Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Hall Of Just Talk

Lisin

(edited)

Please... save me from the boxes....

Hey everyone, how are things?

For some stupid reason I thought the US - Ghana game started at 6:30 CST, and it did not. I was working and I thought I would leave at 6 and get to someplace to watch it and when I checked at 6 to confirm my times, I was flabbergasted to learn that the game was half over and we were winning. It was all in all a kind of yucky day.

Is there anything to do in YARRRRRmouth? Or are you going to get there, clear customs, and turn around and come back?

I missed all World Cup action yesterday, and will continue missing it until sometime Wednesday, I think.

Heh, you're talking like a pirate, and it isn't even September!

Caprice . . . I'm a crap magnet myself.

I went to the library and missed the first US goal. Who scores in under a minute? I managed to get home and caught the rest of the game, including Ghana's equalizer and the US going up 2-1 four minutes later. One game down, two to go . . . and maybe more afterward.

I'm trying to reduce my packrat tendencies.

Apparently, this was only the SIXTH fastest goal scored in WC history, so... at least five people had already scored in thirty seconds. ;)

One cool thing about the World Cup is that Google has sent some employees down to Brazil to create Google Doodles live. As the game progressed yesterday, the two eagles on the logo laid eggs reflecting the score, and when the game was over they hatched!

That is cool, Mark!

That would explain the octopus trying to choose between boxes marked after Belgium and Algeria. Kinda. Sorta.

I'm sorry, Lantern. Nothing explains the octopus.

*the mind, it boggles*

ToP:

"A wed wose. How womantic."

Edited by caprice

That would explain the octopus trying to choose between boxes marked after Belgium and Algeria. Kinda. Sorta.

It turns out the octopus was a thing in the 2010 World Cup.  But now it's dead.

It also turns out that they've given my friend and I (!MrsHB isn't making the trip) a cabin on the return trip, instead of just recliners.  They're the Category A cabins, too, meaning they're on the side of the hull with an unobstructed porthole window.  And while there's something to be said for having a dedicated recliner next to a bar to spend your day cruise in, I'd rather have the cabin to stow my gear.

• Love 1

*sobbing desperately*

So, the thing is, my late grandmother used to tell all us grand-kids, "If there's something of mine that you want when I'm gone, put your initials on it." The only thing, and I do mean the ONLY thing, I ever put my initials on was a finely constructed porcelain figurine of a slender, red-haired woman with an enormous blue hat. She bought it in Italy during her travels and as I grew up, she decided that it reminded her of me.

Come this past April when I'm overseeing movers packing up my belongings for this move. I tell the man wrapping up things in my office that this piece is precious to me and that I hope she will be well cared for. He assures me that they will take great care with her.

Flash forward to this evening.

Stupid fuckhead only wrapped her in several sheets of paper. I found her in three pieces.

*is hugged* Thanks, guys. I really appreciate it.

Fortunately, we've got moving insurance, so... at least the pictures frames and tables that we're finding broken or damaged can be replaced. My figurine? I'll have to wait until my mother gets here to see if she can glue it.

I'm sorry, Caprice. I hope you got some cathartic yelling out. I probably would have.

Nothing like watching the World Cup and seeing forlorn Swiss fans in painted faces, helmets, and giant wedges of Swiss Cheese on the helmets.

Nothing like watching the World Cup and seeing forlorn Swiss fans in painted faces, helmets, and giant wedges of Swiss Cheese on the helmets.

Thanks, Lantern. I definitely got some yelling done. I'm not happy about it, but it should be glueable. *fingers crossed*

That was a funny, funny match.

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Where did "A 'Cheery' Place To Chat!" come from?  I hadn't emailed Dave to set it (to "Hall of Just Talk," since that seemed to have a consensus of "Fine" and "No comment") because my ISP has been having issues with its email server.

I'm the mod for this forum, so please feel free to PM me with any questions etc. The subtitle was something I came up with on the spur of the moment, 'cheery' being a play on 'cheer-leader', as no actual request had been submitted, ergo, it had been without a subtitle for a while.

@The Crazed Spruce has politely requested that it be renamed 'Hall of Just Talk' and says this is what you guys prefer, so I have changed it for you.

Also, as per the new pinned post in here, if you want to add character threads etc, you are more than welcome to do so.

