Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Hall Of Just Talk

Lisin

caprice . . . I think they don't turn up until Monday. That's when I found the promo for the show on YouTube. I also saw commercials last night during Survivor, so I don't think CBS is out to screw TAR. There might be an increase in ratings when Shark Tank moves to 9. I hope that's the case.

Must be a US thing, Lantern. I used to see promos on CTV the day after an ep while in Canada.

Hey everyone

It is finally getting comfortable around here, hopefully we won't see mid 90's until next May.

I saw an episode of TAR tonight, I don't think I knew that they eliminated teams after every episode.

I am fine with the Royals, Tigers, Orioles, Nationals, or Dodgers winning it. Anyone else is unacceptable.

Heh, I don't know who's playing on the NL side, but it is clearly a team that yours was up against in one of the two years you're trying to block from your memory. I'm kind of surprised you'd support the Nats.

Hey everyone,

Hanged Man . . . is this your first TAR experience?

It is the first time I have paid attention to it while it was on. I didn't watch the whole episode, I got in late and I surfed during commercials and missed bits because of that. They had the teams punting (which I don't know if they called it that, but that is what it was) and I don't understand how people had so much trouble with their punts. There were a couple of teams that just seemed to not get the idea of how boats work on water. I found it bizarre.

Also in keeping with my tradition of watching Octobery movies in October, I watched Dark Shadows last night and thought of Mark.

Heh, I don't know who's playing on the NL side, but it is clearly a team that yours was up against in one of the two years you're trying to block from your memory. I'm kind of surprised you'd support the Nats.

It is not A team on the NL side that my team was up against. It is both teams that mine was up against.

I have nothing against the Nats. There are only a couple of NL teams I care about, one way or the other.

I completely spaced on the fact that my family has a personal connection to two of the Orioles: the brother of one was a classmate of SonHB, and another has actually been in my house for dinner. Plus the Os have been waiting even longer than the Royals to even win a pennant, let alone a Series.

Fox execs must be downing antacids like there's no tomorrow.  They have possibilities of two single-market Series (Dodgers-Angels and O's-Nats) or an all-Missouri series. Granted, those are only 3 of the 16 possibilities, and I bet the Tigers can garner some national support because of what's happened to Detroit, but it's still a lot of small-market teams plus the Dodgers (I've heard years ago that the Dodgers are the only team in LA that people care about even if they're losing. Otherwise, you may as well go to the beach.)

I saw the premiere of TAR and am caught up on Survivor.  I didn't have any issues with the eliminations I've seen.

I did get to both the Pulps exhibit and the organ tour last night; pics to follow although I did put one particularly iconic cover on my FB.

I don't have the pulp photos online yet, but here are the two pieces that were played by Portland's Municipal Organist, Ray Cornils, during the open house last night:

This one is more classical (I believe it's by Edward Elgar):

This one shows off some of the tricks the Mighty Kotzschmar can do:

You may be able to see the wooden louvers opening and closing behind the facade pipes; those control the volume that reaches the audience from the various banks of "real" pipes.

Waffles, coffee and pumpkin bars out and ready for anyone who'd like them.

It is not A team on the NL side that my team was up against. It is both teams that mine was up against.

I have nothing against the Nats. There are only a couple of NL teams I care about, one way or the other.

I see. That just doesn't seem right.

I completely spaced on the fact that my family has a personal connection to two of the Orioles: the brother of one was a classmate of SonHB, and another has actually been in my house for dinner. Plus the Os have been waiting even longer than the Royals to even win a pennant, let alone a Series.

Fox execs must be downing antacids like there's no tomorrow.  They have possibilities of two single-market Series (Dodgers-Angels and O's-Nats) or an all-Missouri series. Granted, those are only 3 of the 16 possibilities, and I bet the Tigers can garner some national support because of what's happened to Detroit, but it's still a lot of small-market teams plus the Dodgers (I've heard years ago that the Dodgers are the only team in LA that people care about even if they're losing. Otherwise, you may as well go to the beach.)

I saw the premiere of TAR and am caught up on Survivor.  I didn't have any issues with the eliminations I've seen.

