Type keyword(s) to search

Classic Google Maps

blueray
  • Start Topic

I'm so upset that they are getting rid of classical google maps and replacing it with shit! Anyone else annoyed by this change?

I'm going to miss the best way I wasted time, but once this goes through I will no longer be a fan.

Edited by blueray

Yeah I'm annoyed too! :(

Wing707, if you are using the current Google Maps you won't notice any changes. The older version is from years back and when they changed to the newer version you had the choice of staying on the old (which I took). 

They recently decided that the old version was going to be phased out and we all use the same :'( I really dislike how the current google maps works and will really miss the old version.

• Love 1
(edited)

The new one causes my computer's fan to go crazy. It doesn't have as smooth street view. It's harder to change the levels of the zooming in. And there is unwanted pop ups that cause it to be slow. It also tries to load 3D stuff which is annoying as well.

There is a "light" version. But is missing many features such as getting directions and you can't zoom to different levels at all.

I was one of the people who opt to continue to use the classic one because it simply was better! I'm still using a version of it that is hard to find. But they are getting rid of it. Basically they are replacing an amazing product with a shitty one, then forcing everyone to use it. I am probably going to look for other maps to use such as Bing or Mapquest.

Edited by blueray

I must have the older version.  I have zero problems, no pop ups, no 3D options etc.  So this is going to be taken away from me?  NOOOOO! 

The old version is still available via this link -- www.google.com/lochp -- at least, for now. (Found via this blog.)

My biggest complaint about the new version is (1) the lack of the 45-degree aerial imagery (and plain aerial views in general, but those are still available with the Google Earth Windows software), plus (2) rendering is slower when zooming; and (3) cannot go to Street View while the map is still loading/rendering.

I've started to use Bing Maps for some things, as it does still have 45-degree imagery.

• Love 2

As an app or through safari or something? I'm on ios8 on my ipad and have the google maps app and it works fine. It just makes me sad because it's the new version.

The old version is still available via this link -- www.google.com/lochp -- at least, for now. (Found via this blog.)

THANKS!

I wonder how long until they notice a bunch of bandwidth to the link and remove it.

As an app or through safari or something? I'm on ios8 on my ipad and have the google maps app and it works fine...

The app. It doesn't seem to have a permanent link to the route. And it doesn't seem possible to copy and paste the directions. (I don't have a smart phone yet.) Can you do these things with ios8? (Not that you would need to.)

...I wonder how long until they notice a bunch of bandwidth to the link and remove it.

I guess it would be asking too much to hope they would realize that if that many people are still using it, maybe it has some features they should add back into the new version.

So, you want to be to save the route as a favourite or something along those lines?

And to be able to copy and paste directions, say to an email or something?

I took a look on my ipad and it doesn't look like those are options for the app. One thing you can do is set work and home locations though, this is useful for me because I catch the bus so I can easily put in work to home and choose a time and it'll find buses for me.

it also has the option to have offline maps but doesn't seem like you can have a route saved on that for some reasons.

Looking at the app it has a lot of limitations :(

• Love 1

I just used the link and it's changed to new google maps :'(

Yes, they posted recently that it was going away. Very sad. Hopefully they will fix the "new" version now that everyone has to use it and so they will likely get complaints.