Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Hall Of Just Talk

Lisin

Not good. Turns out I have to attend an orientation for the second time in the past several months. On a Saturday. At seven in the damn morning. There's also going to be two shows I'd like to visit, but I don't know if I'll get the chance because I'll have to go into the city. At seven. In the damn morning.

Also, my district remains red. I'm hoping common sense reigned in your respective necks of the woods.

Hey everyone how are things?

Mom is letting me cook the turkey this year. Which is pretty neat though she and I are the only ones that like turkey. My dad and sister and bil prefer ham.

Well, today is one of my favorite days if that helps. :)

If only the two of you like turkey, will you cook a smallish one? Or do you make plans for the leftovers? I've invited the trying niece and her husband up, so if they're able to make it, I'll roast a largish turkey breast with lots of potatoes in the main oven and sweetish rolls in the convection oven. If she's interested, I'll teach her how to make whole wheat bread.

The jury is out on stuffing.

Not good. Turns out I have to attend an orientation for the second time in the past several months. On a Saturday. At seven in the damn morning. There's also going to be two shows I'd like to visit, but I don't know if I'll get the chance because I'll have to go into the city. At seven. In the damn morning.

Also, my district remains red. I'm hoping common sense reigned in your respective necks of the woods.

Seven am on a Saturday? That should be illegal.

I'm from a purple state and appear to be living in another purple state. Common sense and politics simply don't seem to go together.

Carl goes out on a limb, makes a pick for Broncos/Raiders. Nice to see him sticking to a persona.

caprice . . . you got Al Franken as a senator. I got two blue senators, and even I think that's awesome.

Dunno what I'll be doing this weekend. I got two shows that I could attend. It depends on how I'm feeling after the orientation. At seven o'clock in the morning. I cannot stress that enough. Also, I figure the earliest I'll see Big Hero 6 will me on Monday. It is a Marvel movie, after all . . .  they've been playing with house money since Guardians of the Galaxy.

Lantern, I was kind of amused by one of the local news anchors commenting that since Franken was re-elected with a clear majority, it seems that state voters have moved past seeing him as, "that guy who used to be on SNL."

Of course, his initial race wasn't decided for five months, what with all the recounts and legal challenges. I was just happy to see that half of his ads, unlike anyone else here, talked about what he wanted to do for voters in his second term.

So... I was in an accident on Friday....

Don't bury the lead like that, caprice. What happened? Are you okay?

As for me . . . and I wish I could segue better . . . the orientation thing was mostly meaningless, just to see if I was still interested in the position. I wound up going to NJ and I got my sketchbook completed. I got a new one a few weeks ago, and I might start getting that filled out as early as the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

ETA: Does the Jets winning over the Steelers qualify as a miracle?

Thanks, everyone. I'm mostly okay though still pretty shaken up. My poor car was towed to the body shop today, after waiting all weekend to get insurance rolling.

I may throw myself into some serious baking therapy tomorrow.

Today, I found out that a long-time Challenger passed away from a cancer relapse. Diem Brown was 32, which is too young for that sort of thing. Between that, the twentieth anniversary of Pedro Zamora's death, a sucky Survivor and TAR getting shelved for some bogus movie awards show tonight, I'd say this isn't a good time to be into reality television.

Meanwhile, Carl makes his pick in Bears/Vikings, and he pays for it. Dearly. Sorry for the mood whiplash, but I'm a sucker for those videos.

Clearly I need to make cinnamon rolls more often. They came out fine, but I didn't get the dough rolled out very well. Practice makes perfect, as they say.

Now, who can I get to eat all the practice batches for me?

Lantern, I read about Brown. Though I never watched any of the shows she was on, cancer is a deadly bitch. I'm sorry for her family.

My observation from this morning: I like it much better when precipitation changes over from frozen particulate matter to rain, rather than the other way around.  Although we don't have much more than a dusting of frozen stuff on lawns, etc.... nothing is really sticking to the roads.

New York Giants: choke artists, or choke artistes?

It's supposed to be around 70 degrees tomorrow, albeit with rain. I just don't know with the weather anymore. Oh, and I got something new up on my blog. Feedback would be nice.

ETA: What are y'all doing for Thanksgiving? I'll be home, entertaining family from New Jersey. The next day, I'll get up early to score 40 percent discounts at a comic shop.

Hey everyone, how are things?

Sorry I haven't been here in a while but absolutely nothing of interest is going on in my life. On the plus side our temps are at least up to the 70's, so that bizarre white, cold, hard water stuff has gone back to wherever it comes from.

As I type this a commercial for Agent Carter came on, not being a comic book guy, who is that?

New York Giants: choke artists, or choke artistes?

Well... they were underdogs from the start, they have been a little terrible this year. Also coming from behind is what Romo does, except when he isn't not doing the opposite of that.

That catch was ridiculous, no I am going to have to hit a thesaurus to find a better word, hold please... bedlamitey. That catch was bedlamitey.

Of course it's a word. It's mostly a word. The vast majority of that word is a word.

