Type keyword(s) to search

Bates Motel vs Psycho

This is the place to chat about the similarities and differences between this awesome 'prequel' series and the movie that spawned it :) I own Psycho and have seen it about 12 million times, but even I miss some of Bates Motel's more subtle references to the movie until you guys point them out. I loved the finale's "Oh, Mother, what have you done?!" Freddie Highmore's delivery even sounded like Anthony Perkins' there.  

Has anyone watched the Psycho sequels? I'm thinking I may have to watch them in the very near future. 

• Love 3

I watched Psycho with my kids a few weeks ago. I was pleased that they liked it even if it was an old film. The only sequel I saw was Psycho 4: The Beginning, since Bates Motel is about a young Norman Bates.

• Love 1

I too own the original and have also seen it twelve million times :)  I also own Psycho III.  I have seen all of the sequels and IMHO, Psycho III is the best as it stars and is directed by Tony Perkins.  I think he really "gets" it.  The one where Olivia Hussey plays Mother is o.k., but not really canon IIRC.

• Love 3

For those of us who might be interested in watching the Psycho sequels (and subsequently obsessing over perceived similarities/contrasts to the original movie and the show!), all three are available for a low price at amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Psycho-II-III-IV-Beginning/dp/B000Q66Q8I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1431538366&sr=8-3&keywords=psycho+III

I just happened to be over there spending money that I don't actually have on these vital necessities :)  

• Love 4
(edited)

You guys have convinced me! I've avoided the sequels until now. 

Of course, now I have to wait until I get some extra cash. ::stares at peacheslatour, looks at checkbook::

amensisterfriend! I knew I've seen you somewhere! I love Supernatural!!

Edited by Mick Lady
  • Love 3

I too own the original and have also seen it twelve million times :)  I also own Psycho III.  I have seen all of the sequels and IMHO, Psycho III is the best as it stars and is directed by Tony Perkins.  I think he really "gets" it.  The one where Olivia Hussey plays Mother is o.k., but not really canon IIRC.

I quoted you peacheslatour, hoping you'd check this out. I got my order from "Heart of Haute" today, and everything was better than expected!! I ordered size 8, and the fit was perfect. The quality of the dresses is outstanding, and I will definitely order from them again.

Thank you so much!

• Love 2

I quoted you peacheslatour, hoping you'd check this out. I got my order from "Heart of Haute" today, and everything was better than expected!! I ordered size 8, and the fit was perfect. The quality of the dresses is outstanding, and I will definitely order from them again.

Thank you so much!

Do tell!  What did you get?  What color?  I love their colors and patterns.

O.k. after last night we know where the peep hole came from. Also I think they were showing us glimpses of the "parlor" in the back of the office. "Let's eat in the parlor, the office is just too officious" Lol.

• Love 3

I watched Psycho, online last night, but fell asleep (I was in pain, and the tylenol finally kicked in). I'd forgotten a lot of it. I saw the sequels when I was younger, but can't remember anything about them, so I'll look them up at some point. I'm recording Psycho tonight, off the Sundance Channel (I think), so I can pick up where I fell asleep last night. 

I recently picked up Psycho 2, 3, 4 and Bates Motel.  So far I've only watched 2.  In the movie Norman was only 12 when he poisoned his mother and her lover.  Norman was released after found guilty by reason of insanity and spent many years in jail.  Everyone seemed to think he was OK.  But it was brought out that Norma Bates was not his real mother, and the woman working at the diner was.  So, when this woman was telling Norman in his kitchen, he killed her by hitting her over the head with a shovel, then carried her up to her bedroom.  Before that he killed the guy who was managing the motel while Norman was in prison and dropped him and his car in the swamp.  He killed a teenage boy who'd been using his cellar for making out with his girl, as well as Marion Crane's sister.  But because there was no direct evidence Norman was not found guilty, and the law was stupid enough to think he now was "normal."

It's hard to compare Freddie and Perkins since Freddie has so much he gets to work with. Freddie is amazing and it's amazing how he can work himself up to do those emotionally charged scenes. Talking about when he is screaming mad and crying. Very realistic.

• Love 3
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 4:00 PM, Rustybones said:

I recently picked up Psycho 2, 3, 4 and Bates Motel.  So far I've only watched 2.  In the movie Norman was only 12 when he poisoned his mother and her lover.  Norman was released after found guilty by reason of insanity and spent many years in jail.  Everyone seemed to think he was OK.  But it was brought out that Norma Bates was not his real mother, and the woman working at the diner was.  So, when this woman was telling Norman in his kitchen, he killed her by hitting her over the head with a shovel, then carried her up to her bedroom.  Before that he killed the guy who was managing the motel while Norman was in prison and dropped him and his car in the swamp.  He killed a teenage boy who'd been using his cellar for making out with his girl, as well as Marion Crane's sister.  But because there was no direct evidence Norman was not found guilty, and the law was stupid enough to think he now was "normal."

