Type keyword(s) to search

Strike Back - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 3/25/2019 at 12:29 PM, blackwing said:

I really hope nothing happens to Jamie Bamber.  Usually this show loses the Head of Section very frequently but I hope he survives

The very fact that he's being played by Jamie Bamber (who gets killed off in literally everything other thing he stars in, last I checked, 10 or 11 of his characters have kicked the bucket) would indicate that he's doomed.

I finally caught an episode last night. I'm glad to see Bamber is as beautiful as ever.

On 3/30/2020 at 9:27 AM, Camille said:

The very fact that he's being played by Jamie Bamber (who gets killed off in literally everything other thing he stars in

Does he share an agent with Sean Bean???

[Interior: Casting Office]

Casting Director: Kenneth Branagh wants to re-imagine Thelma & Louise...but with dudes... who is available now?

Agent: Beaner & Bamber

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 2
18 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Also: Bamber survived in NCIS, he was just character-assassinated and sent away.

Yes, and I'm still bitter about that. But to this day, I'm sure that the story of Qasim was intended for him, so he probably WOULD have been killed off.

It's true that not every one of his characters has been killed off (much like Bean), but it's been so many of them (again, like Bean). Bamber himself said in an interview that he was surprised that Coltrane has survived (though I think that's more due to the role itself, rather than the fact that Jamie Bamber is playing him.

I caught up on Season 7 (as it's called in the US) this weekend. What an excellent show. I'm sorry I never heard of it before. I love Bamber's work. He's terrific as Coltrane. And as I wrote earlier, still insanely fucking gorgeous.

Though it's a little unnerving seeing him play an often ruthless killer, no matter how necessary it is.

ETA, how fucking hot did he look in that black T-shirt? (episode 7). I'm glad to see he's still got the "Bamberceps". Jeez. I wanted to jump into the TV and on top of him.

Does anyone else love it when he curses? Something about these vulgar words coming out of this incredibly handsome man's mouth is quite titillating.

Edited by Camille
  • Love 1
On 4/12/2020 at 10:37 PM, Camille said:

Does anyone else love it when he curses? Something about these vulgar words coming out of this incredibly handsome man's mouth is quite titillating.

Accent is everything...Ben Kingsley, Ian McShane and even Jason Statham make swearing sound better..

• LOL 1
57 minutes ago, paigow said:

Accent is everything...Ben Kingsley, Ian McShane and even Jason Statham make swearing sound better..

Ah, yes. The Everything Sounds Sexier In French trope. One of my favorites, because. . .it's true.

Was anyone else thinking right up until literally the last minute that Coltrane was going to be killed? 

Great episode, but it's such a shame the money turned out to be fake. 

I'm glad Ariana got her just desserts, because it seriously looked like she was going to get away with everything.

ETA how magnificent did Jamie Bamber's ass look in those pants? Yowza.

Edited by Camille
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Camille said:

I'm glad Ariana got her just desserts, because it seriously looked like she was going to get away with everything.

Wyatt went Indiana Jones on the interrogator...Novin is walking to Guatemala? Because Wyatt is likely driving north to Texas...

On 4/17/2020 at 11:23 PM, paigow said:

Wyatt went Indiana Jones on the interrogator...Novin is walking to Guatemala? Because Wyatt is likely driving north to Texas...

And Coltrane seemed to be walking off to the beach. So is he going to just sit there until he decides what to do?

Arianna's not too bright after all, is she? She's got the Russian and Albanian mafias chasing her, plus S20, yet she's living all relaxed and comfortable, without any security or a weapon nearby.

FYI, Bamber has a boat license--that was HIM driving the boat throughout the chase sequence.

I'm so annoyed that the money they risked their lives to steal turned out to be fake. After all that hell. Especially since Arianna was right--disappearing is expensive. It's a little bittersweet to think that they'll probably always be looking over their shoulders.

Edited by Camille
On 4/20/2020 at 11:12 AM, FinnishViewer said:

I wonder if they'll reboot this with a new team in a couple of years again.

Coltrane gets the John Porter / Ned Stark execution. Novin & Wyatt are forced out of retirement to help the new team get revenge....

On 9/10/2018 at 1:42 PM, paigow said:

Seems like "Head of Section 20" is a death sentence rather than a promotion....Has anyone actually retired?

Coltrane made it to that point, which as I stated earlier is pretty shocking considering both the role and the fact that he was played by Jamie Bamber, who's had about 10 or 11 of his characters kick the bucket.

I just finished watching the previous season. I really liked it and again, I thoroughly enjoyed Bamber's performance. I'm just quite disappointed that we only got one shirtless scene.

On 4/22/2020 at 9:06 AM, paigow said:

Coltrane gets the John Porter / Ned Stark execution. Novin & Wyatt are forced out of retirement to help the new team get revenge....

I've got a bad feeling that's exactly what would happen if there's a reboot.

Throw in Zarkova joining up with them.

On 4/20/2020 at 9:12 AM, FinnishViewer said:

I wonder if they'll reboot this with a new team in a couple of years again.

Well Cinemax is no longer making original content (which means Jett isn't getting a second season dammit) so here's hoping they change their position.

I enjoyed Strikeback 3.0, thought the team did well together. The finale seemed pretty rushed but so did the one for the Scott/Stonebridge version. I'd been expecting Chetri's death from pretty much the moment she showed up but Mac's was a surprise. One thing to notice over the series' run is how section 20 keeps shrinking, during the first Scott/Stonebridge years there was a whole command team back at the crib with other field operators, in then end they're reduced to 5 people including their tech person and commander running missions i nthe field.

On 5/3/2020 at 1:36 PM, MrWhyt said:

I'd been expecting Chetri's death from pretty much the moment she showed up

Yep. If it isn't the guy who's due for retirement who gets killed off (the Retirony trope), it's the Naive Newcomer.

On 5/15/2020 at 2:17 PM, Camille said:

Yep. If it isn't the guy who's due for retirement who gets killed off (the Retirony trope), it's the Naive Newcomer.

I agree.  We had Chetri, Sgt Baxter, Kate (Stonebridge's girlfriend), Julia Richmond, Will Jensen.

To be fair... there were plenty of veteran deaths too.  John Porter, Major Dalton, Philip Locke, Major Sinclair, Mac, Hugh Collinson, Colonel Grant, Colonel Donovan.  Although the last three might be considered deserved for their betrayals.

I do think this show made it fairly evident that anybody can die, even a main character.  Nobody was safe.  In that respect, it was very much like "24".

On 4/12/2020 at 1:54 PM, paigow said:

Does he share an agent with Sean Bean???

Amusingly enough, they are both cited on the Chronically Killed Actor tropes page (I wrote the Bamber entry).