Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Our Town, Our Law

Now after watching this ep a third time, I just noticed the mention of the name Pilcher.  When Hassler is on the phone in Seattle, he's telling "Mr. Pilcher" that Theresa had just logged into the computer and will be headed "your way".  Then later, in the woods with Kate, Ethan asks her, "Tell me about this Pilcher..." (not the exact wording, maybe).  I don't see that name in the IMDB character list (yet), but it's worth keeping an ear out for it in the future.  I might need to go back for more rewatches to confirm, but I don't think Ethan ever heard that name before, so Kate must have said something else and we were not privvy to their full conversation in the woods.

I think that was a continuity or editing mistake.  He shouldn't know who Pilcher is.  Unless it's what you're saying, that we're to assume Kate told him about this in the woods.  I only watched it once, and wondered if this was a goof at the time, but Kate shouldn't know either.  Now I'm confused.  lol 

This. Why don't they just tell Ethan the truth? Clearly he is not going to be convinced to just play along, and some residents like Pope and the nurse do know, so why not? Wouldn't it be easier than dealing with his craziness?

I think the time-grabbing theory is a good one and explains a lot, but my main problem with it is, how could the charade of normalcy work at all if everyone believes it is a different year? Beverly had to think it was 2000, Kate must think it is 2026, and obviously Ethan thinks it's 2014. Not talking about your past might help some inconsistencies, but there's no rule saying not to talk about what year it is. Are there no calendars in WP? I did notice that the Wyoming license plate had a "14" sticker on it, but perhaps it could be 100 years or more in the future (or this could just be a prop error.)

I don't know. I rewatched the sheriff scenes and aside from the slicked-back hair, he looks the same in "2014" as in WP. Same with Dr. Jenkins, who has thinning hair so it would have been easy for them to just give him less hair in WP. With Kate, they went overboard to show she'd aged, not just a soft-focus lens but I think they even used digital effects to make her look younger in her "past". So at this point I'm not sure what to think.

As for TH and Empire, here's an article that sheds some light and maybe gives a few tiny hints as well: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/28/wayward-pines-ep-chad-hodge-episode-3-our-town-our-law

Probably not a spoiler, but being cautious in case you don't want to read the article.  And now, without further ado..

Interesting he says "the real residents of Wayward Pines have adapted..."

The real residents? Hmm

Now that's my kind of hospital.  :)

Sheriff Pope seemed to go off the deep end at the confrontation there, as though he was a bit overwhelmed with the Burke family instead of being his usual unctuous self.  Maybe #1 stepped on him for some miscue?  One thing caught my eye.  They were leaving on the road, and are just out of town when he catches up with them.  Can't be too far out of town because Ethan catches up right away also.  Yet the Wall is right there, presumably visible from the road, but Ethan apparently missed it on his joy ride around town in daylight. 

Maybe it's not The Wall.  Maybe it's a cage.

• Love 2

So, there's two timelines.  One is standard day with 1999 AD, 2014 AD, etc.  The other is Wayward Pines time which occurs something like 2 billion years in the future where the only life is in this small town and the rest of the world is a hellscape stalked by monsters.  So, The Master kidnaps Kate from 2014 and takes her to year 2 billion and 1.  He goes to year 1999 and kidnaps Beverly, then brings her to WP in the year 2 billion 13.  Finally, he grabs Ethan and brings him to WP in year 2 billion and 14.  So, even though Beverly was taken 15 years before Ethan, she only aged a year.  Meanwhile, Kate, who was taken only 5 weeks before Ethan, has aged 13 years in Wayward Pines.

Yes, that's pretty much what I was thinking. If you're traveling through time there's more than just Point A and Point B. Not only could these people have been zapped out of different years in the past, they could also be zapped into different years in the future (assuming Wayward Pines is in the future; otherwise, reverse it if it's in the distant past). 

It also explains the kid in the convenience store who said WP was some little "nothing" town down the road. In 2014, that's exactly what it is. It's still where it was in 2014, but now it's a different year and it looks very different.

• Love 3

Not only could these people have been zapped out of different years in the past, they could also be zapped into different years in the future

Different years in our future, right?  I think we have to accept the day that Ethan came to WP as our year 0 and WP's year 0 and measure forwards and backwards from there or we're going to tie ourselves up in Gordian knots!

• Love 1

Lol, it is messed up. But does everyone know what's going on? Are there two kinds of people in WP or something? The snatched from lives and then some other kind? The kind who are cool with public executions, for example? This is getting to Lost levels of messing with my head.

I was thinking something along those lines as well. For example, the barista seemed completely ingenuous. If there are different types, she would definitely not be of the same type as the sheriff, the nurse, or the doctor.

• Love 1

I was thinking something along those lines as well. For example, the barista seemed completely ingenuous. If there are different types, she would definitely not be of the same type as the sheriff, the nurse, or the doctor.

WP has been around for at least 12 years.  So the barista may have been born there and not known anything different.  Which could also explain her only knowing Kate by her married name.

• Love 3
(edited)

I wandered over to the A.V.Club to read some other comments, where someone posted, "Families nowadays are finding that the big city life can be pretty cutthroat."  No context was given, so I'm assuming they were simply being witty.  However, this did remind me of something heard in the background of one scene.  When Theresa and Ben are in the car pulling up to the gas station in Lowman, the radio is saying, "...Even young families are feeling the pull to smaller towns, preferring the atmosphere of an intimate community to the opportunity of a big city."  Nice little bit of flavor hidden there.

So now I'm pulling out my notes to see what else might be worth commenting on. 

* How about the early scene with Ethan on the run in the woods?  I heard a coyote howl -- probably artificial, right?

* Kate's home refrigerator has a large letter 'K' plastered on the door.  Random, much?

* When Ethan finds Beverly's body, her feet are bare.  Keep an eye out for the knee-high boots she was wearing at her execution?

* Ethan walks into Bev's empty house and finds only a bottle of water in the 'fridge, and a wooden block on the counter with the letter 'B' on it.  Brown to Burke and they don't even need to change that prop.

* His mailbox goes from 'Brown' to blacked-out to 'Burke' like magic. Those house flippers sure do work fast!  Reminds me of an episode of the Twilight Zone.

Is it Thursday yet?

Edited by KDeFlane
  • Love 5

And why can't they see any fence when they are driving into town?

I was all intrigued with this show until Pope was magically pulled into the base of the fence.  Unless Ethan wakes up from a coma at the end of the show, it seems the "answers" will end up being supernatural mumbo jumbo without any sort of logic.

Stick with it.  I promise you this is not the case, and the explanation is wonderful.

• Love 3

That's encouraging, Kobo Duram, thank you.

(Been burned before; I am looking at you, Under the Dome!)

That's the reason why I want this show to be self contained.

• Love 3