Type keyword(s) to search

Code Black: Anticipation

I remember 'code black' from an early 'Grey's Anatomy'.  It was the one where they had the unexploded shell in the guy's abdomen and it meant 'bomb scare' and to evacuate the hospital.  I'm not sure what 'code black' will mean in this show, since googling the phrase seemed to bring up different definitions for different hospitals/settings.

I'm kind of looking forward to this, but I'm hoping that it's going to be more 'gritty' than 'I will not allow this patient to die on my watch.  Do you hear me?''-type of show.  However, the promos seem to point more toward the latter type of show.  I'll give it a try, though.

Not a lot of anticipation here. I'm going to follow the forum and sites for the first few episodes. I'm not really into medical dramas, but the possibility that this is realistic (I assume, since it's based on a documentary) intrigues me. I'm not all that bothered by the theatrics of it, since this is a show and it needs a mainstream audience, but if it's soapy like Grey's or similar to House, I won't bother.

Edited by Crim

I'm excited for this one!  I love the cast (especially MGH and Raza Jaffrey) and I've desperately missed a good medical show since my beloved ER went off the air.  Hopefully this fits the bill.  

• Love 2

I'm excited for this one! I love the cast (especially MGH and Raza Jaffrey) and I've desperately missed a good medical show since my beloved ER went off the air. Hopefully this fits the bill.

That's how I feel too! I'm desperately waiting for a medical show that is more like ER and less Grey's. I have high hopes and I'm telling everyone to watch the show too because I don't want it to be canceled due to low numbers.

• Love 2

A review from Hitfix.

What "Code Black" has is a pretty good cast — headed by Marcia Gay Harden as a veteran ER doctor whose tragic backstory inspires her to push her residents (including Bonnie Somerville, Melanie Chandra, Harry M. Ford, and Benjamin Hollingsworth) to the limit, Luis Guzman as the supportive but sarcastic chief nurse, Raza Jaffrey as a surgeon who's mainly there to disapprove of Harden's cowboy ways, William Allen Young as the hospital's longest-serving attending, plus Kevin Dunn from "Veep" in a recurring role as the ER chief — solid production values (the emergency room itself has its own distinct look and feel), and a fairly comprehensive knowledge of the kinds of stories that people who like hospital dramas will react to.

[L]et me put it this way: does knowing that one of the residents will wind up having to deliver a baby in the back of an ambulance that's stuck in traffic make you more or less likely to want to tune in tomorrow night?

• Love 1