Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E13: Full Steam Ahead

It also helps that Emily is great with color and blending which can elevate something that's mediocre into something very realistic and/or beautiful. I would rather see a good paint job than an innovative design with a muddy or fake looking paint job. I know this is a really DUH thing to say, but paint and color can really make or break a design and Emily has a great eye for both.

Yes, it wasn't that she plastiformed some bottles; it's that she created the iridescence and patina of real bottles that are old and grungy. I didn't really appreciate it until I saw the close-ups.

Logan's original concept was so...13 year old boy. I laughed.

Very happy with the top two.  I can't remember one look that Logan has done this season whereas I can remember several each of Emily's and Darla's.  One of the women better win.  I hope it isn't a repeat of "Street Art Showdown" where the white guy wins over two women.

I like Darla--very talented and consistent and Emily's ability to improvise is great.

Should be interesting.

Darla is talented and in another season might be a worthy winner.  But Emily is some kind of makeup Savant.  Honestly, the season won't make sense at all if Emily doesn't win.

Logan winning would just be totally annoying B.S. 

• Love 4

I'm okay with the final three. But my goodness, Emily tires me with her whining every. single. episode. I'm glad someone said something to her. Was it Julian ?

The show doesn't have to air it.  So for me the problem is that the show for some reason thinks they have to.  

Her case of nerves is natural, I think.  She's barely an adult.  That said, I don't think it's been every single episode.  It's just been in a few successive ones here near the end.

I dunno.  I've also seen complaints about how excited she gets about the challenges too (our lovely recapper for one, hated that). For me, I don't particularly mind that she gets upset OR excited, because she has the talent to back things up. Being emotional and talentless = loser in my book. Those are the people, the goddamn drama queens, who revel in the emotion more than in the creative process. And I want those idiots off my screen.  

Being emotional and talented though--and this manifesting in actually having both the guts and skill to pull it off as Emily does--means for me the opposite of being a loser.  The emotion is just inspiration and drive and honest expression. A drama queen just wants attention because they aren't doers.  Whereas Emily clearly IS a doer--ergo the "whining" isn't procrastination or making excuses, because we've seen her results.  So it's that simple for me. Honest emotion is fine.  But attention seeking emotion meant to draw attention away from your flaws?  That's shit.  Fuck those people.  Emily isn't one of them in my opinion.  She seems like a sweet, talented, sincere and hard working kid, who if this show makes any sense will not only win, but get a richly deserved huge career from it.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 11

The show doesn't have to air it. So for me the problem is that the show for some reason thinks they have to.

Her case of nerves is natural, I think. She's barely an adult. That said, I don't think it's been every single episode. It's just been in a few successive ones here near the end.

I dunno. I've also seen complaints about how excited she gets about the challenges too (our lovely recapper for one, hated that). For me, I don't particularly mind that she gets upset OR excited, because she has the talent to back things up. Being emotional and talentless = loser in my book. Those are the people, the goddamn drama queens, who revel in the emotion more than in the creative process. And I want those idiots off my screen.

Being emotional and talented though--and this manifesting in actually having both the guts and skill to pull it off as Emily does--means for me the opposite of being a loser. The emotion is just inspiration and drive and honest expression. A drama queen just wants attention because they aren't doers. Whereas Emily clearly IS a doer--ergo the "whining" isn't procrastination or making excuses, because we've seen her results. So it's that simple for me. Honest emotion is fine. But attention seeking emotion meant to draw attention away from your flaws? That's shit. Fuck those people. Emily isn't one of them in my opinion. She seems like a sweet, talented, sincere and hard working kid, who if this show makes any sense will not only win, but get a richly deserved huge career from it.

All good points. "Every single episode" was probably hyperbole on my part. One of the best things about this show is lack of drama and that's why I hate seeing her do this so often. And, as you said she always comes through, so what's the point? Is this just how she processes or is it for attention and reinforcemt? On the other hand, I love seeing her so excited about the challenges.

. And, as you said she always comes through, so what's the point? Is this just how she processes or is it for attention and reinforcemt? On the other hand, I love seeing her so excited about the challenges.

