG, they were awesome!  I had never heard of the band. It's called Shinyribs.  Did anyone see them.  I posted one my favorite tunes on the Music forum.  Don't think I can double post. 

I came across this show last night on a local PBS station while flipping channels at almost midnight.  Wish I had known about it sooner.  Since it's on so late, it seems to be missed in the newspaper TV listings.  The band last night was Spoon and I enjoyed them tremendously.  Today, while looking at the Austin City Limits website, I found "tons" of other good artists' programs.  They now have a new fan!  Why, oh why, do we never hear about this show, a hidden gem?

• Love 1

Oh yeah!  Someone else has found the show and this thread!  Welcome!!

I've been tempted to post here lately because I think this season so far has been stellar.  Ray Wylie Hubbard's debut performance (why did it take so long for ACL to have him???) was fab.  And the anniversary shows (John Prine, Asleep At The Wheel, etc.) have been so enjoyable.  

Pat Benatar and Neil Girado, 44 years as a musical and 41 as a married couple put on a great show. I remember being introduced to her  on that 1980  night on Don Kirshner's Rock concert while waiting for the O'Jays 

• Like 1