Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Welcome Mat

• Start Topic

Ok, I just got a call! 

According to the vet:
He was bright this morning and wagging his tail! They knocked him out and shaved him (from asshole to eyebrows, apparently). Then they assessed him from nose to tail, finding many more relatively minor wounds than previously seen but the only serious ones were the three we had already identified yesterday.

All the wounds were thoroughly cleaned and those that needed it were stitched up. Drains were placed where they felt it necessary. When she called, he was coming out of the anesthetic and all was looking well. The only danger at this point is infection, and he is on antibiotics to deal with that. Plus the drains are there to reduce  the infection risk as well.

I am not allowed to visit this afternoon, because they think he won't react well when I leave and he realizes he isn't going home with me. I am allowed to visit him tomorrow morning, but:

He's coming home tomorrow afternoon. I shudder to think of him covered in bandages and wearing a cone. From past experience, when Budweiser wears a cone, he becomes a one-man one-dog wave of destruction! And I've decided that since he can't come home until the afternoon, I won't disappoint him by going to visit in the morning, which wasn't an easy decision to make.

The vet has promised to call me if anything arises today, and to give me a status update tomorrow morning in any case. I will post any developments.

When he gets home I'll take some photos of the patient, but I don't just want to post them like that. Can you spoiler-quote photos? I'll find a nice photo of Bud and post it below and see. Ok, got one from his birthday last month and I'll test with that.

I've had offers from two of Bud's friends who are riflemen, and who want to go and clean up Dodge City. Let's hope it won't come to that. 

Photo spoiler test: 

Spoiler

bud.thumb.jpg.9bd7f575a6402add2cd07a31967b4282.jpg

Ok, if I decide to post photos of him tomorrow, when he gets home all wrapped up in bandages, I will spoiler-tag them.

• Love 5

So relieved that he’s on the road to recovery! I agree that you shouldn’t go in the morning but wait until you pick him up. I wonder if the vet can send him some pills to help Budster chillax if he gets too feisty with that cone on. When my late great Honey ripped her dew claw off and had a cone, they sent home just a few chillax pills to calm her for a couple of days so she’d get some rest. 

Please do post pics of him when he gets home. I hope you’ll rest better tonight since you know he’s going to be okay! 

• Love 4

He's got more drains than a Parisian sewer!

He is pretty bright and active, but he isn't a pretty sight.

First thing he did was examine his entire yard to make sure nobody had messed with it. Then he went inside and had a long drink of water. (I've now moved the bowl closer to his normal daytime spot.) Then he went out to the gate and gave somebody a thorough barking-to. Or maybe it was just a neighborhood-wide "I'm back!"

Now he's in repose, and (I hope) not pulling at any of the expensive needlework. I just laid down $856.15 precious dollarettes, plus what ever it will cost for them to repair the damage he will inevitably do when he gets a chance.

He goes back to have the drains removed Saturday.

I don't know how to explain to you how great it is to have him back in the fold, but if you are a dog-lover yourself, I guess I don't have to explain, do I? Or how much I'm on tender-hooks to be sure he doesn't do something silly like pull out a drain.

Anyway, the main thing is: HE'S HOME!  And looking somewhat the worse for wear but at the same time just his same old devilish self, with one eye always on the lookout for some sweet mischief he can enjoy!

So, I say thanks to all who, with kind well-wishes and calming words have helped me weather this particular little storm. Now, as promised, some ugly photos of him inspecting his yard immediately after getting home:

Spoiler

20210907_171811.thumb.jpg.8f57dbd9273f9edbfe8b513be2fa3360.jpg

And

Spoiler

20210907_171848.thumb.jpg.8ab7b97a704d47bca4604d382b4fa68b.jpg

And also

Spoiler

20210907_171854.thumb.jpg.dff8fb5f91d0a2ea7cb1ce3de0e24222.jpg

• Love 6

So happy that the Budster is on the mend and home with you. From the pictures it looks like he's not having to wear a cone? 

The wild dogs that attacked him are they native to Barbados or just stray dogs that have no homes and live in the wild foraging for food?     

• Love 2

@dbklmt, I know from past experience that he can destroy the largest, strongest cone in the world in a matter of hours. And meanwhile destroy half the house with the cone as his weapon of choice. So when the vet said "Let's try him without it..." I agreed. I hope I wasn't making a mistake.

The dogs are probably strays that have bonded into a pack, and are now going feral. You do see that from time to time, but not all that regularly.

• Love 2

He's on two different antibiotics, anti-inflammatory painkillers. 

He's just had his meds for the evening, and then he ate his dinner (mackie pie with chicken tenders) and took himself off to bed. I joined him to give him moral support. He is standing in the bed because he can't find a way to get comfy. He has injuries on all sides. His bottom looks like he sat on a grenade. He has already drained icky fluid on the bed (new sheets on the horizon). I have him an empty bottle and he gladly took it, but after chewing it for only a few seconds, he left it with the cap still firmly in place! He's just lain down, so thank goodness for that.

I hope I'm doing the right thing here, and not exposing him to risk. I can't sit and watch him every second of the day, even if I had the time. I have to go and see Dr. C on Thursday and I dunno which frightens me more: the prospect of taking him with me in the car, or of leaving him home alone.  It might have been better to insist he stay at the vet a few more days, maybe until Saturday (when the drains come out). I just gave him a little piece of ice which he loves, and he crunched it up with relish. Then he started worrying one of the drains and I had to prevent him from doing that. Can I keep watch literally every second for the next 10 days?

Speaking of doctors, went to Dr. K. this morning, for a weigh-in and a blood test.  Come off the scale 1 lb. up. Later I realised I weighed with my pants on! Last to time I weighed my pants they were 8-9 lbs, with all the ironmongery I usually keep on my pockets, which is why I generally take them off to weigh. So no idea what my de-bagged weight is.

• Love 3

That blasted dog has just pulled out a stitch!

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.4b0f0d550f2e4a677b691a9a85957598.jpg

For all I know, that was the only thing keeping his bollocks from falling off!

