Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: (Please Let Me Love You And) It Won't Be Wrong

Emma's absence is felt when the Manson family makes a documentary; Hodiak makes a deal with Ken Karn to save his son.

Penultimate episode time!  Which means that a lot of stories get wrapped up, but others are set-up for the big finale.

Hodiak finally gets to Louise Mitchell, but instead of pursuing the case, he instead makes a deal with Ken to bury it, and then Ken get him in contact with people who can help Hodiak's son avoid getting arrested.  Hope it's all worth it, but it sure looks like Hodiak is getting worse.  Got drunk enough to the point that he and Shafe finally get into an argument and a fist fight that was thankfully brief. Grace now knows the truth too, but she just wants to have a "fresh start" now, with Ken.  Easier said then done, since now that friend of Ken is back and bloodied up, and saying it "happened again."  Oh, boy.

The music guy comes back and begins filming a documentary on Charlie and his followers, that starts out well (at least as crazy cults go), but then ends poorly, once they capture Charlie beating the shit out of Sadie, after he finds out what she did to Emma.  It looked like he destroyed the evidence though at the end, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is more to this.

Shafe is now going forward with trying to find out who killed the guy from the gay bar.  He's knows where the material came from thanks to Charmain, and Hodiak helped connect it to a judge and got a description, but he still is trying to find a suspect.

I'm guessing Cutler getting the Lieutenant drunk and busted by the higher-up, is him trying to get the guy oust, so he be the new lieutenant permanently.

Got a bad feeling they brought Rachel/the dancer that has a crush on Hodiak back, only for something bad to happen to her.  Don't trust Lucielle for a second.

(edited)

Fortunately I happened to watch this episode right before "Home is Where You're Happy" aired on NBC live, or I would never have been able to pull out of my addled brain that the "Hispanic" guy described (serial killer in the show who is not Charles Manson) is the guy from the public restroom encounter with Ken and is played by the not-Latino-sounding-named David J. Wright.*

But then same with Charlie Sheen's stage name, and I've heard too many times myself "You're *ethnic reference*? You don't look *ethnic reference*" and Sam's Jewish father is played by Italian namesaked Richard Libertini, so it's all good on the PC front, but, seriously, did the show runners learn nothing about coherent story telling from Breaking Bad? Sigh. I still like you a lot, Aquarius, but you don't make it easy. I'm thinking this show would have done better not being released online for bingeing so posters could generate lists of characters in advance of seeing episodes. Maybe that was the original game plan and NBC screwed it up as networks so often do?

*Whoops. Not the same guy.

Edited by shapeshifter
(edited)

Why is Emma Charlie's favorite? Is Sadie right and its because she is Ken's daughter. I understand he was mad Sadie brought her to the man but still. Does he really consider Emma to be the prettiest? Is that what it is.

Edited by ShadowHunter

...did the show runners learn nothing about coherent story telling from Breaking Bad? Sigh. I still like you a lot, Aquarius, but you don't make it easy. 

As the show gets later into the season, I'm finding myself simply "not getting" (and being relatively content not to get, in the sense of "what, me worry?") about 15-20% of it. I had ascribed this to my getting old and feeble-minded, but you raise the possibility that the show is not being as clear as it could be. (Of course, both could be true.)

• Love 1
(edited)

Why is Emma Charlie's favorite? Is Sadie right and its because she is Ken's daughter. I understand he was mad Sadie brought her to the man but still. Does he really consider Emma to be the prettiest? Is that what it is.

ShadowHunter, I think your question has been in the back of my mind every time Emma is on screen, but I never thought about it consciously. And now that you've brought it up, I'm finally thinking the casting of Emma was genius (whether accidentally or on purpose) because she could be "the prettiest" to some, but not necessarily to all. I had just assumed she was supposed to be arrestingly beautiful because the other characters said she was, and it's not unusual to see average looking actors cast in roles in which every other person in the room is supposed to find that person gorgeous. So, now that you ask, I think it is just that she is the daughter of Ken, who does still have power, which makes her valuable, but Charlie wanted to make his family (including/especially Emma herself) believe her value is in being the "prettiest" (although doesn't Manson also say she's the smartest in this episode too?). Manson is shrewdly masking the true value of Emma as an asset--but not from Sadie, evidently.

Edited by shapeshifter

Was the Hispanic guy at the bar really the same one that Ken had sex with in that park bathroom? I'd have to go back and check but I'm 99% sure they're two totally different guys.

So, is Emma just languishing in jail somewhere?

Yeah, I really didn't need to see Charlie almost beat Sadie to death, despite the kind of shitty person she is now and the absolutely awful person she's going to become. And, again, we all knew he wasn't going to actually kill her, blah blah blah. But, ok...am I totally imagining this, or is the crew that came to film the Family somewhat based in reality? I feel like I read about someone coming to make a documentary about the Family before the murders, but the footage was lost only for some of it to turn up decades later. Maybe I'm mixing up my famous cult-gone-wrong legends.

Was the Hispanic guy at the bar really the same one that Ken had sex with in that park bathroom? I'd have to go back and check but I'm 99% sure they're two totally different guys...

Yeah, you are correct, they are different. And now I have to go back and correct wherever it was that I posted they were the same. Too many darn binge threads.