Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E29: Dark Purple

Susan Strong and her allies infiltrate the mysterious Super Porp factory.

ETA: That was weird, as per usual. After our heroes (along with BMO and Marceline) pass up an adventure to investigate the origins of an ancient soda, we get Susan Strong and her friends on a rescue mission to save a baby from Super Porp, the aforementioned soda company. It's a little off-putting to see Susan in action, since she comes across as a little "slow" at times, but she can kick ass as hard as Finn.

The big reveal is that Susan appears to be human under her hat, unlike the other underground villagers. But she has some kind of skull plate / cyborg deal - maybe resulting in both her immense strength and halting speech?

I like when Adventure Time explores the relics of the time before the Mushroom War. I wish so many episodes did not involve tearing them up. I guess the larger message is about the young not being shackled to the bad old ways, but it's sometimes laid on a little thick.

Edited by lathspel
  • Love 1

Phew! I was worried we'd learn that Super Porp was made of people!

The big reveal is that Susan appears to be human under her hat, unlike the other underground villagers. But she has some kind of skull plate / cyborg deal - maybe resulting in both her immense strength and halting speech?

I thought they already showed Susan Strong was not human.

I thought they did too, but I'd also thought on the previous occasion they showed it by removing her hat, and she had sort of...gills? on her head. So now they removed her hat and she had whatever cyborg looking thing instead. So this Susan Strong isn't the original Susan Strong? She's an android replacement? Or something. I'm making this up now. I don't remember the earlier episode vividly, but I do think that was an intentional "reveal" of what was on her head this time. We knew she wasn't human, but didn't know what she was and now she appears to be something else.

No as I recall, this is the first time we've seen Susan without her hat. The other Hyoomans were shown to have gills, but Susan only let Finn feel under her hat in "Beautopia" and we only saw his reaction.

Yeah this is right.

In the Beautopia episode she does imply that she can swim under water without needing to breathe air though, she only decides to take a boat after she realizes Finn can't breathe under water. But they never actually show her without her hat.

Maybe her cybernetics allow her to breathe underwater?

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1

I thought they did too, but I'd also thought on the previous occasion they showed it by removing her hat, and she had sort of...gills? on her head. So now they removed her hat and she had whatever cyborg looking thing instead. So this Susan Strong isn't the original Susan Strong? She's an android replacement? Or something. I'm making this up now. I don't remember the earlier episode vividly, but I do think that was an intentional "reveal" of what was on her head this time. We knew she wasn't human, but didn't know what she was and now she appears to be something else.

That is how I remember it, too.

That is how I remember it, too.

You guys were making me doubt myself so I rewatched the old Susan Strong episodes (there's only 2)

In Season 2's "Susan Strong"

- There is a reveal where all the other Hyooman's take off their hats (cause the Marshmallow Kids set them on fire) and Finn realizes they are all fish people. Susan doesn't remove her hat though (because she ducked under the fire) and Finn says "Susan? What are you?" before Susan runs away.

- Finn asks Jake if he thinks Susan was human or "just another wild animal" and Jake tells him that "We're all wild animals, brother."

In Season 3's "Beautopia"

- Jake is against helping Susan and says that she's a "fish person", but Finn says "We don't know that."

- Susan says they'll swim to Beautopia, and shoves Finn's head under the water. Finn understandably starts drowning and Susan is surprised to learn Finn doesn't have gills. She then says they'll take a boat. So that implies that she can swim underwater, but we still don't see anything under her hat.

- At the end Susan asks Finn to stay and he says "I'm not like you" but then she takes his hand and lets him feel under her hat. Finn is surprised by what he feels (or doesn't feel.)

So yeah, we've never seen Susan without her hat until this episode.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 2

I had forgotten that Susan thought Finn could breathe under water. Or, maybe she can hold her breath a long time? That doesn't require her to be a fish person ;) .

In this ep., Susan and her compatriots made me think of Josie and the Pussycats. Probably it was the animal themed hats.

Edited by lathspel

OK now I'm convinced. Susan is an android, who maybe doesn't know it? Or does but not in those terms, and her question about gills to Finn before was because he looked like the rest and they have gills. Color me intrigued.

I don't know if she's an android (or gynoid to use the proper term.) I'm leaning more towards some kind of cyborg.

I'm thinking maybe she was a normal human like Finn and she got some kind of cybernetic enhancements. That also might explain why she's so strong.

Edited by Maximum Taco