Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Hall Of Just Talk

Lisin

They would be playing the Red Sox, who I know aren't having the best of years. I'm torn between getting the tickets in advance and dealing with surcharges versus potentially getting shut out because the team is actually good. At least I know the weather won't be a factor. Here's my take on the last time I was at the Rogers Centre . . . it was about the night I had after meeting you, Caprice.

Meh, I'd say you're safe risking it. By the time you're there, who knows what'll be going on with the Jays.

Hey! I remember that day! I nearly stayed in town to watch the game myself, but I'd heard the weather report earlier. As it was, I barely made it through my front door before the torrential rains started....

I am proud to announce that as of tonight, I have finally seen the TAR finale... and I managed to remain unspoiled throughout! I can't say I was particularly happy with the outcome, though.

• Love 1

MarkHB . . . you're not alone, I'm afraid. I was fine with the finale, though, so at least I'm happy. As for catching up on stuff . . . I still have the Supernatural finale on DVR that I'll have to clear out before I go to Toronto next week.

I had a doctor's appointment, so that's why I'm in so early now. And there wasn't enough time for lots of stuff to change on the Internet, so now I'm bored and a little tired, and it isn't even noon yet.

Waffles in the steam tray!

Mark, now that you've seen the finale you can remind me who won. I don't remember why I missed it.

Hope the doctor appointment goes well, Lantern, and that you have fun in Toronto. I get to look for both a job and a doctor this week.

Dave & Conner won TAR24.  Caroline & Jennifer finished second (improbably, with their meager skills), while the Big Brother team whose names I can't remember finished in third. I think TAR25 wrapped up filming . . . there's going to be a couple from Survivor there. On the flip side, TAR will be represented in the upcoming season of Survivor. So . . . synergy, yay.

Not yet. All I can say is that TAR will be represented, and that's the only casting spoiler I really know about. Or want to know about. I can send you the information if you'd like.

caprice . . . I'm relatively okay. Right now, I'm trying to find a clinic for what's ailing me, and that's a pain in the ass. Also, I'm still trying to kill time, and I'm still frustrated that little changes online whenever I log in.

You just put the complete URL for the Youtube page.

So, last night I got roped into watching Camp Rock on The Disney Channel, and wound up wondering who the girl playing the villainess (a word Firefox doesn't seem to understand) reminded me of.  I finally figured it out... any ideas?

No, I hadn't actually seen her anywhere, she just looks a lot like someone else... and unfortunately the resemblance to the person I'm thinking of isn't as apparent in the photos as it was on the show.

Well, I was sitting there wondering "who is that," and then I realized who I was thinking of and that it wasn't her at all.... but I think that girl (particularly if you see her in the movie) looks a lot like this one.

Edited by MarkHB

I think you have to use the regular youtube.com URL (not the shortened version) and cut off the "&feature=youtu.be" part. So the second one would be

xttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opoc-AjMlww

(note that I changed the protocol so it wouldn't trigger the embedding)

The only other thing I can suggest is that, if you're setting them up as a URL link (with the {url=xxxx}text{/url}), that won't work; just put them straight in the message text without doing anything else to them.

Also, congratulations on your shiny new shield!

• Love 1

Try clicking the >_ button on the edit window (the one that's furthest left, closest to your avatar). It'll show your post as raw html text. Delete the url tags around the youtube address. If that still doesn't work, then the person who posted the video has embedding blocked.

MarkHB . . . the shield is a few weeks old, but thanks for noticing! It still has the shiny shield smell, if that makes sense.

*crossing fingers*

Finally!! A map to the Multiverse for anybody in here who cares! I'm also having troubles with the job application, but I think I know what I have to do now.

• Love 1

Observation from the Emmys: I'm still a fan of The Amazing Race, given how I fist-pumped when it won for Outstanding Competitive Reality Program. Yeah, the show's dipped in quality, but I'm still celebrating like that. And I got to see Phil Keoghan on stage, which was a nice bonus.

On another board I have begun visiting, someone just commented on a posting about the recent record-setting sale of a copy of Action Comics #1, to the effect of "I read it online and the story sucks."  I have no words....

Hey everyone, how are things?

Apparently Burger King is trying to buy Tim Hortons and move to Canada. Huh.

What does the shield mean? You work for Samuel Jackson?

A map to the Multiverse for anybody in here who cares!

I understood the words that were being used, but not really the concept they were trying to convey...

On another board I have begun visiting, someone just commented on a posting about the recent record-setting sale of a copy of Action Comics #1, to the effect of "I read it online and the story sucks."  I have no words....

Clearly not a collector mentality.

• Love 1

Even though Tim Horton's has somewhat curtailed their US expansion, I'd hate to see them bought out.  The donuts are definitely better than DD's since they still bake them in the individual stores, and the sandwiches aren't bad either.