Honestly, he licked his butt for literally half a second, and that flew off. How am I going to keep him whole and hale for the next two to three weeks? I'm an hour late taking my own meds because I'm afraid to leave him for the 30 seconds it would take. No dinner for Daddy for the same reason.

Honestly, would anybody like to buy him?

Cheap! (Various conditions apply.)

ETA: Rudy just pointed out that had the canes been up, he'd be dead. We would not have seen him running back for help, and I doubt he'd have made it back on his own.

Withdrawn from sale! I'm gonna keep him, the little monster!

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 1

That naughty boy! I’d call the vet in the morning with an SOS for suggestions. BTW, in case you aren’t aware, there are cones made out of fabric that has the hard plastic inside so it holds its shape. Also, doggie downers. I hate to sound like I always advocate for drugs, but something to slightly take the edge off for a day or so might be good. I’m sure your vet knows the little hooligan well enough to make a suggestion. Good luck! 

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

...something to slightly take the edge off for a day or so might be good.

I got a dozen chill-pills. He can have two or more up to four, depending on how chilled I want him, but only once a day. He's laying here quite peacefully now, so I don't know they will do much good at the moment. I'm saving them for if he starts to get really frisky.

I will certainly be seeking advice from the vet tomorrow first thing.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 3

I've had a terrible night. We've had a terrible night. Bud was worrying his sutures and drains every minute, so I couldn't take my eyes off him for a minute! He took himself off to bed early and I went with him. I was constantly telling him to "leave that alone" as he licked at his wounds. Later, I took him outside and gave him a chance to pee which he failed to do. Strange, because he has been drinking vast amounts of water since he got home.

At that time (10:30 to 11-ish) I decided to try the chill-pills they had given me. They said two to four so I gave him three. He had much trouble getting into the bed, then. His front end was fine but he couldn't get the back end in. I tried to give him a lift but every touch caused him to yelp in pain. Finally, I moved the mattress to one side and he was able to get up onto the platform, and thence to the mattress itself. He zonked out then, but occasionally during the night tried to change position but had a hard time of it because his back legs seemed to be too weak.

I set my alarm to ring every five minutes so I could watch over him, so I got virtually no sleep at all, maybe two minutes here and there. Given how poorly I slept the previous two nights I now find myself incredibly tired.

I'm up now, but he is still fast asleep. Unusual for a puppy who is usually a crack-o-dawn type of guy. The alarm has been reset to every 15 minutes so I can pop back into the bedroom and check on him. He is still out, and gently stroking his head and face produces only a little flutter of the eyelids. It's now just gone 8:00 and he should really be getting his meds, but I don't want to rough him up to get him awake. 

His rear end is looking ugly. Here is a nasty photo, so view only if your constitution is strong:

Spoiler

1511003911_WhatsAppImage2021-09-08at07_15_01.thumb.jpeg.a73bebfd232cf3f1c7c3008dc98de758.jpeg

Some of those wounds, although not large, look like they should be stitched up. But I am not a vet so I don't know. His back legs look swollen and his testicles are twice their normal size.

I just heard a noise and went to peep. He's awake now, with his eyes open, and has moved his front end on the bed.

The vet opens in 45 minutes and I'm taking him back for them to have a look at him. I thought they should - and I should insist they do - take him back, and look after him for at least a couple of days, until he's in better shape than he is, but Heidi reminds me that they will put him in a kennel, and if he gets checked four times a day it will be a lot, whereas at home, I am here to look after him minute by minute. I dunno WTF I should do, but he's going back in 45 minutes for them to have a look at him.

Heidi says I should give him his pain-killers before taking him to be seen. I don't know if he can walk or if I have to painfully carry him into the car.

I have an appointment with Dr. Collins tomorrow, but I'm calling and postponing that for at least a week. I can't leave him alone for the time it would take me to go down there and keep that appointment.

1694533611_WhatsAppImage2021-09-08at08_25_51.thumb.jpeg.1bc321513f41843949563155b3460530.jpeg

Awake, but not really very active. The vet opens in 30 minutes and I'd better give him his pain-killers  and one of the antibiotics first. I hate the idea of having to thrust two large tablets down his throat right now, and then lifting/dragging him into the car, but I don't think I have a choice.... The 15-minute alarm just rang, so I went to see him and gave him the tablets at the same time. Not easy, and he cooperated even less than usual, but it's done. He still doesn't look mobile, so goodness knows how I'm getting him into the car.

Yesterday, when he came home, I thought the ordeal was coming to an end, but it looks like it's just starting. And a hard a time as I'm having dealing with it, just picture what he's dealing with!

Edited by Netfoot

I took him down this morning and they agreed he should stay with them for a few days. I couldn't get him to get out of bed or walk, do so I had to carry his 40 lb. ass all the way and put him in the car. As soon as he got to the vet a pretty young volunteer came out to him, and he happily walked around the garden with her for ten minutes!

He won't pee. They think it's because he is too weak to raise a leg, or in too much pain to do so. 

I'm relieved he doesn't have to rely on me for care for him, and encouraged to see that he is brighter than he pretends to be. I was thrilled to think he was coming home Tuesday but when I saw him I was horrified at his condition. I tried my best, but I just couldn't handle him in his present condition. I believe his best chance is with them until he shows some improvement. So now he is on their care, and in the lap of the gods.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 5

After leaving Bud at the vet, I came home, and tried to get some sleep. I was able to get about an hour and a half, before my eyes opened up again. I lay in bed for another half an hour then decided to go visit the club. Strange to go without him, but I needed some fresh air and the company of friends.

On the way, not having eaten for over 24 hours, I stopped at Cheffette (local fast food chain) to buy myself a chicken sandwich. But when I got there I saw that chicken tenders were on the menu for a limited time only. So of course, I switched my order from the sandwich that I was originally planning to buy, and bought tenders instead, because.....