Edited by Hanged Man
  • Love 2

That catch was ridiculous, no I am going to have to hit a thesaurus to find a better word, hold please... bedlamitey. That catch was bedlamitey.

Of course it's a word. It's mostly a word. The vast majority of that word is a word.

This is part of why I love you.

Not doing much for Thanksgiving, going over to my sisters and bil's house.

I saw green Coke in the stores last night called Coke Life. What is that?

I think we're staying home for Thanksgiving; a couple of friends may come over but that's it.

The new green Coke is sweetened with cane sugar (instead of HFCS) and stevia.  It's not bad.... doesn't taste really diet-y, but it's not all that diet-y either calorie-wise.  I enjoyed it but am not rushing out to buy more.

Edited by MarkHB

Green Coke? But it's not St. Patrick's Day. Or is it supposed to be a holiday theme?

Carl makes his pick just in time for Thanksgiving. I guess he's got family, and doesn't hang out with the food items next door.

Hanged Man . . . Agent Carter is a spinoff from Captain America: The First Avenger, following the adventures of Peggy Carter during/after WWII. She's popped up a few times in flashbacks on Agents Of SHIELD, so the two series should be synched up.

ETA: Anyone else dealing with snow and/or rain today? I know, it could be worse, but it's still a bit nasty.

Not doing much for Thanksgiving, going over to my sisters and bil's house.

I saw green Coke in the stores last night called Coke Life. What is that?

Things are cold here. On the plus side, I night be getting my car back late next week.

I'd invited my niece and her husband up for Thanksgiving, but they need all their vacation time to go home for Christmas. Some neighbors might come over after dinner.

Green Coke sounds gross.

The new green Coke is sweetened with cane sugar (instead of HFCS) and stevia.  It's not bad.... doesn't taste really diet-y, but it's not all that diet-y either calorie-wise.  I enjoyed it but am not rushing out to buy more.

Isn't Coke in Mexico made with cane sugar? We can get it here at Costco if it is.

ETA: Anyone else dealing with snow and/or rain today? I know, it could be worse, but it's still a bit nasty.

We had snow here today, but only a few inches. Amusingly, ttm used it as an opportunity to test the snow blower. Two and a half inches of light powder....

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! For those who celebrate it.

Turkey is on the BGE slowing smoking and cooking. There have been lots of little disasters but no Thanksgiving ruining ones so far: turkey took longer to thaw than I thought it would, brine bag sprung a leak, turkey stand broke, etc.

Green Coke sounds gross.

Hmm, perhaps my post was misleading. The color of the drink is regular Coke color. The labeling is green and white as opposed to the traditional red and white. The taste isn't too bad, better than Coke Zero which is drinkable, not as good as Classic, which is divine. I may try to buy more in the future, if I get into a calorie counting mood.

Happy Thanksgiving!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! For those who celebrate it.

Turkey is on the BGE slowing smoking and cooking. There have been lots of little disasters but no Thanksgiving ruining ones so far: turkey took longer to thaw than I thought it would, brine bag sprung a leak, turkey stand broke, etc.

Hmm, perhaps my post was misleading. The color of the drink is regular Coke color. The labeling is green and white as opposed to the traditional red and white. The taste isn't too bad, better than Coke Zero which is drinkable, not as good as Classic, which is divine. I may try to buy more in the future, if I get into a calorie counting mood.

Sounds like you're already having quite the day, HM.

I'm not so sure about the stevia, even though it's a natural sweetener. I suppose the important thing with any Coke is the ability to mix it with rum or a splash of JD.

Hmm it just occurred to me that perhaps I am responsible for bringing the gravy as well... I am glad I saved the neck and giblets which I guess is involved with gravy and I hope I have around the house whatever goes into gravy.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Power came back at 11 this morning

How long have been without power?

Edited by Hanged Man

About 12 hours... It went out at around 11 last night. It was a heavy, wet snow... Great for snowmen and snowball fights, bad for power lines and shoveling. I'll post some pics from this morning later.

Hmm it just occurred to me that perhaps I am responsible for bringing the gravy as well... I am glad I saved the neck and giblets which I guess is involved with gravy and I hope I have around the house whatever goes into gravy.

Pretty much a few tablespoons of flour to bind the salt, pepper and drippings.

About 12 hours... It went out at around 11 last night. It was a heavy, wet snow... Great for snowmen and snowball fights, bad for power lines and shoveling. I'll post some pics from this morning later.

Ugh, that's not the kind of snow that goes away easily. We've been lucky to only have 2-3 inches of light, dry snow. Good thing with new neighbors either moving in or being born today.

Hey, HM, the dog show just came on!

Got my Black Friday shopping done . . . bought a bunch of comics and trade paperbacks at 40 percent off, and it' not even 10:30 yet. Right now, I'm trying to see how long I can go without going back to sleep. Wound up getting up around 6:30 to make the sale.

Greetings, one and all. I think I'll spend my day baking.

Got my Black Friday shopping done.

I have yet to start my... oh, wait. Okay, I've started my Christmas shopping but have yet to make either of my shopping lists.

