Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: An Imaginary Torch Walks Into a Bar

Justin's world is rocked when Nicki returns to Detroit and announces that she's engaged. To prove that he is cool with her moving on, Justin offers up the bar for her engagement party and Danny helps him make an important realization. Meanwhile, Burski continues his misguided pursuit of Leslie, but Candace helps the gang see his romantic side.
(edited)

I've never seen this show and I watched it because I wanted to watch a comedy and not a crime show, which is all the other channels had. This show sucks. Punch lines that revolve around misogyny and jerky male characters treating women like objects is not my idea of a good time.

"Burski" was a disgusting asshole to Leslie, and the fact that he filled out a form for the doctor and didn't have anything to add to "significant other" and felt sad doesn't somehow make him not gross. Leslie having everyone touch her ass to show Burski what he is missing was a rather bizarre way for her to show she didn't appreciate the way he objectified her. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this show is written by all men. I will never make the mistake of watching again.

Edited by Falafel

WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much Chris D'Elia doing bits -- the plane crash bit and the torch bit and whatever the hell that was in Justin's office.

Ron Funches only had a couple of lines, but it was still more enjoyable than anything that came out of D'Elia's piehole -- but, oh well, hugs !!

Believe it or not, according to IMDB, half of the credited writers appear to be women. 

Usually the rest of the cast keeps the show afloat and makes D'Elia tolerable but today it really did feel like too much.  And when you go heavy on Danny, it's not a good idea to also give Burski a full B or C story. 

But what I liked? I liked a lot.  I am developing a crush on Brent Morin.  I think he's a good actor.  I think he has good comedic timing.  I like how good he is at physical comedy and I even like him singing.  So the highlights were when he interacted with Shelly. and sat on his lap for hugs. 

I like this show. I discovered it on demand last summer and figured it was a summer burn-off, so I was surprised when it got renewed. I'm not a tremendous fan of Chris D'Elia, but I think he and Brent Morin have mad comic chemistry. They're a better "Odd Couple" than Matthew Perry and Thomas Lennon. 

Bridgit Mendler was a good addition to the cast, and she has been integrated really easily. I think I read somewhere that except for Bianca Kajlich (and Brigidt Mendler now), all the other cast members were stand-up comedians. I like how they laugh at each other's jokes, just like real people do in real life.  

I don't get why they had to make the ex-girlfriend/waitress kind of nasty at the end. You were cheating on your boyfriend, and he still (stupidly) offers his bar as your engagement party venue, and you're nasty about it. Maybe she was mad she got called on her shit?

• Love 1
(edited)

Bianca Kajlich is very similar to Kaley Cuoco with her laughing at the jokes "in world" which I actually love and first noticed on Rules of Engagement.  Some people may disagree, but I find that refreshing and keeps the world of the sitcom relatable and more real to me than the simple deadpan reactions or minimal nod and smile most sitcom actors do.  They even do it in the background when they aren't being featured in the shot which again I really enjoy.  Bianca had a great reaction to the improv'd scene between Chris and Brent in last weeks episode which cracked me up.

Chris D'Elia and Brent Morin do have crazy comedic chemistry and I recently heard an interview with Chris and he said all the comics (Chris, Brent, Ron and Rick) hang out at the comedy clubs so the show is basically an extension of that.  He said it wasn't even like working most of the time but like a cool hang with friends.

Edited by Unclejosh

I LOVE this show. It reminds me of The League meets Cheers, and it never fails to make me laugh. The ratings have been steady as far as target demo is concerned, so I'm really hoping for a season 3. The chemistry between the cast is fantastic! 

Yeah, this might not be the most high brow show in my TV list, but I like the cast, most of the characters, and they have good chemistry with each other.  It makes me laugh, usually without offending me, and sometimes that's all I want or need on my TV. 

I've never seen this show and I watched it because I wanted to watch a comedy and not a crime show, which is all the other channels had. This show sucks. Punch lines that revolve around misogyny and jerky male characters treating women like objects is not my idea of a good time.

"Burski" was a disgusting asshole to Leslie, and the fact that he filled out a form for the doctor and didn't have anything to add to "significant other" and felt sad doesn't somehow make him not gross. Leslie having everyone touch her ass to show Burski what he is missing was a rather bizarre way for her to show she didn't appreciate the way he objectified her. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this show is written by all men. I will never make the mistake of watching again.

It's actually MUCH better than last season. The writing has picked up a lot.

Last season was just raw sewage. This season I'm laughing at actual parts of the episodes, even if some clunkers (mostly coming out of the mouth of the disgusting Chris D'Elia) are stuck in there too.