I'm back home now, and I I think I did the right thing by going to the club this afternoon. It was relaxing and my friends were keen to hear news about the little man, but were very positive and didn't mope about it. I was able to just take it easy and listen to the guys giving each other fatigue, and join in from time to time. I did a lot of yawning and I'm yawning now, so I will probably hit the hay pretty soon. I'm on for Dr. C. tomorrow, and I was told that the Budster might be able to receive visitors tomorrow too. I will phone and check, and I'll ask if I'm allowed to bring two chicken tenders with me or not.

Dr. C. probably won't be happy tomorrow, because the last few days have left me feeling distinctly under the weather. I doubt her prodding and poking will return the results she wants.

• Love 4

Ok, the visit with Dr. C. went better than expected -- she even cut my Lasix dose in half, which is good.

The visit to the vet was fine, apart from an extra long line to get in, thanks to the virus of completely unknown origin. They brought him out to me and there was a collective inhalation of breath from all the other doggie daddies and mummies waiting there.

2094492097_WhatsAppImage2021-09-09at10_05_21.thumb.jpeg.b23352acdfd9ea9f75a7bc19ba1990e1.jpeg

If you only looked at the front end and judged solely by his attitude and behaviour, you would think there wasn't a thing wrong with him. It's when you get to see the remainder of his corporeal form that you become aghast at his condition.

1690193261_WhatsAppImage2021-09-09at10_01_22.thumb.jpeg.eab301df9a38a72904a11953289ce80d.jpeg

But I have to say even the bad bits look so much better than yesterday, and he is walking about much more easily. maybe that is just good drugz, I don't know. One good thing was that he had a pee. Doc said yesterday that his bladder was full, but he wouldn't pee because we think he didn't want to (or couldn't) raise a leg. his, uh, "cobblers" are less swollen than yesterday too.

As usual, he is totally uncoopertive when it comes to getting a picture, and this crappy phone in bright light washes out the screen completely, so you can't even see what you are shooting. But take it from me, he is a whole order of magnitude better than 24 hours ago. I an starting to feel less guilty about taking him back for them to look after. 

Of course, he was thrilled to see his daddy... until the Chefette chicken tenders ran out. Then he was far more interested in going to play with every other doggie he could see. "Dumb-ass! Don'tcha know that's what got you into this mess in the first place?"

Have to start putting my life back in order. Missed a blood-sugat test and didn't notice for two days, and then my watch/Mi Fit went dead and I realize I haven't charged it up in yonks... Meanwhile I am going to go try and fix a toilet that a small band of self-described engineers have been arguing over for the last month.

If they let me go visit again tomorrow, I'll try for better photos.

• Love 5

Please don’t feel guilty about taking him back. At home, he would continue with his bossy ways and possibly could have done harm to the stitches, drains, etc. Now he will heal much faster and will get spoiled even more “rottener” when he goes home. Any word on when the drains will be removed? 

• Love 4

Photo of corpulent me, with Bud sitting in my lap.

1128124078_WhatsAppImage2021-09-09at21_26_01.thumb.jpeg.48c143263067303ee028c7fc0dd422ec.jpeg

Or more accurately, not sitting in my lap, as I was pointing out to the others as the photo was taken. His way is to jump up and then sit off the side of the chair in mid-air, meaning I have to support his heavy butt for as long as he chooses to sit there!

As a friend said, "It looks like you're scolding him and he's ignoring you." Well, yes. He always ignores me when I scold him.

Shortly after this picture was taken, he went for a little stroll, and came back chewed to hell! How I wish I had supported his heavy butt for the remainder of the afternoon! But Bud likes to wander around and explore, chase hares, sniff out butterflies, etc.

Will call tomorrow morning and see if it's OK to go see him again.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Any word on when the drains will be removed? 

When I went to bring him home on Tuesday afternoon, they told me to bring him back in five days to get the drains removed. I counted in my head and said "Sunday?" Because they only open for a few hours on a Sunday. The response was "Saturday!"

So assuming nothing has happened to make them reassess and change that, it is still Saturday. That means only one more night (after tonight) before they're removed. I am really hoping the drains are out before they tell me I have to take him home again. Not because I don't want him back, but because those drains are the mark that defines the line between what state I'm comfortable looking after him in, and what I'm not.

So if they will keep him one more night (after tonight) and if they remove the drains Saturday as originally planned, he might come home Sunday morning. But I hope they're assessing him and reassessing him all the time and will decide if they come out based on his condition at the time.

This morning his rear legs and his testicles were still a little swollen and what ever may be the reason, I expect them to be treating him in order to get that under control. Nothing I would be able to do if he had stayed at home with me. 

I'm a little concerned about a couple small but ugly wounds that I think could use a stitch or two. And the drains are 10 times bigger than the ones I has a couple years ago when I had surgery. When those drains come out, they will leave quite large openings in the skin. So I hope they will go back over him and add a couple stitches to all the drain-holes and other small wounds. Or a squeeze of pharmaceutical grade super glue. Or at least a very aggressive sticking-plaster! Unfortunately, these days medicos do weird shit. And who am I to tell them they should do different?

• Love 3

I went to see him just now, and he is as lively and bright as he ever was! We went for a little walk in the garden and he did a good pee, and dragged me under a low tree-branch just because!

One of the vets spoke to me and said that several areas of his behind are darkening which means they are dying. Those areas will probably slough off, or have to be removed surgically. It will be months before he can recover from that. I asked directly if he was going to survive this, and the vet said that she couldn't say that he wouldn't. It was as non-committal an answer as possible.

They are going to try to get him a little better, and pull the drains (not sure when), then send him home in a lampshade. I will have to take him back every three days or so for bandage changes.

I told him to be strong, and to fight to get better and not to give up. He gave me a big, wet kiss. Then I let them take him away again.

I sat in the car park and started to cry and I am back home now and I am still crying. 

1241969754_WhatsAppImage2021-09-10at11_01_22.thumb.jpeg.f975c26c543cc69b26b73bd384d50d3c.jpeg

Crappy phone takes blurry photo of my boy. I wouldn't upload such a bad photo normally, but.....