Hey everyone, how are things?

But there was football to watch... Not good football. but football nonetheless

There was a lot of football. Good grief, after the first three possessions in the Seattle/SF game I shook my head and muttered to my glass of wine, "This is going to be an ugly, ugly game."

If you missed the dog show, NBC will run it on Saturday at 8 p.m. I only caught bits of it, but I did see who won. Thankfully, all the dogs that advanced to Best In Show looked like dogs, as opposed to any Poodles and Pekingese.

I'm dreading Wednesday. Normally, I'd try to sneak Arrow in after Survivor and before South Park, especially since it'll be the second part of the "Flash Vs. Arrow" crossover that looks like fun. But for whatever reason, CBS is running TWO episodes of Survivor, meaning that I'd have to DVR Arrow, then DVR Comedy Central's stuff at 10-11 p.m. And I know South Park reruns at 12:30 a.m., but I don't want to take the 0.5 percent chance that the episode would get pulled for being too controversial (see "Episode 201"), so I have to DVR that. All this while I'm sitting on a pile of recorded DVR material that I never get around to watching. I know, it's a "me problem," but it's still a pain in my ass.

I'm beginning to understand why Christmas has been big lately, what will only 28 days between that holiday and Thanksgiving. Minimum, I have to go shopping for Christmas cards. I hope nobody out here gets burned out on the holiday.

ETA: Does Tom Coughlin quit the Giants before he gets fired? Giving up a 21-point lead to the Jaguars probably called for hara-kiri on the 50-yard line, but I guess he's waiting on the Titans next week to do that.

Hey everyone how are things? I have a complete lack of motivation today.

ETA: Does Tom Coughlin quit the Giants before he gets fired? Giving up a 21-point lead to the Jaguars probably called for hara-kiri on the 50-yard line, but I guess he's waiting on the Titans next week to do that.

Two Superbowl victories goes a long way in my book. Though that loss to the Jaguars is pretty appalling

Anyone else psyched???

I don't know what a Suicide Squad is...

OK, I have to love the Burger King Facebook Page.... in celebration of the return of the Yumbo,

I don't know what a Yumbo is. Though Wikipedia says it's a small industrial city in Columbia

The Yumbo was BK's ham and cheese sandwich when I was a kid.  Back then IIRC it was on a Whopper bun, and I don't think it had anything on it but the ham and cheese.  They've brought it back as of this week, slightly modified.

Suicide Squad is like the Dirty Dozen with supervillains: complete the mission and get their sentences commuted or lessened, go off-script and TPTB can trigger death by subcutaneous implant.

Ton Coughlin's Super Bowl victories are the stuff of legend... meaning they didn't really happen. :-<

Bit of a rarity right now . . . Giants and Jets playing at the same time. NY/NJ fans can choose which team they want to see lose in a humiliating manner. The Jets are already down 7-0, and the game hasn't lasted a minute yet.

Hey guys!  So I survived Thursday evening and Black Friday, though work was insanely busy, and tomorrow will be my first venture out to do some Christmas shopping!  Work is still busy, but I'm trying to take time to savor the holidays and have as much fun as I can.

Banana waffles in the steam tray!

Hmm, checking yesterday's scoreboard, I see that the Giants won. I guess it wasn't such a disaster for some NY/NJ fans. ;)

Glad you're surviving the holidays, wd!

I'm hosting the neighborhood cookie exchange soon, so there's a lot of baking that will be happening here.

If the years go by more quickly as we get older, why doesn't the same apply to November, December, January and February?

Because this is how the universe laughs at everyone in the Northern Hemisphere with SAD or depression issues.

If the years go by more quickly as we get older, why doesn't the same apply to November, December, January and February?

Those months are a little cooler than the other ones but otherwise pretty indistinguishable from them. I mean fewer leaves on the trees and the temp gets below freezing a couple of times but other than that there just isn't a huge difference. Actually it's far more comfortable in those months, on average.

Time does seem to be going faster though, I think it is all the days of just doing the same-ish stuff week after week... Maybe the time goes faster because our lives just get less and less interesting.

Sports Illustrated just announced their Sportsman of the Year.

Yeah, there was no one else that was quite as talked about this year, and the World Cup was pretty tame.

Those months are a little cooler than the other ones but otherwise pretty indistinguishable from them. I mean fewer leaves on the trees and the temp gets below freezing a couple of times but other than that there just isn't a huge difference. Actually it's far more comfortable in those months, on average.

Time does seem to be going faster though, I think it is all the days of just doing the same-ish stuff week after week... Maybe the time goes faster because our lives just get less and less interesting.

"A little cooler?" I've been saying this for the last several months - for my next move, it'll be either south or back to the west coast. These winters are nuts.

Dear HM, you seem to have forgotten the old saying, "Time flies when you're having fun." ;)

I'm having a cookie exchange party next Tuesday and hope people will be showing up for it. Regardless, I've got one of the neighbors bringing her young daughter over to "help" me with a particular batch of cookies.