• Love 1

So. Anybody else have palpitations watching US/Portugal? Of course the Portuguese needed every extra minute to tie the game. And, of course, the Americans aren't getting to the next stage easily.

You know, it's really a good thing that I don't have anywhere I have to be these days. Between the World Cup and today being the start of Wimbledon, I'll just be parked in front of the tv all. Day. Long. Heck, I might even get dressed!

Funny story. This morning, what do I find on Yahoo's front page? Home remedies for mosquito bites. Yes, my ankles were attacked over the weekend. Just one of the drawbacks to living near a wetland. One of the cool parts? Standing at my bedroom window last night, I looked out and saw a bunch of teeny, tiny blinking lights over the pond and in the grass bordering the pond. I could also just barely hear the chirping of the cicadas and frogs. Love it!

Lantern, it wasn't quite palpitations, but there were some shouts in the trying household at that final goal in the US/Portugal match.

One of the cool parts? Standing at my bedroom window last night, I looked out and saw a bunch of teeny, tiny blinking lights over the pond and in the grass bordering the pond.

The tadpoles were having a rave?

• Love 1

The tadpoles were having a rave?

That's what that was? Dammit! The little bastards didn't invite me! Well, see if I bother saving them when ttm decides he wants a little snack once they develop legs....

Didn't see most of Italy getting eliminated today. My mother works with Italians, but there wasn't any reaction to the loss, or of the Uruguay player taking a bite out of an Azzurri (Azzurro?). I read about that guy in SI . . . he's supposed ot be full of spirit, or gara. I guess he wasn't full enough.

Whee! I saw the first deer near our property this morning! I guess there are benefits to being awakened with the morning's first sunlight....

It was funny because ttm's been asking since we moved in, "Where are the deer. I want to see deer. Why aren't we seeing any deer?" This at 5-6pm. When the construction crews are still packing up.

Logic sometimes means very little to him.

• Love 1

We have our share of fauna here on Staten Island. In fact, I could've sworn seeing a deer last week when I was walking in a park. I don't think we have any animals as famous as our wild turkeys. You can read about 'em here . . . I don't think they're that aggressive. A few weeks ago, I kept driving my car into a walkway on a red light in order to make sure two turkeys didn't get in my way when the light turned green.

I don't think they're that aggressive. A few weeks ago, I kept driving my car into a walkway on a red light in order to make sure two turkeys didn't get in my way when the light turned green.

Awww, that was nice of you.

Seriously, turkeys and geese can be MEAN! A cousin of mine had several geese that would come after me whenever I needed to get to my car.

(edited)

Went out to see the US/Belgium game. It was fun, even with the loss, what with Tim Howard making a tourney's worth of saves in a single game. I'm hoping this will be the start of bigger things for soccer in the USA, and that Ann Coulter can * Snip *

Edited by SilverStormm
Inappropriate comment removed.
  • Love 1

Hey guys, it's been a while!  Glad we've got a new place to hang out, I've missed chatting with all of you! New stuff going with me:  I've been working at Best Buy here in Iowa for almost two years, been writing on a Heroes RPG site and I've started online dating a guy from England!  I'm so looking forward to catching up with all of you again and having fun!

• Love 2

Hey everyone, how are things?

Hey there writingdreamer! Welcome to the board!

Happy July 4th everyone!

I was backpacking in Colorado last week and missed both the US v Portugal game and the US v Germany game. We ran across a German hiker Friday morning but I totally forgot to ask him. We didn't learn the results until Friday afternoon.

I tried to get to Cowboy stadium for the US v Belgium match but traffic was horrendous. I ended up at Gas Monkey Bar and Grill.

I was backpacking in Colorado last week and missed both the US v Portugal game and the US v Germany game. We ran across a German hiker Friday morning but I totally forgot to ask him. We didn't learn the results until Friday afternoon.

I tried to get to Cowboy stadium for the US v Belgium match but traffic was horrendous. I ended up at Gas Monkey Bar and Grill.

How was your backpacking trip? Did you come back in one piece, or are you a mess of bug bites? Somehow, I'm not surprised that y'all forgot to ask about the results of the game. Since you had no connectivity, why would you think the other hiker did?

The Bar & Grill was probably a better place than Cowboy Stadium to watch the match.