• Love 1

Went to see him again this morning, and he was in fine form! It also looked like a couple of the drains were missing.

I took him for a long walk -- or actually he took me for a long walk,  dragging me right around the vet's large garden then way up the road. By the time we got back, he'd managed to lose another drain. On the way back, he saw the van, went and stood next to it, waiting to be taken home. It was funny and sad at the same time.

We sat in the garden and chatted for 15 minutes and I tried my damnedest to make him look at the camera for a photo, but Budweiser just doesn't do photographs. Of the dozen I snapped off, this is the best.

48392519_WhatsAppImage2021-09-11at10_23_37.thumb.jpeg.73f27e1637457aa945d04f2447dc160b.jpeg

After he gave me that short break to rest, he took me for another long walk! (And he did a little pee and a huge poo, so that's all working.) I was thoroughly exhausted by the we got back, so we sat in the garden for a while more and chatted, then I went back to the clinic and told them to come and get him.

He is so normal and bright and happy with life that I would take him home in an instant... were it not for the gigantic, horrific wound in his groin. It's so awful it terrifies me just to look at it, and I won't take a picture because nobody wants to see that who doesn't have to. But the staff don't seem concerned. They say the dead flesh will come off, then it will regrow. They do caution it will take six to eight weeks.

I am encouraged by the fact that they aren't concerned. And it doesn't feel like they just don't care, but more that they are confident that eventually he will be all good again. The risk of infection remains, of course, so we are not sparing the antibiotics. And there is a small possibility that some of the lesser wounds will  also go bad, but if they do they will just have to regrow as well.

So he is just fine mentally and will eventually be just fine physically too. And he'd better be! Because life around here without him is unbearable! There's nobody to curl up against my back at night! Book-reading has become uneventful! Nobody insists on observing every sandwich I make and 'testing' the ingredients! And going anywhere in the car is a lonely endeavour these days....

• Love 5

Felt much better this afternoon after visiting Bud than yesterday,  so I went on up to get some fresh air and human contact.

On the way I realized I was really hungry... but didn't want to eat much. (Ever felt that way?) So I thought I'd buy a beef roti and a small chips and a bottle of water at Chefette. When I got there, I changed to buy the roti and a small chicken tenders. The tenders come with chips, a small bread roll and a drink! So I got my roti, my chips, a bottle of water and a small roll -- and four tenders! They are in the fridge now, and they are fairly large so I think one will make a good treat for a special someone. So treats for the next few days!

And I've been thinking: I wonder if a sea bath would be helpful for him? When I was covered in skin grafts I was instructed to go to the beach every morning. I was sure the salt would be incredibly painful in my wounds, but not at all! In Bud's case I don't know. I'm more worried he would get sand in his wounds... Little bugger hasn't got a grain of sense! You tell him a hundred times not to go rolling on the beach and he completely ignores you! I'll ask them in the morning. Maybe when he comes home we can go every third day and soak the bandages to soften them before we go for a bandage-change. Hell, it worked for me....

Tired, now. Very tired. Only one slim chapter of my strange book left. (We by Yevgeny Zamyatin.) Not even sure I can get through it before I doze off.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 4

Went to see him this morning and took a chicken tender which I'd cut up into bite-sized pieces. He was so glad to see me! While the tender lasted.....

His drains are out! It's wonderful to see him without those horrible tubes sticking out everywhere!

The bad wounds on his rear end look even worse because the dead tissue is beginning to slough off. Again, I spoke with the vet who assures me this is normal and expected, and that more can be expected to go. She cautiously suggests that his prospects are good, but that recovery will take weeks. (They can't make any definitive statement, in case it all goes to shit, they don't want a lawsuit to follow.)

I suggested sea-baths, and was told that they would be good for him, but that they are giving him water therapy and also giving him medicated baths which they prefer to sea water. She suggested that if all goes well, he might come home by the end of the week. I want that so very much, but not before he's 100% ready. I don't think I make a very able nursemaid.

Still camera shy -- this is the closest I can come to a decent headshot:

966597428_WhatsAppImage2021-09-12at10_30_06.thumb.jpeg.e94b17a57daefa27b75871a880d2c273.jpeg

(To make matters even more fun, when I took the phone out of my pocket it had butt-dialled itself to the point where the volume was maxxed, the playlist was rocking, the camera was taking repeated short videos of the inside of my pocket (all by itself), the FTP server (of all things) was on, and the screen brightness was set to nearly zero so I could hardly see to rectify! With one hand, since I had a frisky puppy in the other.)

He was his perfectly normal self, not really interested in Daddy very much; so much more interested in all the doggies coming in and out. He took me for a looong walk, more than ⅓ of a mile all told, and would have gone further but poor old daddy was puffed out by then. Especially since every bush, rock, tree and cactus had to be examined on the way out as well as on the way back. And it was beginning to rain. Next time we will try to make it further. 

The athletes foot situation worsens. Less than 35% vaccination coverage and active cases way up again, all of a sudden:

active-12-09-2021.thumb.jpg.2486d720296d45f631a6a48f02b7336a.jpg

The PM has been on the box with additional strictures. For example, Starting today Sunday curfew begins at 6:00 PM! This will force club members to leave for home while there is still good flying time before nightfall, and will seriously hinder the post-flying booze-up. But it's moot today because the rain isn't looking good.

Go here and press the play button (middle of the bottom). Our little rock is pretty much center-screen (to the right of the other rocks). But I think this is dynamic, so if you click the link tomorrow, you will see the situation then and not now. Anyway, right now, it looks like a wet one.

• Love 3

So, it's just gone 5:30 and I'm back home, well in time for the curfew. Why was I up at the club when inclement weather was predicted? Because I'm a fuule.

Got a message from Raf telling me how dry and beautiful it was. By the time I was halfway there a deluge was trying to wash me off the road! But it was pretty much dry by the time I got there. It didn't last long.