Well actually the movie leaves room for ambiguity. Norman could have killed Toomey, but it could have been Emma Spool. She tells him at the end of the movie how she couldn't stand what they were doing to him. So she followed them and then one by one and then..She never says but I always felt she did some of the killing as well.

I like Psycho 2 a lot and think for a sequel they did a good job. The score by Jerry Goldsmith has some good tracks. Its been said Anthony Perkins loved the score also.  You can even feel a little bad for Norman since Lila and Mary were leaving notes from Mother and calling him. It didn't help his sanity. I find it to be and under rated film.

I don't care for 3 or 4.

Edited by ShadowHunter
2 hours ago, ShadowHunter said:

Well actually the movie leaves room for ambiguity. Norman could have killed Toomey, but it could have been Emma Spool. She tells him at the end of the movie how she couldn't stand what they were doing to him. So she followed them and then one by one and then..She never says but I always felt she did some of the killing as well.

I like Psycho 2 a lot and think for a sequel they did a good job. The score by Jerry Goldsmith has some good tracks. Its been said Anthony Perkins loved the score also.  You can even feel a little bad for Norman since Lila and Mary were leaving notes from Mother and calling him. It didn't help his sanity. I find it to be and under rated film.

I don't care for 3 or 4.

Just noticed this post. I loved 3 and 4. I loved three because we got to see up and close the relationship to that corpse and it was creepy. I like 4 because it offered us the background but I don't see how he was able to be released from the mental hospital after all the more people he killed. The thing is I imagine Norman from Bates motel having a fate similar to norman in psycho 4 but without the fear and  intent to kill his soon to be baby. For some reason if Norman were cured and given a new life with a wife and child I see it turning out positive.  I do picture him having a daughter  that he names Norma who resembles his mother at some point. And I picture them being very close but without any of the creepy borderline incest that he had with his mother and the relationship would be healthy.  For some reason I guess I picture him getting to start over like in Psycho 4 but like I said without the negative part. We do know that it's highly unlikely though that Norman from Bates motel will get a second chance.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I really like 3. It was directed by Anthony Perkins and he really seems to get how important the house itself is to the overall story. I've always thought of the house as one of the main characters.

I agree the direction is great. I may need to watch it again because the first time I was so distracted. I kept thinking how Norman was attracted to the older Christina Crawford from Mommie Dearest.  Talk about someone who may or may not been a terrible mother.

I also hated Duane so much I was glad he was killed.  I might be wrong but didn't he also kill some cheerleader?

I have all of them on DVD its been years so maybe I could give 3 and 4 another look.

I've never seen any of the "sequel" movies. Now thanks to you guys, I have to! Amazon thanks you too!

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 4:46 PM, peacheslatour said:

I really like 3. It was directed by Anthony Perkins and he really seems to get how important the house itself is to the overall story. I've always thought of the house as one of the main characters.

Peacheslatour, you cost me money everytime I read your posts!

• Love 1

Even though I can't express my love for Psycho enough (it's the one movie I can watch again anytime and still be impressed), I think Bates Motel told a better story and had better casting.

I also love Psycho 2, which is as good as horror sequel can get. They had elements of the first one, but didn't make the same movie again. It was psychologically very interesting film.

Psycho 3 is awful, truly the worst one of them all, just a cheap, slimy slasher flick. Which automatically wouldn't be a bad thing, since 80's slashers are my weakness, but this one just had nothing good in it.

Psycho 4 is okay, but forgettable. I've only seen it once and have no intentions watching it again.

Haven't seen The Bates Motel, as it doesn't appear to have much in common with the actual franchise. It was more a spinoff film than a continuation, right?

(edited)

I wouldn't compare the two, myself, considering that Psycho was made with only a book written beforehand, and Hitchcock did a masterful job making a great movie building off of that, even though he changed a lot of things from how they were in the book. Psycho also holds the honor, in my mind, of being the only good film out of the group of movies. I felt like they kept trying to change too many aspects of the backstories in the sequels.

Bates Motel had the legendary Hitchcock story to live up to, and was going to be inevitably compared to it, no matter what. But Cuse and Ehrin did great with the series and were able to water down extreme criticism. Bates Motel was a great re-telling when you remember that the series is not supposed to be a prequel to Psycho or be linked to it, unlike the Psycho sequels.

I greatly enjoy both for what they are, honestly, and they deserve rewatching.

Edited by Virtual
  • Love 2