I'm so tired of construction stuff. Someone remind me... why did I buy new construction in a developing neighborhood?

I'm going back to Toronto in late August. Yes, Fan Expo is involved, but I'm hoping to see Casa Loma before I start comic conning my brains out.

Caprice . . . how close to the Twin Cities are you? If you're close or there, do you plan on going to any pre-All-Star Game activities that'll more than likely be set up in the area?

Because it's always fun to watch them pour the cement.

As much fun as watching paint dry!

I'm going back to Toronto in late August. Yes, Fan Expo is involved, but I'm hoping to see Casa Loma before I start comic conning my brains out.

Caprice . . . how close to the Twin Cities are you? If you're close or there, do you plan on going to any pre-All-Star Game activities that'll more than likely be set up in the area?

Lantern, I never went to Casa Loma. Have fun!

I'm about as close to the Twin Cities as I was to Toronto, actually. I'd love to go to some of the All-Star Game activities, but probably won't be able to. I'll try to talk ttm into something on Sunday since we were going to be in the area anyway.

Oh, and Lantern, it's caprice with a small 'c,' please. Remember, I have that thing about capitalization. ;)

Watching the pouring of cement is far more fun than watching paint dry!  I would've liked to been in Boston at the end of May... they're building a new skyscraper, and they had what was said to be the largest concrete pour ever in New England; a fleet of cement mixers pouring continuously for something like 36 hours for the foundation.

And one of these day's I need to ask you what your thing about capitalization actually is.

• Love 1

Watching the pouring of cement is far more fun than watching paint dry!  I would've liked to been in Boston at the end of May... they're building a new skyscraper, and they had what was said to be the largest concrete pour ever in New England; a fleet of cement mixers pouring continuously for something like 36 hours for the foundation.

And one of these day's I need to ask you what your thing about capitalization actually is.

There's a similar construction project going out here, too.

My "thing about capitalization?" Mostly, it's that I spell my screen names without it. Informality, my dear. Informality. :)

caprice . . . you'll forgive me if I use capitalization, since I'm supposed to be a writer last I checked. Also: what sorts of activities does MLB have in Minneapolis? Last year, I just went to FanFest at the Javits Center for, like, half a day. It was nice . . . I didn't get autographs, but I took lots of pics.

• Love 1

My "thing about capitalization?" Mostly, it's that I spell my screen names without it. Informality, my dear. Informality. :)

Ah.  Because I've heard there's a thing that if you spell your actual name without capitalization, it means you're illegitimate royalty.  Just wondering.  ;)

• Love 1

caprice . . . you'll forgive me if I use capitalization, since I'm supposed to be a writer last I checked. Also: what sorts of activities does MLB have in Minneapolis? Last year, I just went to FanFest at the Javits Center for, like, half a day. It was nice . . . I didn't get autographs, but I took lots of pics.

Funny thing is, I'm supposed to be a writer, too. And then I remember that e. e. cummings didn't use capitalization.

I'm not sure what they're doing for fan All-Star activities. We've talked about checking some of it out, but... who knows if that'll happen. I'm going to remind ttm that this is kind of a once-in-a-lifetime experience. That, and my mother would be jealous.

Ah.  Because I've heard there's a thing that if you spell your actual name without capitalization, it means you're illegitimate royalty.  Just wondering.  ;)

Hmm, there could be something to that.... ;)

I'm not sure what they're doing for fan All-Star activities. We've talked about checking some of it out, but... who knows if that'll happen. I'm going to remind ttm that this is kind of a once-in-a-lifetime experience. That, and my mother would be jealous.

There's the FanFest, which is an ongoing "thing," and from the website allstargame.com you may be able to get tickets for the Futures and Celebrity Softball games on Sunday.

(edited)

I don't know about "once in a lifetime," since the All-Star Game was in the Metrodome in 1985. However, it took MLB almost 50 years to find Flushing for the Mets' second ASG, so your milage may vary.

caprice . . . my mother is going to Toronto as well, though she's leaving the conning to me. What locales would you recommend? In my head, there's the CN Tower, Royal Ontario Museum, the shoe museum (as seen on The Amazing Race), the new aquarium near the Rogers Centre, Casa Loma and maybe the Zoo if she still needs a panda fix. She's not as into sports as me, though, so the Hockey Hall of Fame would be a no-go.

