Type keyword(s) to search

Moriarty: Not a Professor

Instead, she's a woman! And she's Irene Adler!

I truthfully did not see that one coming. I am pleased with it, as it shows us the writers aren't afraid to take risks and play with the Sherlock Holmes canon beyond making Watson a woman.

On the other hand, I don't know how much more we will get. I suppose it depends on how often they can get Natalie Dormer to guest star.

A friend and I have a disagreement over the BBC's version of Irene Adler. She loved the character, while I was displeased with the fact that she didn't ultimately beat Sherlock like in the canon - she never seemed like a true equal in the end. The BBC Moriarty however, could be even smarter than Sherlock.

Here, Sherlock once again triumphed over both, but I feel that this mash-up of Adler/Moriarty is more on his level. She concealed the fact they were the same person for years from the best detective mind in the world, and was able to nearly destroy him by driving him to abuse drugs.

Their love/hate relationship is very intriguing, I hope we get some of it every season. 

P.S. The sex will be mind-blowing when it finally happens again.

• Love 3
Here, Sherlock once again triumphed over both, but I feel that this mash-up of Adler/Moriarty is more on his level.

I wouldn't say that Sherlock triumphed over Adler/Moriarty (Moriadler!), since it was Watson who managed to figure her out. 

Natalie Dormer as Moriarty is one of my favorite characters, but I hope the show doesn't reuse her too often. I'd hate for her to become another Spike. 

• Love 2

I can see where the ND love comes from because she's amazing in GoT. That said, I've never cared about Moriarity one way or another. I dread her showing up again because it will become all about her and the "great love" when I just want to get along with the show.

I thought it was a good twist and suits ND' s delightful slyness. I like how assertive she was meeting him the first time. JLM had real chemistry with her and now we know Sherlock likes blondes. Third known blonde lover! Ha.

I liked her with Joan too. They weren't written too catty. Joan had her stupid bitch line but otherwise their interaction was interesting. I like that Joan admitted to being too angry to be afraid. Lucy Liu can be rather subtle just like the BBC Watson. The scene wasn't overplayed.

• Love 1

For my part I love the way they've used her in the series.  Even without her physical presence, Moriarty is a force to be reckoned with.  I especially loved her "uninvited players are not welcome at the table" bit from her letter to Watson in the third season.  See, Sherlock, that's how you do a recurring nemesis.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, Driad said:

Bumping this thread, because IMO it is a better place to discuss M's background etc. than the episode threads.

Well, Moriarty's background.  M was Sebastian Moran, the rugby-loving "serial killer" from the first season, wonderfully played by Vinnie Jones.

6 hours ago, basil said:

Hey johnfs! Is Moran still alive or not? I know he tried to kill himself, but did he succeed?

We really don't know.  The last time I saw him he'd tried to break his own skull by smashing it against a wall.  There wasn't much comment after that.

(edited)

That was my recollection, thanks. I thought it was a mirror, and I don't think they verified he died - but like the Russian guy, he tried to kill himself to protect his family.

Edited by basil