Type keyword(s) to search

Two: Portia Lin (Melissa O'Neil)

The group’s defacto leader, she is a master fighter and an unbelievably quick learner when it comes to weaponry. Determined, tough, and more than a little headstrong, she is not the type you want to mess with – or disappoint. She can be cool and inscrutable and yet, at the same time, can demonstrate surprising compassion – the mark of true leader.

Everything in the character description is a big example of telling, not showing.

Like I said in the episode thread, Melissa O'Neil is no Hannah John-Kamen.  Her line deliveries lack confidence, especially when she has to sell some pretty dire lines.  She doesn't really display the kind of command presence that would allow her to take charge (the only reason why she is the boss is that everybody else is too lazy to take over), especially over a bunch of older, equally tough men.  

And the show has been undermining her from the start, from costumes (waking her up in a skimpy tank top and then dressing her in a midriff exposing shirt, because clearly that's the kind of clothing you should wear for firefights or negotiations with amoral corporate slimeballs) to the camerawork (yes boys, she has a nice ass, but why is it relevant to making landfall on a possibly hostile planet?) to the writing (keeping her cooped up on the ship for so long and denying her a chance to do something establishingly badass, and making a large part of her screentime involve making doe eyes at the boring white pretty one of the bunch).

• Love 2

The thing with her is, the only reason she's the leader is because she claimed the title first. And while she said so herself, by now we should see why she is and stays the leader. She should have some other qualities except for speaking first. Maybe it will be revealed later on that she was the Captain all along. But right now, besides the fact that she says so, I see no reason why she should be. She does lack command presence. I see her as one of the kids and not the mom. She's not exactly a Captain Janeway-character.

So far, we have only Three repeatedly and actively questioning her role, which I enjoy.

That being said, I don't see any of the others being the leader, either. Maybe Six. Everybody else is too much of a loner - Three, Four. Or I just cannot take them seriously - One because he's such a goody two shoes and Five because she's too emo (not in a annoying way). And that is something I enjoy about the show. You can truly tell that they're all thrown together and more or less don't want to be there.

• Love 1

I actually like her and think she's one of the better characters. In my opinion she does show command presence - it's not just that the guys are too lazy. Three is constantly trying to undermine her yet fails because the others acknowledge she's doing a good job. So far her decisions have kept them alive - especially during the second episode where she showed some strategical thinking. I don't mind that she occasionally comes across as confused or insecure - that feels more natural than Dutch's 24/7 badassery. I'm also intrigued by her complete refusal to acknowledge her previous identity.

The only part that is now working is her 'relationship' with One - there's no chemistry despite the show trying its damn best to convince me that they're a thing from almost the very first minute of the pilot. It feels forced not just because One is an annoying dude but also because it's hard to imagine that people in their situation would even be remotely interested in romance.

• Love 6
(edited)

Here's a question: If Two has super-healing, why didn't her brain repair itself after the memory wipe?

I would like Two to be the worst of them all.  Right now she's all "complications" and hugging Five and lalala. It would be a great twist if it was revealed that, yes, she was the captain, and she was fearless, merciless, and otherwise hardcore.

Edited by DEM
  • Love 1

I'm not sure I believe this "command presence" stuff exists, much less is determinative. Historically, so-called great generals tend to be beloved by their men because they win battles. Most of Two's decisions have been sound. No one sane would listen to Three because he's so obvious about not caring about others. Four as a royal only cares about himself, too. He's just not as obvious as Three, but his self-isolation makes it pretty clear I think. One is suspect of being willing to sacrifice for some abstract good. Not listening to Three and Four because you're not sure they wouldn't give orders at your expense is perfectly sensible and has nothing to do with "command presence."  And not listening to One because you're afraid he might send you into a suicide run to save people, ditto. 

Five is just too young in universe, no matter that she seems to us like mid-twenties.

Two's only real competition is Six, but he's not competing. Why, we don't know. But that's what's on screen. 

So Two as de facto captain works. If "command presence" means some mystical ability to compel characters to act against their own interest, or frighten them into never disobeying, don't believe they should even attempt to write such a thing. Asking for it seems to me to be a mistake.

• Love 2
(edited)

Command presence is something that comes to Great Generals long before they become generals. As the soldiers surrounding any 2nd Lieutenant can tell you, it's a quality that is particularly critical for junior officers. Command presence involves a combination of competence, the ability to speak with a high degree of confidence and authority, and a willingness to be reasonable. Melissa O'Neill lacks it. All her lines are delivered tentatively, and Two's command presence is also undermined by her stringing along one of her subordinates.

Think about it this way: Malcolm Reynolds has oodles of command presence. When he speaks, you know people are going to do what he says.

Edited by Mars477
  • Love 2

I just finished watching season 1. I have to say that I am not that impressed with Two as a leader. She seems to lead with hair, pouty lips and sex appeal. I want to take Two more seriously but I just can't. There was an episode where the leader of the Combine played by Torri met with the Raza team along with another team.

Torri commanded the space. She is leader material. Melissa came across as young pouty girl. Melissa said at one of the Dark Matter panels that Two is a combination of many peoples input (herself, writer, director, wardrobe person etc). I don't think it is working for her. Four and Six have had limited writing/scenes compared to Two but they come across as much stronger individuals. You take the direction, writing and wardrobe and make the character strong.

When I think strong women in Scifi I think of Janeway, Weir, River Song, Zoe Washburne, etc not Two. Diane from V (1980's show) had sex appeal but was strong, forceful and commanding. She had her fun sexy times but business is business. Two is all you don't agree with me One I have to reconsider our sexy times. Diane would have dealt with him for ursupring her authority and still had her sexy times with him.

• Love 2
(edited)

I agree that Portia/2 doesn't command the space when she's in a scene with 3 and 4.  I think 4 is the decider in those situations.  She had a sexual relationship with 3 in the current time line and was working together with him in the memory time line.  I don't remember if they were also having sex back then, before the wipe, or if that even came up.  I think she commands best when the Android or 5 are in the room. 

I don't know why they had her have sex with One in S1, other than the fact that they're both good looking, and to set up for the second entertainment Android.

Edited by atomationage