Type keyword(s) to search

Maddie And Daphne: Singing Sisters With Issues

In honor of Maddie exposing her bio dad online this is a perfect time to start a thread just for the Stella sisters Lennon and Maisy.

My favorite line was Daphne's from last night's episode when she said "I'm not grounded, why do I have to leave?" Preach it sister.

• Love 1

I love these two actresses/characters. Both are incredibly talented and have great energy. 

But I have to call out that clapping thing last episode. It didn't look impressive or complicated, more like a game of Patty Cake. Not impressive at all, especially to 16 year old boy who disdained them so he could listen to some "sick beats". 

The real payoff I think will come if the show lasts a few more years, and we can see them as they get a little more grown up. 

• Love 1

Please writers, we beg you. No more bitchy, petulant teenage girls. It's a boring cliche. Send Maddie away to boarding school. Maybe she can room with Dana from Homeland.

Edited by Jgrh
  • Love 2

We're totally going to be subjected to some dumb "Maddie falls for a bad boy" plot at some point, aren't we? Maddie trying to dress more provocatively and dying her hair blonde seems like a precursor.

They actually took away the things about Maddie I did like- that she didn't look like every single pretty girl you seen on t.v. shows, with her cute glasses and the dark straight hair.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

I have come to enjoy 'Nashville' for its complex characteriation so I am really disappointed that writers have narrowed their portrayal of Maddie to the stereotype of 'temptuous headstrong teen'. She is becoming an unsympathic character and by episode  8 is downright unikeable.

Writers need to show some postive aspects to Maddie's character otherwise the points they want to make about the industry and its pitfalls (explored in Markus and Rayna's chats and shown in Juliet's backstory etc ) are diminshed. It is a complex issue and needs to be explored properly. It would also be good for writers to provide the actress playing Maddie with more emotional scope so that she can demonstrate her acting ability.

The writers created Juliet's complexity so, c'mon, do it for Maddie as well.

Edited by ChrisK
  • Love 1

I think the duality that Juliette achieved had a lot to do with HPs acting skill.  Not sure the girl who plays Maddie is in that league.  Of course, the writing they've done so far for her hasn't been stellar so hard to gauge what she is capable of.

I think Lennon could do it. She's usually very good in scenes with Chip and Connie, and we've seen some depth from her in the past: when she talks to Rayna about Deacon in season two, when they talk about his being an alcoholic last season, when she's upset about how Dracon and Rayna are both going on tour last year, that light scene in the kitchen when the girls ask Deacon to move in, etc. she can do it. The writers don't give her the material. They've turned Maddie into a shallow caricature of a teenage girl so both the character and the actress are coming off as flat; there's nothing real about Maddie.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

Maddie has turned into the cliche of being a teenage brat, but I think her parents turned her that way. Considering her background, I think it would be odder if she remained as nice as she used to be. Not saying I like watching this version of Maddie though.

I'm surprised the younger kid still exhibits nice characteristics since her mother conveniently lies so much when she needs to.  (This is no slam on Connie Britton though who I think makes her character less annoying than she probably would be if played by someone else). 

Although I look forward to each week's episode and don't like the fact that we have to wait until March 2016 for more episodes, the writers need the break so they can better think through the narrative issues for all character story lines before any more scripting and filming takes place. The writers also need to research their subject matter a lot more to avoid looping a story line or going for predicable over-the-top melodrama. e.g Deaon's insecurity and petulant outbreaks. Ditto with illogical plot events. e.g Markus' departure without penalty.

There is a wealth of authentic material to mine from real life for the Nashville writers. There are also significant gender and sexuality issues to explore.  The ramifications of Maddie’s first sexual experience have been overlooked, making the story line very unreaslitic. Any readers out there who have worked with teens will understand what I mean and allude to.

The Daphne and Maddie storyline has potential as all the seeds have been sown just as the seeds dealings with Juliette's promiscuity before Avery were sown. The confusion of sex with love needs to be explored. Yes I know Juliette had it off with Jeff after she committed to Avery.

Finally, I love the music and want to see substance added to the plotlines.

I was seriously disappointed with the direction writers have taken for Maddie, an increasingly unsympathetic character.  Her current story line may add conflict but it is melodramatic in nature and does not value add to your story line.

Writers, you have an opportunity with the Maddie character to explore some authentic issues relevant to teens and parents. Those issues will resonate with the audience unlike the direction you're currently following. 

I recommend you honestly delve into things hinted at in the writing but being skimmed over. What? you ask.

There seems to be an inference in the story that Maddie's angst about the breakup with Colt after she had sex with him underscores her songwriting and her need to be heard.  You've never really explored or shown how such an experience truly affects a girl. When writers introduced Maddie and Colt having sex into the story line, they perpetuated the myth that teenagers do it and can handle the aftermath. It was presented as a type of meal, a fast food experience, digested and with only mild reflux. Such myths add to teen confusion as well as contribute to compromising them.