630319448_WhatsAppImage2021-09-12at15_46_12.thumb.jpeg.79fcb3e98a2afd03a636ca2540689944.jpeg

We had some fun in between the rain. There were six adults and two kids. Maria had brought lunch, but I didn't have any. Rudy played football with the young lad, and then the two of them had fun with a chuckie glider. The adults were much better able to fly it, because no matter how you try to tell them, the kids think that the harder you throw it the better. Even if it means throwing it directly at the ground.

16_22_57.thumb.jpg.054fe4888f6a14f493d92e3d8ffc0d6d.jpg

Otherwise, there wasn't much we could do, so we enjoyed each other's company, and...

1825074177_WhatsAppImage2021-09-12at15_46_44.thumb.jpeg.2c8047a8fc8ef886b7a90817e8b70421.jpeg

Coming home was especially exciting! The track was in a right state by then, and I was the only person without a 4WD. Maria left first to take the kids home, and then Austin went ahead in his Landy in case I needed a pull-out. I let him get way ahead because sometimes you need to put on a burst of speed to get past a slippery section, and I don't like to have to stop suddenly so as to avoid the man in front, because it can be tricky to get moving again. (The secret is to move forward at a speed such that if you come to a spot where you have no traction, your momentum keeps you going and gets you past that spot. Once you have that on board, just try not to spin your tires, and don't stop!)

Anyway, plenty of dancing from left to right, usually in the opposite direction to where you are steering, and she came out sweet as a nut. Carrying about 200 lbs. of mud stuck in the wheel-wells and to the bottom, of course. So I was only too glad to see six-roads roundabout semi-flooded. I went right around twice! That cleared her up nicely, and after that I got home without issues.

But what would have happened if one of us had got stuck in the mud and were still there come curfew at 6:00PM? Would The Unit have come along and slung us all in jail?

Tomorrow, I have to collect $5K and go see how much of it the vet is going to take, for services rendered so far. Not all, I hope, because rent is due in 2½ weeks.

• Love 4

Visited Buddy this morning, first thing. Only it wasn't first thing, it was the 3rd or 4th thing on today's to-do list -- and yet I still got there right after they opened. I'm only now reporting because I've been run ragged all day until now. I think I've made nine stops before I was able to come eat something for a late (2:15) lunch.

Buddy is as bright and happy and gay as a songbird and strong as a bull. He ate his tender, morsel by morsel, and I was able to snap a somewhat awkward image of him as he nibbled a piece of the chicken.

1705980840_WhatsAppImage2021-09-13at10_06_13.thumb.jpeg.ac090c0c91d3ab966131c65db0ad56bd.jpeg

Then it was a long walk -- he dragging me along quite apace -- a distance of half a mile. He would have gone further but I didn't want tom to over-tire either of us, so I turned him back. I had to stop for a few minutes and sit on a bench (right after the steep, up-hill section) but he wasn't keen to waste time, so we moved on, with me puffing and panting!

Sat outside the vet and cuddled and whispered sweet nothings for another quarter of an hour, during which time one of the vets came out and said how his wounds were looking good and he was progressing fine and how his full recovery was totally to be expected. Which is good to hear because those wounds are so horrible I can barely look at them without becoming physically sick, not to mention badly depressed. But, IANAV so I can only take their word for this. And they all sing the same sound, and they all sound sincere, so what more can I do?

I queried the regrowth of tissue and pointed out that he wasn't a lizard regrowing a tail, but she laughed and said it was a good thing then, that he still had his tail and didn't need to regrow it!!

I went to pay up some of the bill so it doesn't get away from me. Funds are limited. Part of my morning was lawyers, trying to make some progress with a case that has been running for ten years and more now. So funds are short and it would help to pay a bit of Bud's bill when I can, rather than be faced with a huuuge bill at the end. But the receptionist told me that the current balance on the account was $zero. Which only means the doctors have not yet decided how much to charge. Yet.

Will visit again tomorrow, and report back first chance I get.

Oh, one of my stops today was Dr. Kristi, who has been requesting Buddy-Updates, and when I told her about the wounds, how horrible they looked, she did not seem overly concerned, so maybe my fears are groundless. Mind you, KINAV either, so.....

Raf just posted on our group looking for someone to join him at the club, but rather than drive out more gas, I bought a cylinder of gas for the stove instead. So I can stop eating fast food and sandwiches....

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 2

Was taken for another long walk today; more than half a mile this time. And that isn't taking into account that Bud zig-zags his way along! If Bud would stroll like a reasonable doggie, it would be fine. Instead he dragggs you along like a bull, with a taught lead and your arm being pulled out of it's socket! And after the uphill climb on the back-end of our walk, I had to spend five minutes sitting on a bench under a tree at the top of the hill. Much to his annoyance!

Before going out he ate his chicken tender with gusto. And I was able to get a photo, which the crap phone/camera didn't do a decent job on. But anyhow:

2099728944_WhatsAppImage2021-09-14at10_57_58.thumb.jpeg.6f62cff74aeab2949c482b09f8e8ad25.jpeg

They say they are thrilled at how his awful, horrible wounds are 'pinking up' and I think I am to be encouraged by this. But personally, when I look into a wound and I see daylight shining through from the other side, I get worried. Silly me.

Tried again to pay up some of the bill, but the only charge that has accumulated so far is $156 for the boarding. Which is damned good, because he's been in there six nights, now. (Not counting the two he was in before coming home for a night.) Which is pretty cool, because at $26 a night, I can afford to keep him in there for quite a while, if necessary. I was expecting the boarding to be much more. I hope I'm not being stupid and that that isn't the boarding for a single night. Because that's more like what I was expecting. Anyway I paid $200 and we'll see.

Of course the fees for the actual treatment are another issue. Still scared to think what that may come to. I'll have to start a GoFundMe!

In other news... well, there is no other news. I can't get anything done. Anything I try I mess up. I'm going to bed early just because I've had enough of the day, and as a result I wake up shockingly early, like 6:00AM!