I did get to both the Pulps exhibit and the organ tour last night; pics to follow although I did put one particularly iconic cover on my FB.

That's cool, Mark! It reminds me that my family has a connection to HM's Stars, as well. Okay, not to a player, but to a member of their staff. Yours is a cooler connection.

Heh, no chance of a CA-based Series now. Woot!! It'll be interesting to see how the NL series shakes out, but I'd definitely like to see some travel involved in the Series.

Oh, and those clips with the organ are incredible!

Hanged Man . . . I hope you tune in next week. I think they'll have sheep and mini horses. Animal-centric episodes usually go over well, because they're unpredictable. For instance, check out the "Broken Ox" incident with Colin & Christie at the 1:34 mark. So awesome.

BWAAAAH!! That will never not be funny, Lantern.

The Angels aren't going to win! The Angels aren't going to win! Oh my God, the Angels aren't going to win!!!!

Now we just need to get Washington and the Dodgers on track...

YAY!!! Yes, c'mon Dodgers! C'mon Nats!

That organ is impressive.

Heh.

check out the "Broken Ox" incident with Colin & Christie at the 1:34 mark. So awesome.

I guess they never figured out that plowing is a two person job with one person leading the ox where they want it to go? BTW in my experience shouting instructions while otherwise being functionally useless really annoys the person who is doing all the work who you are yelling at.

Edited because my grammatical error was irritating me

Edited by Hanged Man

Hanged Man . . . bingo. In that episode, the other teams figured out what someone had to lead their ox while another plowed. The object was to pull up a rope in the mud that would have the clue. Colin & Christie didn't get it . . . then again, they were lagging behind the other teams, and they got frustrated really easily.

It is 95 degrees here. What the hell, Fall? You are failing.

You want Fall Weather? You're more than welcome to come up here for a visit. We will be between 61 and 54 degrees for the next five days.

It's 69 degrees for me now. I need the weather to hold up for New York Comic Con this weekend.

It'll be holding steady out here, so here's hoping the weather does the same for you. Have fun at Comic Con, Lantern!

Sorry, HM, I'm going to have to reserve some mojo for a few days. However, once we get to the Series, I'll be all over doing whatever black magic we have to perform to ensure an AL win.

'Kay?

I'm okay, a bit nervous but okay. How are you?

Good morning everyone, how are things?

Yesterday sucked so much I still feel drained.

Saw my first Constantine commercial. For some reason I am unhappy with him being blonde, it seems weird.

You can also check out my pictures here.

It looks like it took place in an old airplane hangar.

And I love the people dressing up in what I consider obscure outfits.

You know what was missing? A huge crowd of Deadpools.

Oh wait there they are. :)

Did anyone else see the screenshots, etc. that were just released from the new LEGO Batman game?  It looks hilarious: they've added virtually every character you can think of: Green Arrow (voiced by Stephen Amell), Deadshot, Deathstroke, Green Lantoon (a certain familiar black duck seems to have been given a Battery of Power), Kevin Smith, Detective Chimp, Conan O'Brien....

In other news, SisHB has gotten engaged!

Hanged Man . . . you can check out more cosplay from NYCC here.

MarkHB . . . I haven't had the chance to see the screenshots. Now I'm wondering whether there would be a salmon ladder level for Green Arrow. And as a GL fan, I found the "Green Loontern" episode of Duck Dodgers to be funny, even if it did degrade Sinestro a lot.

Some nice shots from the Con, Lantern. :)

Good morning everyone, how are things?

Yesterday sucked so much I still feel drained.

*bites tongue*

In other news, SisHB has gotten engaged!

Congrats to SisHB! I wish her great happiness. :)

In my news, my best friend from Toronto is coming to visit next month!

• Love 1

I love October. the weather is so pleasant

I had some shingles come loose so I replaced them a few weeks ago and the night after I replaced them we got an end all be all rainstorm that knocked one of my new shingles loose. I was unimpressed. I maintain that the sealant hadn't set.

I'm in the middle of a four-week period where I'm on my own for three weeks. Other than that... not much going on at all.

Getting rained on.  They're saying something ridiculous like 6 inches of rain total this week.  Yourself?

