Type keyword(s) to search

The Music: So Fresh

If you can't tell, I'm a huge nerd when it comes to the music they show on television (or movies, or commercials, or...)

The music is obviously a huge part of the show.  The show is set in Orlando, 1995.  1994 is my favourite all time year for music!  So for me, it's a good era.

I make it a habit to keep track of the music anyway, so I thought I'd share what I have.  May not be totally 100% accurate, but I try my best.  A few of these, I had to look up.  

Feel free to add, correct, inquire :)

Pop/Adult Contempo

Ace of Base, The Sign

Bette Midle, Wind Beneath My Wings

Bonnie Raitt, Let's Give Them Something to Talk About

Rupert Holmes, Escape (If You Like Pina Coladas) - When the father "escapes" from the mother at his restaurant :)

Whitney Houston, I Will Always Love You

Hip Hop/Rap

Cypress Hill, Insane in the Brain

Hammer, U Can't Touch This (I didn't hear it play, but Evan did the Hammer-pants dance across Eddie's room :) )

Ice Cube, It Was a Good Day

MC Breed & DFC, Ain't No Future in Frontin' (I think this is when Eddie tries on all the Orlando Magic gear)

Big Poppa, Notorious B.I.G.

Ol' Dirty Bastard, Shimmy Shimmy Ya

Snoop Dogg, What's My Name?

Snoop Dogg, Gz and Hustlas

Too Short, So You Want to be a Gangster

Grunge

Live, Lightning Crashes (Eddie's Cousin - what did Eddie say when he heard this?  "That lady's voice is whack!" or something, LOL!)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

I'm loving the music - I'm not gonna lie :) And yes, that line about Live was hiliarious, though I still like quite a few of their songs. Thank you for compiling the list!

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 1

Though I was in high school during that time, I'm actually not 100% familiar with the music so far.  During that time, it was either (new) country (and probably the only Chinese person in Toronto to actually enjoy it, like I'm probably (one of) the only Chinese Canadians under 50 (and NOT a tai tai from Hong Kong or Singapore) who reads Town & Country) or artists like Sarah McLachlan (and slightly later, Jewel).  Country and Lilith are weird combinations, huh? 

R&B, Episode 5:

H-Town, Knocking the Boots.  This is the sexual song heard throughout the episode.

I'll have to watch it again to see if I catch anything else.

CrazyDog, no problem at all and you're so welcome!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

The theme song is by Danny Brown.

Danny Brown's 'Fresh Off The Boat': Best Rap TV Theme Since 1990?

The similarity to the "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" theme is surely intentional, from the way the bass on the beats mirror each other across decades, to the way the fun, graffiti'd pastiche of the "Fresh" intro mimics the Karl Kani world of the "Fresh Prince" credits. But it's definitely the best (the only?) primetime rap theme we've heard in 25 years. (Twenty-five years!) Also a milestone: perhaps the cleanest and most family-friendly rap song Danny Brown has ever released.

• Love 1
(edited)

Episode 107:

Ice Cube - Check Yo' Self:   Eddie's new favourite song.

Kool Moe Dee - Wild Wild West:  The fights on the bus. 

Notorious B.I.G. - One More Chance (remix):  About to see the billboard on the way to school.

^-------- (OMgmogmomgogmg this is LITERALLY my third favourite song of all time!  Straight outta 1995!)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

The music is so good. Poor DH has not heard half of this stuff and I am singing along to the show. How can one go through their teenage years without Ice Cube and ODB is beyond me!

The music on this one was great. Beastie Boys were an integral part of every suburban girls mid 90's experience!

• Love 1

The music is so good. Poor DH has not heard half of this stuff and I am singing along to the show. How can one go through their teenage years without Ice Cube and ODB is beyond me!

The music on this one was great. Beastie Boys were an integral part of every suburban girls mid 90's experience!

ITA on all counts! One of the things I love about the show is all the musical flashbacks. Funny how you can hear a song you haven't thought about in ages and realize that you still know all the words. The music really helps with the 1995 setting (along with some of the other details on the show). Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

Episode 109, "License to Sell".

The music this episode so far, so very, very good.

Passin' Me By - Pharcyde:  When Eddie's crush walks by. 

I'm the Only One - Melissa Etheridge:  Jessica eats a chipwich in the car.