I think, in Emily's case anyway, is that they show up upset/whiny, to show how she processes it.  Like others have stated, she has had some mishaps, some crying jags (missing home), but she pulls it together, she refocuses and put together finished and sometimes great characters.  On other shows, they would show the drama llamas just for drama sake. 

I haven't watched as many seasons as a lot of you have, this is only my third, but I have really enjoyed the challenges this season.  I really enjoyed this challenge   I think the right person won and the right person went home.

Can't wait for the finale.

• Love 1

Just to add a little to the Emily-love: she's the only contestant we've seen in a while to test techniques/color palettes on a small swatch before committing to a big piece. That's just smart. (Of course, goodness knows what happens the rest of the time on the footage the editors choose not to show us, maybe all of them do test pieces and we don't get to see it--knowing who won in the end, they might just choose those clips to build up the argument in favor of the winner.)

I usually ff through the talking-head crap b/c it's always the same stuff over and over again, and I imagine the director really pushes the contestants to gush with enthusiasm or super-emote the frustration. Our favorite trope in my household is currently "it would really suck to go home after only one challenge/it would really suck to go home so close to the finish." Yeah, guys, it really sucks to be eliminated. I agree. It's a competition, and it's just a given no one wants to lose. Can we please just lose that line? There are so many other things that would be interesting to hear from the contestants--why they chose a particular model, is there a piece of the makeup that they learned something new on, that surprised them, that was fun to make?

• Love 5

Our favorite trope in my household is currently "it would really suck to go home after only one challenge/it would really suck to go home so close to the finish." Yeah, guys, it really sucks to be eliminated. I agree. It's a competition, and it's just a given no one wants to lose. Can we please just lose that line?

The difference is that going home at the beginning is embarrassing, while going home near the end is frustrating; two different kinds of suckitude that the contestants should be able to make clear, as other reality contestants have before. It would still be stating the obvious, but TH's like this are just intended as filler. A few seconds one way or the other and it might have been dropped or replaced with a filler of a different length.

Normally I haaaaate people who cry at the slightest set back, because usually it's just a ploy to get sympathy (Miranda, anyone?), but I don't hold it against Emily. She has her moments, then pulls herself together and gets shit done. More importantly, she doesn't let her meltdowns affect anyone else's work. No one has to stop what they're doing to help her or comfort her.

• Love 5

Normally I haaaaate people who cry at the slightest set back, because usually it's just a ploy to get sympathy (Miranda, anyone?), but I don't hold it against Emily. She has her moments, then pulls herself together and gets shit done. More importantly, she doesn't let her meltdowns affect anyone else's work. No one has to stop what they're doing to help her or comfort her.

Actually, didn't we even see that Emily went outside for that first freakout (that seems to have turned some people here against her)? To me, at least, the act of taking it away from her fellow competitors and going elsewhere to get her shit together is kind of the opposite of a sympathy ploy. Laura noticing and going to talk to her was nice (not that I think Laura did a spectacular job in that case--Laura is nice but not particularly maternal), but Emily didn't appear to be deliberately seeking that attention. 

• Love 3

Well, a few days ago I typed up this big long thing, that for some reason didn't post. So, let me sum up. While I will agree that steampunk is getting a little overdone since it has really hit mainstream, I find the concept and ideas fascinating, and I was really excited about this episode. I did not care for any of the looks. At all. I mean, props to Emily for coming up with some great ideas (the bottles). Logan's arm was cool, but I've gotta agree the boobs thing was like he read too many comics in the 90's, like XMen and Gen13, when all the stylized drawing came out. If he thinks he has explaining to do when his wife sees the naked bodypainting ep, wait'll she gets a load of his actions in this one. Wouldn't have cried if Darla had gone home, but Julian has been so close to bottom lately it was sort of a no brainer. On to next week. I'm Team Emily all the way, but Logan might sweep in at the end. Darla has the Dina thing going on, first win in very first challenge. So we'll see!

• Love 1