Mark, that's an insane amount of rain for one week, and I say this as a woman who grew up in The Evergreen State.

I love October. the weather is so pleasant

I had some shingles come loose so I replaced them a few weeks ago and the night after I replaced them we got an end all be all rainstorm that knocked one of my new shingles loose. I was unimpressed. I maintain that the sealant hadn't set.

After your summer, October would be pleasant. I'm hoping we'll have a mild winter. If we don't, look for me on your doorstep at some point.

I'm doing political volunteer work. I also got this sketch yesterday. Other than that, not much else has been going on.

Except for the volunteer work and sketch getting, that sounds about like my life, Lantern. Oh, something fun and cool - I'm taking a design class for home gardeners which is a lot of fun. :D

Waffles in the steam tray, coffee brewing away.

What do you guys think about The Amazing Race these days? Friday nights aren't bringing in the big ratings, but we'd have a 9 p.m. start time right now if it still aired on Sundays.

I keep forgetting it's on!

I'd like to see the Royals win, but I'm not sure how much I'll watch.  If the Royals go up early, expect the GIants to pull out every pitcher on the roster except Peavy.

Incidentally, has anyone else seen this:

Edited by MarkHB

Interesting . . . tonight's episode of Survivor was titled "Make Some Magic Happen." Arrow had "The Magician." And South Park had "The Magic Bush." I just find it funny.

Are we, as a society, ready to accept a hero whose name is "Bumgarner"? I bet Madison heard a lot of snickering about it growing up.

The NY Times came up with a new stat, the "Matty Score," named for Christy Mathewson and calculated as [total World Series innings pitched]-(3*[World Series ERA]).  Mathewson is first by a wide margin, Sandy Koufax is second, Bumgarner is now third.  The highest-ranked Red Sox pitcher on the list, with 31 IP over two Series and a cumulative 0.87 World Series ERA, is Babe Ruth.

When they come up with a stat to describe your World Series achievement, and not only has it not been done since the Ottoman Empire was a thing, but one of the only two other people to do it was Cy Young.... you done good, kid.

The last time Halloween was oba Friday, we got over 50 kids. This year, it was in the teens. Not sure if the kids are aging out of it, or if the combination of a dead stretch and some trees on the street that leads to ours dissuades the kids from coming all the way down.

Happy belated All Souls Day and happy All Saints Day!

I got no trick or treaters, but I am not in a neighborhood so I never get any.

You got that backwards... All Saints is Nov. 1, All Souls is Nov. 2.  :)  All Saints, or All Hallows, is what led to the night before being All Hallow's Eve, since Catholic theology is all about chocolate.

• Love 1

That is bizarre, I read numerous places that the 1st is All Soul's day, and I have believed it for years.

BTW Nerd Thought of the Weekend, I was driving around Saturday and I saw a building labeled "Proton Therapy" and my first thought was wouldn't electrons need therapy more?

Edited by Hanged Man

Yes, it was miserable all weekend.  Fortunately none of it stuck where I am, but it was definitely falling and I did see one parked car with a noticeable amount on it.  Further north, they got more, and I heard something like 15 inches in Aroostook County, which is where the infamous Nurse-Who-Will-Not-Be-Quarantined is.  (Seriously, I could probably drive to Philadelphia more quickly than I could get to Fort Kent, which was hitherto best known for biathlon and for being the place where US Route 1 begins.)

HM, you're probably right, electrons need therapy more because of their obvious commitment issues.  Speaking of which, did anyone else see xkcd today?

Haven't gotten any snow here yet, but it's getting colder.  I'm a bit nervous about Black Friday, we're supposed to have three of us working the AP job but no one's seen one of the guys for like two weeks, and the other guy's brand new.  On the plus side, I'm assisting in the kitchen this year and learning how to cook a turkey!  Has anyone watched Scorpion yet?  I really like it, the characters seem to work well together and I called the love interest in the first episode.

Coffee and fresh-baked bread for anyone who'd like some.

Hey there, wd! Here's hoping things get sorted between now and Black Friday. Good luck with the turkey, too! I'll either roast a turkey breast or make reservations. ;)