The shield means Lantern is a mod.

Actually, CGC-graded books are apparently sealed in a plastic case, and if you break open the case the certification is no longer valid (just imagine, you pay $3 million for a book, open it up to read it, and the center pages fall off, destroying your investment).

Edited by MarkHB

Hanged Man . . . actually, I would be working for Clark Gregg, which would be a bit of a letdown. But like MarkHB said, I am a moderator. So far, it's been pretty mellow.

I just got disappointed . . . I found out that if I go see the Blue Jays tomorrow night, I'll be missing R.A. Dickey by a day. He's slated for tonight, and I'm can't cross my fingers for rain because of the retractable roof. I know that he's a ways away from his Cy Young season, but he's still one of the most intriguing people in baseball today, even for a knuckleballer like himself. Find and read his book, if you can. It's one heckuva story. At least I can see Jose Reyes, though. I bet they do the "Jose Jose Jose" chant/song in Toronto like they did in New York and (presumably) Miami.

• Love 1

I am trying to figure out how I read "

Apparently Burger King is trying to buy Tim Hortons and move to Canada. Huh.

I am trying to figure out how I read "Burger King" as "Dunkin' Donuts" earlier.  I'm also wondering how this will affect the combination Wendy's / Tim Horton's in South Portland where I got to meet Bobby Orr for their grand opening (they brought in Orr and Dave Thomas for the event).

Good morning. Summer colds suck.

Apparently Burger King is trying to buy Tim Hortons and move to Canada.

Don't know why BK would be trying to move. They already have locations in Canada.

I just got disappointed . . . I found out that if I go see the Blue Jays tomorrow night, I'll be missing R.A. Dickey by a day. He's slated for tonight, and I'm can't cross my fingers for rain because of the retractable roof. I know that he's a ways away from his Cy Young season, but he's still one of the most intriguing people in baseball today, even for a knuckleballer like himself. Find and read his book, if you can. It's one heckuva story. At least I can see Jose Reyes, though. I bet they do the "Jose Jose Jose" chant/song in Toronto like they did in New York and (presumably) Miami.

What did you end up doing, Lantern?

I am trying to figure out how I read "Burger King" as "Dunkin' Donuts" earlier.  I'm also wondering how this will affect the combination Wendy's / Tim Horton's in South Portland where I got to meet Bobby Orr for their grand opening (they brought in Orr and Dave Thomas for the event).

You were fixated on doughnuts?

Tim's does make great sandwiches, however... I'm sorry to have to tell you that the doughnuts are largely flash-frozen.

Well, I'm at Pearson, currently waiting for a shuttle. My mother and me got here okay, and we'll be in Toronto until Monday.

caprice  . . . we're probably going to go tonight. I'm thinking outfield seats for us. At least we would be missing the weekend series against the Yankees, where I would expect fans would make the trip to cheer on the Bombers.

• Love 1

Not yet. All I can say is that TAR will be represented, and that's the only casting spoiler I really know about. Or want to know about. I can send you the information if you'd like.

The cast list is out, and all can say is, THEM??? They're not the least well-suited All Stars team for this game, but they're up there. Plus we have the Russell Hantz of MLB!

Why John Rocker? I don't think Russell was necessarily a racist, which puts him one up on Rocker. Even as a lapsed Mets fan, I still hate his ass. The Twinees, however, I don't mind. Plus there's a three percent chance one of them would try to push the other into elimination. "You heard him, Natalie. The tribe has spoken." "Wait . . . I'm not Natalie! I'm Nadiya! You're Natalie!" "Nuh uh! Go get your torch snuffed!" Cut to Probst, trying to find a wall to bang his head against. Who doesn't root for that?!?

Congrats on being a Moderator Lantern

Don't know why BK would be trying to move. They already have locations in Canada.

Tax reasons.

At least we would be missing the weekend series against the Yankees, where I would expect fans would make the trip to cheer on the Bombers.

They show up everywhere. And most of the time they outnumber the home field fans. It is really really annoying.

Edited by Hanged Man
  • Love 1

So far as the Twinees go, if they're broken onto separate tribes like the last BvW, they won't be screeching at each other the whole time and I'll handle it better.

Meaning... You won't be driven to force knitting needles in your eardrums?

Tax reasons.

They show up everywhere. And most of the time they outnumber the home field fans. It is really really annoying.

"Tax reasons?" I had to file US taxes while I was living up there. They may find it isn't worth it in the long run.

Did visiting Yankee fans join ours in booing you-know-who?

I'm glad Toronto is going well for you... and I thought the see-through money was fun when I was in Canada in June (even though I only got it back in change and immediately left the country).

Waffles in the steam tray!

caprice . . . I don't know who "you-know-who" is. Also: did Canadian currency smell of maple syrup to you?

Here's my third day in Toronto. Enjoy!

ETA: And here's day four.