Similarly, you have a great opportunity to explore  the significant issues around rebellious teens and waywardness. So far writers have skimmed over the issue with both Maddie and Colt. There are lots of parents out there - caring and supportive one - who'd love their perspectives explored. There are lots of social agencies out there who'd appreciate honest representation of  the issue rather than this  sugared coated, under cooked donut approach.

On a positive note, I think writers are showing reasonably well the way well-meaning third parties can exacerbate issues with teens and place them at risk. Cash's super-objective and agenda need to be better explored though. By that I mean the underlying motivation that explains her actions.  At the moment, the scenes with her and Maddie lack dimension as does the whole Maddie story.

The music and the artistry of musicians and song writers songs in Nashville are great. Please make the writing as good. Please put a brake on the soap opera melodrama that writers a sliding toward.

If you can't explore the significant issues potentially embedded within the Maddie story line, then ditch it. Your audience will applaud.

Edited by ChrisK
On 25/10/2014 at 11:28 AM, methodwriter85 said:

We're totally going to be subjected to some dumb "Maddie falls for a bad boy" plot at some point, aren't we? Maddie trying to dress more provocatively and dying her hair blonde seems like a precursor.

They actually took away the things about Maddie I did like- that she didn't look like every single pretty girl you seen on t.v. shows, with her cute glasses and the dark straight hair.

Yes, I feel the same. I also dislike the emancipation direction of the Maddie plot. Writers are missing the real issues confronting teens today that could be explored. 

I feel like we're on the edge of the major rebellion and breakdowns I can see Daphne having. God, I keep wishing she were a little older because I bet she's the more compelling actress than her sister. (Who the showrunners seem to be hitching their wagon on, and ignoring that it seems like almost everyone in the Nashville fanbase seems to hate her. Also, that she's not a very good actress.)

• Love 1
16 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I feel like we're on the edge of the major rebellion and breakdowns I can see Daphne having. God, I keep wishing she were a little older because I bet she's the more compelling actress than her sister. (Who the showrunners seem to be hitching their wagon on, and ignoring that it seems like almost everyone in the Nashville fanbase seems to hate her. Also, that she's not a very good actress.)

Well, Maisy is now the age that Lennon was when they started the show, and she still got storylines back then. So it's completely possible for her to be given more to do. They're just more obsessed with Lennon for some reason. 

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, Maisy is now the age that Lennon was when they started the show, and she still got storylines back then. So it's completely possible for her to be given more to do. They're just more obsessed with Lennon for some reason. 

Because she's old enough to dress up "sexy" and do "sexy" storylines. That's pretty much it. And she has the legacy of being Rayna and Deacon's only child.

• Love 2

Maisy has said that there will be storyline for her in the next half with she and Deacon coming closer to a real father/daughter relationship. I'm happy about that. I think Maisy does a good job and I love to hear her sing.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Clemgo3165 said:

Maisy has said that there will be storyline for her in the next half with she and Deacon coming closer to a real father/daughter relationship. I'm happy about that. I think Maisy does a good job and I love to hear her sing.

That makes me happy, particularly the part about her and Deacon getting closer.  I'm really hoping Teddy somehow gets lost between prison and Nashville and Deacon gets to keep both girls.

5 hours ago, piratewench said:

That makes me happy, particularly the part about her and Deacon getting closer.  I'm really hoping Teddy somehow gets lost between prison and Nashville and Deacon gets to keep both girls.

Me too. I hope that Daphne and Deacon do develop a close relationship. I don't have a problem, with Daphne also spending time with Teddy, just off screen, please.   

I like Eric Close, never a fan, of the Teddy character. 

• Love 1

I really think Maddie is getting more storylines because they can do more mature stories with her. I also think it's a logisitics thing. The older you get the less restrictive the child labor laws are. So perhaps its more a efficiency choice to keep Lennon in the forefront because she can film a more flexible & long schedule.

And while I enjoy Daphne and I do think she is a great little actress. There are only so many pre-teen stories you can do. I guess now we have grieving daughter parts. But if given the option I would have kept Rayna alive and kept any other tween ridiculous plot.

I don't love the emphasis on the girls storylines, I do find the plots a little tedious. But so far, I have enjoyed what the new showrunners have done with them. So I'll keep my fingers crossed.

• Love 2

I think Maisy is a terrific little actress.  This past week I have been catching up on the show.  Yesterday I watched the episode where she was fighting with Deacon and she turned around and shouted "SCREW YOU" at him.  I was all set to denounce her as a spoiled, entitled brat just like her sister when she sunk down behind the sofa in tears and I found myself sobbing right along with her.  Now, full disclosure...I lost my father back in December, but I am much older than Daphne, and it's been much months compared to the weeks it had been in the show's time since Rayna's death, but I felt every bit of the pain and anguish she felt in that moment.  Wow.  I also agree with those who think she might be a better singer than her sister.  I look forward to watching her career in the future.

As for Lennon, I dislike Maddie so much that I find it hard to judge her acting ability.  Would I like Maddie better if she were played by a more competent actress?  And every time I think she might have figured it out and maybe won't make it all about her, she proves me wrong.  I do enjoy her singing, though.

• Love 1