Besides, it's been hot as hell. Too hot to do anything, with no breeze to cool you down. Last time it was this hot, my fan broke down and there was a run on fans at ye olde shoppe so I couldn't get a replacement.

Off to buy a few groceries...

• Love 3

His wounds do look a bit better but I sure would leave him at the vet’s for the rest of the week. I’d be happy to contribute to a GFM. Buddy is family, after all. When you popped up to the club after the incident, did you see any feral bullies? How are you going to handle his return to the club when he does do back? I cringe just thinking about it—he’s such a free spirit.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

How are you going to handle his return to the club when he does do back?

Believe me, I've been thinking about it.

We've been going there for at least a dozen years. Long before he was born and old Dotty was my companion. We've never had a problem like that before. Nor at the field we flew at for years before that. We do see the occasional doggie, like Foxy (who I still regret not being able to rescue), but never a vicious pack like that. After I left to bring Bud to the vet that evening, the pack (which had been driven off when we went to the rescue) was seen again. But not since that day -- and believe me, we've been on the lookout.

Two members want to hunt them down with guns, and the land-owner has given the OK for their eradication. However, the club doesn't actually want to pursue that line of action if it can be avoided. The general conclusion is that they were passing through and had moved on by the next day. We never called Animal Control because at the time we were too concerned with getting him seen to. By the next day they were gone, so there wasn't much point.

As for what we do about Budweiser himself, it's a ticklish question. We live on a house-lot with a wall around it. Bud doesn't spend much time on a chain; only if I have to go out and leave him, which is rare. But I've always felt sorry for doggies who live out their lives on a small lot, surrounded by a wall, never seeing anything of the outside world. So, one of the things I like about taking him up to the club is that I turn him loose in the middle of 170+ acres of open land, where he can be freeee! Our clubhouse is in the middle where he can find shade, friends, his water bowl, the occasional snack, and a lap to jump into (and dry off in, when it's wet and muddy!).

1800754773_WhatsAppImage2021-09-11at15_05_53.thumb.jpeg.993ccefa84fa737609c29b71685a777c.jpeg

(Saltfish cakes, cooked at the club by Rudy last Saturday. He uses a slightly different recipe each time -- this batch has a lot of fresh bonny-pepper and a touch of curry powder. Rudy always sets aside a small number especially for Buddy, and Bud very often comes along and relieves me of some of mine as well!)

I just won't be happy taking him to the club and putting him on a chain. That would defeat the whole purpose and he would be miserable, as would I. So, I think... and I have a lot more thinking to do before I act... that I will have to take him there and just turn him loose as usual. And (gritting my teeth) hope lightning doesn't strike twice in the same spot.

My heart will be in my mouth the entire time, for at least the first 100 visits, but I can't see an alternative that isn't miserable for him as well as me. In this I am counting on the fact that the pack has moved on, that we have not seen a pack like this before, and that Buddy is a clever little boy! He was struck by a car when he was a puppy, and has been very cautious of traffic and vehicles moving around ever since. He ran in front of Kevin's Cessna once, and got cut by the prop, and he's been 100% cautious with propellers ever since. And hopefully he will now be very cautious when he sees other dogs and avoid them.

By the way, I was just kidding about GoFundMe. We are not a supported country, I don't meet the "withdrawal requirements" for any of the countries that are supported, and GoFundMe themselves say "If you do not meet the requirements for any of our supported countries, do not create a fundraiser." Besides, Buddy is a naughty-but-sweet-enough-to-get-away-with-it puppy that most everybody likes, but he and I can't expect people to pay for his medical care. I will do my best for him, and if it gets beyond me I will call on family to help. And I know sometimes you guys feel like family, but foreign family get an exemption simply due to distance and the difficulties involved. The world has not shrunk entirely that much, not quite yet.

But I do thank you so much for offering to contribute. it's nice to come here and boast about, and show off pictures of my wonderful boy. I enjoy when others have positive things to say about the rascal. And now, when his condition continues to look so frighteningly grim (no matter what his doctors say), it has been good to have a place to vent. The encouraging replies only help bolster my spirits so I can go face him another morning. Because of course, silly as it is, I can't stop feeling guilty that I wasn't there to protect and defend him.

PS: Just got back from the supermarket/pharmacy. I was down to my last mask and they cost me $35 for five, so I was stretching them as far as they would go. But I went in and asked for masks and they asked which ones I wanted. "The cheapest masks in the world!" I said. So, I have these new masks, ten for a whopping $6.50! Hey, I'm not wearing them because of any infection risk. I'm wearing them to avoid arrest! And they look just as good as the other ones.....

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 3

He is very lively today, and strong as ever. I sat and waited for them to bring him out, and as soon as he appeared he jumped straight into my lap! Unfortunately, because he can't sit down very well, he jumped straight back down again. But it was great to see that he had the energy to jump easily up like that. One week ago wen when he came home for the night, I had to help him into bed!

7733284_WhatsAppImage2021-09-15at10_28_22.thumb.jpeg.26a47aa868264c1922d3feed2282e5fe.jpeg

(I cropped that image so you can't see the horror that is his left knee. Most of the smaller wounds that have been stitched up look like it's about time those stitches come out, but I will let them who know, do.)

He did not have much time for me today. Of course, the chicken tender received his full attention, but after that he really focused elsewhere. We went for a walk, and he dragged me hither and yon. My Warfarin is only just kicking in, so I was completely out of breath for almost the whole time!

After a pleasant together-time under a tree after our walk, it was time to take him in. I asked about payments, but was told again that there was nothing on the account to pay!

I've been avoiding doing so, but today I deliberately took pictures of the terrible wounds on his rear end. Don't ask to see -- believe me you don't want to. I certainly won't post them here, where they can visually ambush the casual reader!

