Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Why?

Charmain's first ride-along ends when her fellow officers are gunned down, the first in a series of cop killings. Her resolve is put to the test as Hodiak and Shafe enlist the Panthers to help find the shooter.

Ah, the always favorite story were someone is killing cops, so that really sets the police folks off.  In this case, it was apparently a racist who was targeting uniforms, that consisted of both a white cop and a black one.  I guess he really doesn't like mixing racists.  Anyway, you know it was bad when even Shafe was perfectly find with breaking some rules.  But in the end, it ends up being Charmain (who witnessed the first killings), that lies in her statement that she saw the killer, after Hodiak's pushing.  Sadly, it is true that if she didn't, they probably would have canned her, I suspect.  But is certainly dark that the closest she's come to "being one of the guys" (in Hodiak's words, more or less), is when she abuses her power as a cop.  Thought Claire Holt did a good job in all of it: especially when Charmain was in shock right after the shooting.

Did like the return of Bunchy, and him helping out Hodiak.  Of course, that was once he realized that the killer was white and that helping Hodiak would mean a nice FU to the police force, so he certainly didn't do it out of the kindness of his heart.  But I like they still aren't friends of anything.  Hodiak: "Merry Christmas, Bunchy!" Bunchy: "Blow it out your ass, Hodiak!"  Heh.

Shafe's cover is still intact, but it looks like he can't get in with Lucille and Roy yet, until he gets in with whoever that dude is, that is currently in hiding.

Ken's now destroyed all the evidence, so Charles can no longer hold it over him, but they still fall into bed anyway.  Plus, Charles' got other fish to fry now.  Mainly Hodiak.  Looks like he just spiked Hodiak's drink, so I wonder what he has planned now.

• Love 2
(edited)

Charmain: My father is an irresponisble, morally ambiguous, charming drunk.

Hodiak: Yeah? So?

Charmain: So you know what you smell like to me? Home cooking.

I like the way Hodiak treats her like a daughter, but I can't resist pointing out that the actress playing Charmain is only 5 years younger than the actress playing Grace.

So. Did Ken kill the prostitute 8 years ago, or did Manson? Not that they couldn't have done it together.

Shafe's cover is still intact, but it looks like he can't get in with Lucille and Roy yet, until he gets in with whoever that dude is, that is currently in hiding.

Closed captioning says "Guapo," but there's no "Guapo" listed in the IMDb credits. "Guapo" means "handsome," FWIW.

The best parts of the episode were the writing of the gender and race issues. I appreciated that they were nuanced.

Aaannd, Hodiak flies off into the sunset.

Edited by shapeshifter

I loooooved seeing the Bob's Big Boy Broiler restaurant in Downey, CA. First time I ever went to Bob's, my aunts took me there when I was 10 and I fell in love with the hot fudge sundaes. The place still looks like it did back then. That was the only redeeming factor for me in this episode, the rest was too gory and dark.

Aw man, poor Charmain. She witnesses two fellow officers being killed in front of her, is blamed by another cop for not getting killed as well, and then is basically forced to lie in order to put the man who did it behind bars. And that's not even counting the day-to-day sexist bullshit she has to put up with from these jag wagons.

So Ken gets rid of the blackmail that Manson could use against him...and still sleeps with Manson? Dude.

Where is Emma???

So what is Manson trying to accomplish by spiking Hodiak's drink? Does he just want to mess with him or is he trying to incapacitate him so that he can take him back to the compound and kill him? Or rape him? Or both?

• Love 1

Did they really have photos on the drivers licence in California back in 1967?  I assumed it was in the 70s before that was law.  But they showed them looking at the killer's photo on the licence.