Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Give 'Til It Hurts

Backstrom and the S.C.U. investigate a hit-and-run that leaves a wealthy woman dead. When the evidence points to vehicular homicide, the S.C.U. looks into controversy involving her charitable endeavors and finds that perhaps not everyone was pleased with her philanthropy. Meanwhile, Backstrom's unhealthy habits stand in the way of him pleasing both his doctor and his ex-fiancée.

• Love 1

It was a fun episode.

*Valentine hitting on Neidermeier will never stop being fun.

*"Do you give me permission to search this computer?" "No." ::dr. types a minute:: "Now you (Gravely) have administrative access."

*"Here's five bucks; walk to the police station. (to Almond) Come, Alfred!"

*Moto just being quietly cool. Even when he wants to kick down a door.

*Gravely's faces.  One of the best parts of this show. Love Gravely and Genevieve Angelson!

*Backstrom and Valentine's enterance, complete with Backstrom vs. the Appetizer. Maybe Valentine can give Gravely a run for reaction faces.

I hope Dr. Deb isn't really taken in by the 30 day chip. I think he got an inkling at the end, but it's just iffy enough.

The possum on the ex's bed looked similar to one that strolled past my front yard and blew off my dog losing her mind.

I enjoy the porch/fire escape location.

I also enjoyed seeing Keegan Connor Tracy! She is a lovely woman. Too bad the character had such an assy, dumb husband. *g*

This one was pretty cute!

I really like both Amy and Valentine, and Backstrom's relationships with them. The party was surprisingly fun. I usually find those kindso of setups boring, but I liked how everyone reacted to being there and really wanted to have fun. I loved when Valentine started spinning Niedermeyer like a top and then just said playfully that they weren't doing anything, just dancing. All the side characters are really fun, actually.

And I actually liked when Backstrom got toasted at the bar, and that his friends and co-workers took that seriously but didn't actually interfere. Idk, something about that tone was just right.

I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying this show now. I really wouldn't have thought it was possible, but I actually like Backstrom pretty well now!

Though how he treats Deb is just deplorable. I feel so bad for that doctor. He seems like a really good guy, and he gets played and belittled for it constantly.

• Love 3
Did Backstrom send Moto to kill the possum? Or is it still there?

I thought the possum was kind of cute.

Almond's beard disappears again (per the out of order episodes thread), but I thought I caught signs of something flickering between Paquet and Neidermeyer.  Also, Backstrom gets his pedometer this episode from Doctor Deb, but two episodes ago in the Chinatown episode, Backstrom was already talking about the pedometer and taking 10000 steps daily (and that it you only took tiny steps, they weren't counted).

Paquet looked gorgeous at that party, as did Backstrom's fiancee.  Gravely was looking pretty hot too.  I did like when Backstrom was dancing with Gravely and just spun her and shoved her off into the crowd.

Backstrom was on a roll at the mahjongg party:

Redhead: "No matter what Vanessa said to anybody, it was her decision to quit mahjongg."

Backstrom: "And why do you think she would go and do that, huh ?  Because she was loved too much."

Redhead: "You're a very rude man."

Almond: "Whoa, whoa, whoa -- he's not the one playing dominoes and getting drunk a day after your friend was murdered."

Redhead: "We have nothing more to say."

Backstrom: "Really, why is that ? Because the botox has frozen your face so much. Or are you really just a pack of cold soul-less frauds who have squeezed out every ounce of human decency in order to fit in those dresses. And who care more about society secrets than the death of your BFF."

Redhead: "Get out."

Backstrom: "Arrest them all. Give them nothing but fatty foods and tap water. They'll talk."

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

Backstrom was dancing with Gravely and just spun her and shoved her off into the crowd.

What I loved about that was that Almond just smoothly stepped in and caught Gravely. Then again, I've crushed on Dennis Haysbert for a while.

ITA that the mahjongg scene was great. You knew it was good because Almond didn't look nearly as pained as he sometimes does when out with Backstrom.

I also want Valentine's jacket. It was fun.

• Love 1

As soon as they all started gathering at the party and Turn Down For What started up...I just knew that we were in for a treat! And bonus Valentine! Meow!

Punch her in her Botox.

Potta porties.

Twinkie boy.

I don't like how we are supposed to find alcoholism funny. The whole 30 day chip thing... and then he gets wasted. I can't stand drunk people and I lost my mother to alcoholism. At least Backstrom isn't to the point where he appears to be drunk Only when he is *not* drinking alcohol...

and then he fucking scams Dr. DEB. GAH.

if this show becomss the drunken misadventures of douchebag Backstrom I'm probably out.

• Love 1

I don't like how we are supposed to find alcoholism funny. The whole 30 day chip thing... and then he gets wasted. I can't stand drunk people and I lost my mother to alcoholism. At least Backstrom isn't to the point where he appears to be drunk Only when he is *not* drinking alcohol...

and then he fucking scams Dr. DEB. GAH.

if this show becomss the drunken misadventures of douchebag Backstrom I'm probably out.

I actually got the sense that we WEREN'T supposed to think it was funny, we were supposed to think it was dangerous and sad, imo. Amy treated it that way, and then when Backstrom's coworkers and Valentine saw him drunk at the party, they seemed pretty unhappy and worried about it, too. That's what I liked about that scene, they didn't make it a big melodramatic ~stage piece~ but at the same time it wasn't a joke. When Backstrom scammed Deb with that 30-day chip (that had actually meant something to Amy, and she'd told him way, too), I think that we *weren't* supposed to be on Backstrom's side, we were supposed to be horrified. But YMMV. That's how I saw it anyway -- but time will tell!

• Love 4

I am liking this show more every week and am very worried that the network is burning it off already.

Hard to find and is often on Sat in the 7pm spot in my market.

A creative show with interesting characters.

Hope it lasts.

• Love 2