Type keyword(s) to search

The Lion's Mouth Opens

• Start Topic

Filmmaker-actress Marianna Palka gathers her friends for a dinner party the night before a doctor's appointment to learn the results of a test that will determine if she's inherited Huntington's disease from her father.

Premieres Monday, June 1, at 9 PM.

This broke my heart. I can't imagine having this sword basically hanging over your head and not knowing when it's going to drop. I don't know that I'd be that brave to want to find out if I had the gene. 

I saw her movie "Good Dick" at its Sundance premiere and loved it, though I can't say whether it's because it's great or because I saw it in the vacuum of Sundance where everything is fresh and untainted by other people's opinions. Jason Ritter, who costars, also gave a very moving explanation at the Q&A of his character's backstory. He said (and I paraphrase) that we are meeting his character in the second act of his life and that he knows what it is to be loved unconditionally. He has seen how you can literally love someone back to life and he wants to give that to someone else. I thought that was such a lovely sentiment that it has stuck with me all this time.

Sorry to be OT, but I'll definitely be checking out this documentary, as heartbreaking as it sounds.

• Love 1

I watched this last night and I had a hard time sleeping. She seems like such a lovely, brave woman.

I had exactly the same experience and reaction. I am glad she has such loving support. 

And Sarah's analysis was perfect. Honest and respectful. I can't even imagine figuring out how to write that particular piece, given that it's a review, but it struck just the right tone. Thank you.