Later, at PriceSmart I noticed they had Honey-Roasted Cashews, a particular favourite of Dr. Kristi. They don't get them in often, and they don't last long. So, I bought her a jar and on the way home I stopped off at her clinic and gave them to her. We chatted for about half an hour about this and that (there were no patients waiting) and she insisted in seeing the photos of Bud's wounds. She was very pleased with how they looked, saying that the bright red colour indicated good blood-flow which boded well for their healing. She assured me that barring any additional issues (like an unexpected infection) they would heal up just fine, and much faster than you'd think. They still look horrendously awful to me.

Today was the last chicken tender. Tomorrow, it is either Vienna sausages out of a little tin, or a pack of Shirley biscuits. Considering how to dispose of the tin afterwards, I think he will get the biscuits. Knowing him he will probably refuse to eat them because they aren't chicken!

Gotta run.....

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 5

No chicken tenders, so today a little boy had to make do with Shirley biscuits.

2050754553_WhatsAppImage2021-09-16at10_14_29.thumb.jpeg.019cb67315847c1cf6b8abb0681365c8.jpeg

There are 14 Shirleys in a pack, so he ate some and then we went out on our walk. He was very vigorous today, and I had to sit on the bench under the tree when we got to the end of the road. I gave him more Shirleys, but when I gave him #11, he surreptitiously dug a little hole and buried it. I know from past experience he will never refuse food, but if he doesn't actually want to eat it, he buries it in the garden. (He did this once with a piece of cheese in which I had concealed a tablet. Trickster...) So now, there is a Shirley biscuit buried beside our bench near the vet.  It won't be there long, because the ants and other buggies will find it in no time. Tomorrow, I will try him with Vienna sausages, which he loves. And next Shirley-day, he will only get half a pack.

Today, he was brought out by two of his pretty attendants, rather than the usual one. He's just had his medicated bath, and they even washed his collar! It was looking so shabby I was thinking of getting him another, but after a wash & brush-up, it looks good. It has his name and my phone number on it in large letters, so if he ever does a runner, people will be able to get the number and call me. The letters are big enough that they can be read from some distance away.

Once again, everyone says how fabulously he is doing and how good the wounds look. (They don't. They look like something out of an abattoir.) And he certainly has all the strength and spirit you could want. So, I am feeling cautiously optimistic. One of his girlfriends even said that after the wounds are healed and the fur grows back, you won't even be able to see any scars! 

Went to the mall to buy some new sheets, since the last batch he slept on had to be thrown out. Also bought two bowls for the kitchen. While there I got myself a decaf latte. An iced latte - it's another scorcher today. In the food-court every single chair and table has been removed. "No Indoor Dining." I had to balance  my breakable purchases in one hand while trying to get a paper straw (The invention of a devil. Or an asshole.) through the X in the top of the coffee cup without the straw completely collapsing. All while perched on the flight of stairs leading up to the cinema. Thank you, unknown country from whence came the virus of completely unknown origin.

On the way out I passed by one of the stalls and bought myself an early takeaway lunch. Breadfruit! With steamed veggies and baked chicken. Gotta run now. The breadfruit is calling my name!

PS: Saw him sit down today for the first time. (And the breadfruit was great!)

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 4

It will come as no surprised that I am extremely anxious about my boy, given the condition he is in. It was comforting to hear that the bright cherry-red nature of his wounds indicated good oxygenation, and so forth. But today the wounds were no longer cherry-red. And he didn't have the energy he usually does. And he seems hot to me.

I went as usual, and they brought him out. He leapt straight up onto the bench where I was sitting! He was a little damp; he'd just had his morning bath. I gave him sausages which were a hit!

1816722041_WhatsAppImage2021-09-17at09_47_46.thumb.jpeg.d27b359e1b3ffc8dfe76cc37b6e34dbe.jpeg

We went for our walk, but rather than drag me to hell and gone, he stopped at less than half the normal distance, and then turned back. As we went up the hill just before getting back to the vet, he paused under a shady tree and had to be persuaded to carry on, several minutes later. Now, it's another blistering hot day, and there is precious little breeze blowing. But it wasn't even 10 AM yet!

So, maybe the less energetic behaviour was due to the heat. I dunno -- I just reported my fears to that lot at the vet, and I will see how he looks tomorrow. The last thing that strong, energetic, lively  puppy needs now is some sort of relapse!

Bud is getting famous! I don't know if I like it. A friend reported that they were out, a couple of days ago, and overheard a conversation between a handful of complete strangers. One said, "I was at the vet yesterday, and I got to see Budweiser, when he came out!" "Budweiser? Is that the brown dog I've been hearing about?" another responded. "Oh, yes," said a third, "I've been hearing about him! How is he?" followed by a discussion on how awful his wounds looked, how strong and bright he behaved, what they had heard through the grapevine, etc, etc. One of the rumours is that he was at a Shooting Club when he was attacked. By tomorrow, he will have been shot rather than mauled. So, before I know it, he will be a Social Media Influenza, will hire a lawyer, and seek to become an emancipated minor! So he can go off and spend his internet-gotten loot on pork chops and doggie treats, beyond my control. Being guided by some shyster who will take him to the cleaners!

I'm an idiot. Don't usually eat breakfast, but decided I felt like it today. So, off I went to a place that sold a "full English." Got all the way there... to discover the place was locked up tighter than a drum. Another family business ha gone "through the eddoes," in local parlance. (I was actually present when that phrase - now widespread - was first used. Amusing story, but sort of long.)

So, I didn't get my breakfast, then went to see Bud, and after that was an auction sale (where Heidi bought an 4'x8' kitchen island for a thousand bucks). While at the auction I got "one and two" for lunch (one salt bread and two fish cakes). While eating that I was notified that some light bulbs I had ordered (12/24 volt, AC/DC, not available locally) were finally ready for collection after leaving Florida on the 2nd. But by the time I left the auction, I came directly home (driving right past the collection point) and failed to pick them up. It was blistering hot, and I blame the error on having a heat-addled brain, and desperately wanting to get home, drink something with ice in it, and crash out for an afternoon nap.

So now, tomorrow being Saturday, I have to forgo my nap and go back out into the blistering heat and pick that package up! (Don't cry for me, Agent Tina!)