Edited by Lantern7

There's the FanFest, which is an ongoing "thing," and from the website allstargame.com you may be able to get tickets for the Futures and Celebrity Softball games on Sunday.

He did sound interested the other day, so we might do something.

I don't know about "once in a lifetime," since the All-Star Game was in the Metrodome in 1985. However, it took MLB almost 50 years to find Flushing for the Mets' second ASG, so your milage may vary.

caprice . . . my mother is going to Toronto as well, though she's leaving the conning to me. What locales would you recommend? In my head, there's the CN Tower, Royal Ontario Museum, the shoe museum (as seen on The Amazing Race), the new aquarium near the Rogers Centre, Casa Loma and maybe the Zoo if she still needs a panda fix. She's not as into sports as me, though, so the Hockey Hall of Fame would be a no-go.

Considering the likelihood of our still living here, or in ANY baseball city for an ASG, I might be safe with "once-in-a-lifetime." I do get your point, though. :)

Your mother is going to TO, too? Wow. What is she interested in and how is she with transit? Casa Loma, the ROM, the AGO (Art Gallery of Ontario) and the Bata Shoe Museum are all good options. If you are interested in the CN Tower, I'd highly recommend making dinner reservations. You'll pay about the same for a regular visit or the three course dinner, but dinner will give you two full rotations and time on the level with the glass floor.

I missed Brazil/Germany today, but ESPN was nice enough to provide highlights of the slaughter. After seeing so many Brazilians in tears, I kinda feel the need to shower the shame away. And the worst part: the team will have to play a consolation game on Saturday. After getting beat 7-1, who's in the mood for third place?

Defintion of "bummer": coming back to Previously after ten-plus hours to find that nobody has been posting in the same topics as you.

Thinking about it . . . at least Brazil scored a goal against the Germans. That's one better than the American team. How much crap do you think the German team gave the goalkeeper afterward? "We had a shutout! You had clean sheets, and then you blew it!"

I heard that they were telling the German fans to stay in the stadium and lay low for awhile, lest they be the victims of violent crime.

I'd think they'd recommend that to the Brazilian team! Heck, Brazilian fans were cheering the German play in the last ten minutes of the game. I think the German fans had nothing to worry about. ;)

Thinking about it . . . at least Brazil scored a goal against the Germans. That's one better than the American team. How much crap do you think the German team gave the goalkeeper afterward? "We had a shutout! You had clean sheets, and then you blew it!"

None. The Germans were clearly passing up on some of their scoring opportunities toward the end of the first half. There was no reason for the goalkeeper to approach that final goal, especially not in the final seconds of the match. They were probably thinking, "Good thing he didn't do that earlier!" ;)

(edited)

I watched the Brazil Germany game and the Germans scored so often I missed one and couldn't figure out what happened. I am very surprised that the Brazilian people didn't flip the fuck out and start setting cars on fire and smashing windows.

I watched the Argentina Netherlands game and nearly fell asleep during it.

How was your backpacking trip?

It was a lot of fun though high altitudes give me problems

Did you come back in one piece, or are you a mess of bug bites?

There were a lot of bugs and scrapes and scratches but I do believe I am alive and in one piece.

Since you had no connectivity, why would you think the other hiker did?

Cuz, he was near the beginning of the trail going in one direction and we were near the end of our trail going in the other. ;-)

Edited by Hanged Man
  • Love 1

It was a lot of fun though I am high altitudes give me problems

Why does it seem that there is something missing from this thought?

Then again... you were in Colorado.... ;)

• Love 1
(edited)
It was a lot of fun though I am high altitudes give me problems

Why does it seem that there is something missing from this thought?

Sigh, my fingers aren't as fast as my brain so they skip a bit to catch up.

Fixed.

I am not one to let being miserable get in the way of having a good time.

Edited by Hanged Man
  • Love 1

Had to jump through a few hoops for a potential job. How monotonous was it? I tooked the ferry back for the express purpose of having a Blizzard at Dairy Queen, because I felt that I earned it. The kicker is that I'm going to have to go to Queens in a few weeks. At 6:30 a.m. I know I can pull it off, but I'm not gonna be a happy camper (slight pun intended).

Scanned the Emmys nominations briefly. No Phil Keoghan for Best Host? Bullcrap. Simply bullcrap.