(edited)

Emery singing "Hero" by Mariah Carey in the bathroom after his shower!  LOL!  That could not be more perfect.  Probably the first song I ever fell in love with as a kid!

A Whole New World from the movie "Aladdin" in the closing tag, by Brad Kane and Lea Salonga and/or Peabo Bryson and Regina Belle.

There was a song in the lesbian bar, but I have no clue what it is.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

So sad about this being the season finale.

Season Finale - So Chineez

I loved the mention of Bjork, who is one of the greatest 1990s artists for me.  The album Post came out in 1995.

Clean in My Lac by Smoke - opening song

Juicy by Notorious B.I.G.

Opportunities - Let's Make Lots of Money by the Pet Shop Boys - when Louis imagines business at the Country Club

Kokomo by The Beach Boys -- the school kids doing their Caribbean islands project

The music is obviously a huge part of the show.  The show is set in Orlando, 1995.  1994 is my favourite all time year for music!  So for me, it's a good era.

We are kindred spirits, Ms Blue Jay. 1994 was my favorite year for music ever. I was just transitioning from 8th grade to freshman in high school that year. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm going to need help with the music for Eddie's prom episode.

"Boombastic" by Shaggy has got to be one of my top 5 choices the show has made so far.  That scene was incredible.  I loved that song so much.

The other one I know is "Alive and Kicking" by Simple Minds.

However, there's the slow dance song and the Mosh Pit song at the prom that I don't know.

Tunefind should upload stuff in a few hours.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Hey!

Latest episode, where Louis goes on the morning show and Eddie and his friends have girlfriends.

1)  That's the Way Love Goes by Janet Jackson!

2)  The Choice is Yours by Black Sheep

3)  I'd love to know the songs that played at the roller skating rink!!!!

Thanksgiving Episode

1.  Scenario by A Tribe Called Quest

2.  I thought I heard Caribbean Queen by Billy Ocean in the bankground of Louis and his brother-in-law getting drunk, but that could have been wishful thinking.

3.  Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler

Musicians mentioned by Eddie - Janet Jackson and Tracy Chapman :)  Oh, and Pearl Jam :)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

The "Janet" Episode:

1.  "If" - from the 1993 album "janet"

2.  "Escapade" - from the 1989 album "Rhythm Nation 1814" - Eddie's friend sadly sings this 'happy' song as a way to feel better when they lose the tickets to Janet's concert.

3.  "Dammn Baby" - from Janet's new album "Unbreakable"

From the lice episode Week in Review

Luniz- I Got 5 On It. 

I remember when radio stations use to censor the mention of "endo" in songs. Could you imagine a free state edit and the bulk of the country getting a beeped song?

• Love 1
(edited)

Season 3

Episode 1:  "I Wish" by Skee-Lo, classic one hit wonder of the 90s!

Episode 2:  
"Zombie, by the cranberries, when Jessica drives the maid home.  Still my favourite band of all time. :)
"Un-Break my Heart" by Toni Braxton, when Jessica and Louis drive the maid home.  Classic, also recently heard on Brooklyn 99.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
On 3/31/2015 at 9:35 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

There was a song in the lesbian bar, but I have no clue what it is.

"Relevant Now" by Ben Standage.

On 11/3/2015 at 9:10 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Latest episode, where Louis goes on the morning show and Eddie and his friends have girlfriends.

3)  I'd love to know the songs that played at the roller skating rink!!!!

"Only Love Can Do It" by Jim Wolfe.

(edited)

303 Halloween episode:

Jewel, "Who Will Save your Soul"
Snoop Dogg, "Gin & Juice"

214 Michael Chang/Tennis Episode

Warren G and Nate Dogg - "Regulate"
Snap - "I Got the Power"

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I'm actually watching 314 now and there seems to be TWO different Sarah McLachlan songs.  I recognize Possession, but not the song when the bar manager locks the door and says no one can leave that plays right before it.  I'm listening to "Fumbling towards Ecstasy" and wow, it is just as great as Jessica says it is.

I've always loved Possession but I remember as a kid wanting to buy this album and I never got the opportunity to.

(edited)

The season 5 finale

"The Sign" - Ace of Base, by far the most popular song of my childhood.

"Poison" - Bel Biv Devoe

"Every Morning" - Sugar Ray

"Big Poppa" - The Notorious B.I.G.

All of these songs were shared on the show before, already too!  (Not sure about Sugar Ray, not a fan of theirs.)  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2