So, I'm off! Will report on the famous doggie again tomorrow.

• Love 3

I called this afternoon and they said that they had taken his temperature, examined him, and that he was fine, and there is no sign of fever nor any indication of infection.

Temperature today reached 90°F at 10:00AM and stayed there until 2:00PM. When Bud and I went for our walk this morning it was 88°F, so maybe that accounts for his sluggish behaviour.

In other news: Today, our athletes foot numbers are higher (by about 15%) than the highest peak we've ever seen before. And the recent meteoric rise does not appear to be tapering off at all. We have 35.8% fully vaccinated, but when those with the first shot under their belt get the second, that number will be 45.7%.

Gasoline has fallen at the pump. From $3.99 to 3.98 per liter. That's dollarettes, but it's still U$7.53 a gallon. No, the forty cents I saved today when I filled up really don't make it any less painful.

Was so pleased yesterday when I found sheets (flat & fitted) for $90 with four pillowcases! I usually have to buy an extra set of two pillowcases. So I was chuffed with my purchase. Mentioned it to Heidi who called me a dope, and said she just bought a set of flat, fitted and 4 pillowcases and only paid $53! I am trying to console myself that those sheets can't have been as  pretty as the red & black plaid I got! (There is no way I'm putting plain white - or any other pale colour - sheets on the bed. Not with Mr. MudFoot living here with me!)

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 3

I had nightmares about Buddy last night, so I was anxious to go and see him this morning. He wasn't so bright and energetic yesterday, and he was even less so today.

I took half a pack of Shirley biscuits, but he only ate a few and half-heartedly at that. We took a walk, but he didn't want to go far, so we turned back after about 250 meters. Of course, Bud never walks in a straight line, preferring to zig-zag along, so the distance was probably double that before we turned back. And he decided that a head-high stand of elephant grass would be an excellent place to take a detour!

1466458091_WhatsAppImage2021-09-18at10_06_07.thumb.jpeg.ea08b85d3456afe368955b25dab6fa60.jpeg

Got him back, and he lay down at my feet. Not usual behaviour for him at all! What happened to HyperDog?

1850095064_WhatsAppImage2021-09-18at11_35_39.thumb.jpeg.fd8f09f8a9337b2c5bfb13cffc4a00d5.jpeg

So, I spoke to the folks there about his lack of energy, and refusing biscuits. They checked to find out he hadn't eaten his dinner the night before either. So they ran a battery of tests. 

Turns out his white blood cells are up, which indicates a low grade infection of some sort. At least I hope it's low-grade. They are changing his antibiotics, and gave him a big shot right away. The plan is to keep a close watch on him, and give him another test on Monday to confirm that he is improving again.

Meanwhile, his regular vet (who was away until today) says that the wounds look like they are now beginning the process of regrowing. They just look horrible to me.

So, I will be visiting him again tomorrow morning, and will report back how I find him. I will hold off on treats until he's more obviously himself, because it doesn't seem right to tempt him with sausages when he isn't feeling up to eating them!

TTYL!

I am glad that you are trusting your instincts and staying on top of the situation and visiting everyday. Just like with our human loved ones, we have to be health care advocates for our furry babies. Hopefully the new antibiotic will work its magic soon. Tell Buddy that his friends on the web are thinking happy thoughts for him.

• Love 4

My sweet boy Budweiser passed away this morning. I went and saw him and said goodbye.

This is the last photo ever taken of him. I have posted it before, but here it is again:

330010298_WhatsAppImage2021-09-18at11_35_39.thumb.jpeg.5b9fcbcd2a0bd4c4edb0e50ea6b637b1.jpeg

And here (posted before) is the last photo taken of him before he was attacked only a few minutes later:

1762417872_WhatsAppImage2021-09-09at21_26_01.thumb.jpeg.e3438a140f4581ccf039d00b69ab6168.jpeg

I regret that I appear in this last image.

An album, for those that are interested:

https://goo.gl/photos/i7LD6o9WsQUKRFC16

I will be going dark for a while.

Thank you all, for your words of condolence. I'm afraid I am not ready to say any more right now, but in a day or two I will post again.

He was a good little boy (despite being a wicked little rascal) and many people will miss him. 

• Love 4

Friends, thanks so much for your kindnesses.

I had to get out of the house today, so I went up to the club hours earlier than usual, and took the time to carefully cut the entire site, including the parking lot, as best I could. The place looked a treat and the weather was fantastic. I will show you this photo:

20210919_134015.thumb.jpg.d3c9fab6c530f91e2d18eb9cfaab55df.jpg

and recommend you view two videos. This one, is just a panoramic sweep. What it doesn't show is that the wind was completely from the opposite direction! This one shows planes taking off in the opposite direction from usual; the loud engine noise is the generator, running the cook-pot to make fish-cakes, and was not with us for long. It's days like today that remind me why he and I loved that place.

As you can see, a handful of friends came along later and expressed their sorrow, but didn't didn't dwell on it, which is the last thing I could have born.

I have a relative that has been pestering me all day to talk on the phone, to come over and hold my hand, and no matter how I deflected, I couldn't shake them. So they are supposed to call me later -- which is why I'm not answering my phone tonight. I have to get myself straight before I can talk details with anyone. The cell just rang, and now the land-line is ringing, and two WhatsApp messages. But I am not ready to talk. I've padlocked my gate and locked my front door which hasn't been closed before midnight in years.

Tomorrow, I will go and make arrangements for his cremation, and pay up his bill. I will sprinkle his ashes up at the field he loved, as I did with Dotty when his time came.

Now I have to go and deal with his food bowl and his water bowls (one from the club, one from home and the "No Spill" one from the car). There is also his bottle-collection under the bed, and a thousand little things like that which I should do. And in a little more than two weeks I have to explain to his ladies from the Book-Tent.

More news when I have some to recount.

He was eight years, one month and one week old, exactly.

Edited by Netfoot
Forgot to add link to second video. Corrected.
  • Love 4