Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E06: Willie Robinson

• Start Topic

Ha - I know that movie playing behind Colin! It's called Basket Case, and it's a masterpiece of terrible cinema (the thing wasn't an alien; it was the protagonist's deformed siamese twin brother that he carried around in a basket until it started to get jealous of his life and started killing people. Or something.) It's just as bad as I remember. What a great choice for that bit.

Aisha Tyler seems to be relaxing and enjoying herself more this season, which is fun to see. I enjoyed this one.

• Love 3

Thanks for telling us what that movie was. So bad and so funny.

I'm not a fan of Aisha as the host of the show. 

I didn't realize who Willie Robinson was until Aisha introduced him. I've never watched Duck Dynasty. Willie seems like a nice enough fellow. I didn't think Song Duet was all that good, but I did appreciate how low-key Willie was. As for Helping Hands, I actually kind of enjoyed it. I don't know why.

Not enough Jeff!

(edited)

Bit of a lackluster episode for me. Willie Robertson was probably about as good as a "reality tv" star could be, but that means unintrusive and nothing more. They could have just used a cardboard cutout of him for the same effect.

The duet was fine, but not as good as I'd hope for a duet between Mick Jagger and Neil Diamond. I think that might partly be the choice of accompanyment Linda and Laura chose, and partly be because I so fondly remember the Neil/Kanye duo from last season. It wasn't bad, but just felt a little mechanical.

Field reporter was great, and a nice choice of video. (Thanks for identifying it @Thog.) Scenes from a hat were good too, but I thought the "ruin the moment" ones dragged on a little. I wanted another idea to keep it moving.

And Helping Hands ... Well what can we say about that game that hasn't been said a hundred times already?

Edited by Amarsir
  • Love 1

It was fun, just not the same degree of funny. Which is still pretty fun.

Intros: Wayne- Mr. Entertainment, Jeff- Mr. California, Colin- Mr. Maple Syrup and Ryan- Mr. Potato Head.

Games: Questions, Duet, Newsflash, Scenes From a Hat and Helping Hands.

When I rewatched the episode, I sat through HH and that was almost a bad call. With most of the previous CW Helping Hands, they could be gross, but I somehow never felt queasy. This one? I could not look at the computer monitor, just like the first watch of Newsflash, post basket opening. Ryan is the one that proves his comedic chops in having to endure this game. Especially when the majority of his scene partners don't seem game. The ones that do really stand out, like Adaline Kane from this season

Despite not being able to look at my TV for the original airing of Newsflash, I loved the questions and the audience's reactions.  Now if they can find some public domain movies with unusual-seeming scenes for Movie Dub... .

Questions was fun, but this is a great mix for the game. I enjoyed how Jeff exited the first time.

Duets wasn't quite Kanye/Neil, but it was still fun.  Jeff seems really great about finding things the audience can join in and do. Maybe it is part of the Neil Diamond headspace.  Then the whole back-and-forth between Aisha and Ryan! It was great! It was almost flirty, in the good, silly way.

Scenes From a Hat was like Duet, in that it wasn't a highlight, but it was still pretty fun. Wayne in the last "scene" was great. Still, the scene had a fun premise, so I feel a bit robbed. (If none of the others wanted to attempt rapping- and has mentioned this to TPTB- then adding that audience suggestion was disingenuous on TPTB's part. I disbelieve that Aisha's hat has all the audience's suggestions.)

Overall, a very good, fast-paced half hour that is good for multiple watches!

• Love 1

Scenes From a Hat was like Duet, in that it wasn't a highlight, but it was still pretty fun. Wayne in the last "scene" was great. Still, the scene had a fun premise, so I feel a bit robbed. (If none of the others wanted to attempt rapping- and has mentioned this to TPTB- then adding that audience suggestion was disingenuous on TPTB's part. I disbelieve that Aisha's hat has all the audience's suggestions.)

Call me naïve, but what does TPTB stand for? Also, Wayne just nailed that last suggestion, though I was expecting Colin (the most Canadian rapper before Drake (I AM NOT COUNTING BIEBER)) would step in and show he's got the skill. :P Also, coincidence Colin wore a camouflage shirt when Willie Robinson was on. Ah, America...

I would say now that WL is gaining more viewers, I'd hope they'd do some holiday-themed episodes like 4th of July, but I think it would be unlikely especially since Colin is Canadian, but I think I'm well aware after watching him all these years is that the US has gladly accepted him. He's like America's Canadian Sweetheart of Comedy. Maybe a Canada-themed episode of WL? :P