Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Part 6

John wants to keep Danny in the fold, but Danny learns an awful truth about the past. Meg takes on a new client. Kevin's personal life takes a turn.

Please note that you should NOT discuss episodes that are numerically after the one in the thread you are in. Thanks!

Are we supposed to be rooting for Belle to get with Foodie70?  I'm certainly not rooting for Kevin in this situation.  

It was fun watching the NAVY guy kick the shit out of Danny.  I imagine that's why Danny wouldn't leave him alone.  Nice self-destructive streak.  

They got me with hallucination/dream thingy.  I'm not proud to admit that I couldn't figure out how John was "seeing" Sarah until the sequence ended.  

• Love 3

I also don't understand the woman Danny is with. Why would he see Sarah as an adult?  Has she been following him around all his life (at least in his mind)?

I've also been wondering if Danny has been "seeing" Sarah since her death, like some kind of defense mechanism.  I do find it odd that he imagines her as a grown woman.  How would he know what she looks like as an adult?  

• Love 1

I think from a writing stand point the choice to show her as an adult might be so we the viewer don't see her as a "ghost".  Considering that Sarah is a figment of Danny's damaged psyche, I don't think the rules of convention necessarily apply.  "Mia Kirshner" is how Danny sees adult Sarah to look. 

I also think her being an adult is a way for Danny to be able to "relate" to her.  She seems to act like a little bit of a "check and balance/ conscience" for him.  I think it is easier for Danny to work that part of his brain out with an adult than if Sarah appeared as a child. 

• Love 3

This was a really ugly episode.

Completely agree, this was my least favorite episode to watch.  Very dark.  And disorienting given that the tone doesn't fit with other episodes.  However, it plays a big part in a 13 episode story, so my reaction changed as I watched further.  Having finished the series, I understand why it was included.  Keep watching!

I'm enjoying this but man, is it slow moving.  I wonder if the story began as a movie screenplay but someone decided to stretch it into a 13-ep season of a series.  The repetitive flashbacks, the long 'character development' scenes like Danny's drug forays...  

In some of the earlier episodes they talked about the heat so much I felt like it was a character in itself, like the rain in season one of The Killing.

All the long sleeve, chambray shirts look out of place to me, in that heat.  

Maybe that's it but the humidity is brutal, isn't it?  I think it'd be easier for Sally to wear sunscreen than suffer in long sleeves.  Robert was in the sun a lot and seemed to live in those shirts, even in the ocean.  I feel like it was more a styling choice than a sliver of reality.

I haven't lived in FL but in Hawaii, you dressed tropical-- very few sleeves at all, even on businessmen.  But I doubt they wanted this cast running around in Tommy Bahama prints. All the bland, wrinkled, slouchy, blue-collar (literally) outfits make the characters feel casual and hard working.  

The home decor isn't lavish, either, even the parents'.   It's nice but simple.  Though the aerial shot of their house makes it look huge.  John's house is a little more 'tropical kitschy' than I'd expect a local's to be.  

(edited)

I prefer long sleeves in Florida, even in the summer.  Protection from the sun, but the looser fit (assuming you are in a natural fabric) is more comfy to me than a t-shirt (the fabric is literally heavier and more noticeable once the humidity ratchets up).  Of course, it is a matter of personal preference.  Lots of folks running around in the t-shirt - short combination that is shown.  And I would rather wear long sleeves than put on sunscreen - just not a fan of the feeling.

This was a tough episode to watch cause you know it was not going to end well for Danny.  Well, the first few episodes made it clear that things won't end well for Danny.  I should know by now that just becuase they show a scene does not mean it really happens, but I was all verklempt at Danny pulling John's gun.

I'm loathing the parents more and more each episode.  Dad leaves it up to Danny's three siblings whether to name him in the will, Mom leaves it to John to convince Meg and Kevin to give Danny part of the pie.  I'm very curious to know where Mom was after Sarah's death and when they were being questioned about what happened to Danny.  Was she not there at the time of death or did she leave after?  Questions questions....

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 2

I'm loathing the parents more and more each episode.  Dad leaves it up to Danny's three siblings whether to name him in the will, Mom leaves it to John to convince Meg and Kevin to give Danny part of the pie.  I'm very curious to know where Mom was after Sarah's death and when they were being questioned about what happened to Danny.  Was she not there at the time of death or did she leave after?  Questions questions....

I know, I am too. Even though I do sympathize with the siblings and their conflicted feelings about Danny (since I've been there more times than I can count), the parents really are horrible. 

I thought the dad was a complete asshole for telling Danny to leave and never come back in the episode before he died. I don't think it was because he felt Danny was responsible for Sarah's death, it was because having Danny around would be a constant reminder of how he beat the shit out of him, and he couldn't deal with the guilt of what he'd done.

And as for the mom....I wanted to reach into the TV and slap her during this episode. She chose to turn the decisions about the will and estate over to her husband, and then was upset about how he handled it. And then got mad at Meg for doing her job, rather than acting unethically and trying to unduly coerce her client into doing something he didn't want to do. And then orders her to talk the rest of the siblings into putting Danny back into the will, instead of just making the decision herself. God, she's awful.

• Love 4

Could not agree more--for me, it was/is easier to dislike the Sam Shepard character. Maybe it's his acting expertise, but from the get-go, I kept picking up a sense of suppressed anger, and of not really being there, or really with people. After about three episodes, Sissy Spacek's character started to really annoy me--the passivity, the smile with who knows what behind it...

I'm just starting my second go at the series now--I binged it too fast the first time through. But as I binge-watched it, I realized I was really mainly following Danny, and really fascinated by what Ben Mendelsohn was doing with the character. He's a nice discovery, for me.

• Love 2

I can feel the heat and humidity through my screen. Perhaps that's in part because its the middle of the night but still over 80 degrees and humid as hell in NYC.

I think Danny's frankness with Chloe Sevigny was actually kind in a way. I would've appreciated that kind of candid honesty from exes and past lovers over the typical stringing along or petering out.

• Love 1