Lantern, it was more a reference for HM since "you-know-who" was brought up by my team and sent his team to the poorhouse in an ill-conceived contract. However, no, I never noticed money smelling like maple syrup in Canada.

I'm sorry your mother will miss the zoo. It is a challenge to get to, even with a car. Here's hoping she enjoys the Bata Shoe Museum; it's a place I wanted to see, but never did.

• Love 1

I'm at Pearson, on the Wi-Fi. I didn't have as good a trip as I wanted, but I know it could have been a lot worse. I also wound up with fourteen sketches, which you can see here. I reckon that I might be burned out on big cons . . . which kinda sucks, since I have NYCC to think about in October.

BTW, seeing fans wearing "I [heart] BJs" t-shirts .  . . that's hilarious, right?

• Love 1

Hey everyone, how are things? I hope everyone had a great long weekend.

I cut down a tree over the weekend.  And i did a pretty amazing job, if I do say so myself. I only dropped one limb on me, and when I got to the trunk, I weakened it perfectly so that I had time to decide exactly where I wanted it to fall, move everything out of the way and then just push it over. I am very proud of how near flawless it went. Though it took wayyy longer than I thought it would. Chainsaw is 18 inches and the tree was 22 in diameter.

Lantern, it was more a reference for HM since "you-know-who" was brought up by my team and sent his team to the poorhouse in an ill-conceived contract.

The last time I am certain that I saw you-know-who play live was October 22, 2010. Though he was the last person up to bat.

Link to you-know-who at bat for the last time in 2010 and the only video I have ever posted to youtube.

BTW, seeing fans wearing "I [heart] BJs" t-shirts .  . . that's hilarious, right?

Okay, making this even funnier... I just remembered that HM once sent me a screencap of a fan at a Jays' game who had made a poster reading, "I (heart) BJs."

Hey everyone, how are things? I hope everyone had a great long weekend.

I cut down a tree over the weekend.  And i did a pretty amazing job, if I do say so myself. I only dropped one limb on me, and when I got to the trunk, I weakened it perfectly so that I had time to decide exactly where I wanted it to fall, move everything out of the way and then just push it over. I am very proud of how near flawless it went. Though it took wayyy longer than I thought it would. Chainsaw is 18 inches and the tree was 22 in diameter.

The last time I am certain that I saw you-know-who play live was October 22, 2010. Though he was the last person up to bat.

Link to you-know-who at bat for the last time in 2010 and the only video I have ever posted to youtube.

You're just quite proud of yourself in bringing that tree down, aren't you. ;) Wanna tell everyone how long it took you to complete the job?

Oh, I remember that video, and the game. Hehehe.

The moment made that much sweeter by you-know-who making the final out, I am sure.

How are things?  I was off from work last week.  This week I am not.

It was certainly a sweet moment for me.

Things here are good, quiet. I'm still not working but have registered with a couple of temp agencies.

Wanna tell everyone how long it took you to complete the job?

Perfection cannot be rushed. For months Da Vinci famously stood and watched people bustle around trying to find the perfect faces for his "Last Supper." I cut down a tree in much less time.

And frankly since I kind of envisioned dropping the tree on myself and dying, I think a little bit of pride is in order. I did not seriously injure myself, I really did not injure myself in any way other than five scratches on my arm, I did not drop the tree on my house and cause thousands of dollars of damage. And since it would have been my bedroom that the tree would have landed in, a little bit of pride at how smoothly it went might be justified. even if it did take me a while.

• Love 2

I'm uploading my pics from the Bloggie. I think that I lost any/all pics taken at the Rogers Centre. I just can't find the pictures at all. Sadly, I still have the pix from the Aquarium, which wasn't that great. No dolphins, seals or penguins there. Plenty of sharks, though.

ETA: Here are the pictures. I'll get around to labeling them soon. Enjoy.

• Love 1

Coffee's on for anyone who'd like some.

Perfection cannot be rushed. For months Da Vinci famously stood and watched people bustle around trying to find the perfect faces for his "Last Supper." I cut down a tree in much less time.

And frankly since I kind of envisioned dropping the tree on myself and dying, I think a little bit of pride is in order. I did not seriously injure myself, I really did not injure myself in any way other than five scratches on my arm, I did not drop the tree on my house and cause thousands of dollars of damage. And since it would have been my bedroom that the tree would have landed in, a little bit of pride at how smoothly it went might be justified. even if it did take me a while.

"Perfection?" Okay. I'd have gone with your celebrated slacker-ness, but, okay.... Seriously, I am impressed that you did the job by yourself, not to mention very relieved that you didn't die. I hadn't realized that was a potential outcome. Give me a couple hours, and I'll bake you some celebratory brownies. :)

ETA: Here are the pictures. I'll get around to labeling them soon. Enjoy.

Ooh, someone dressed as Cassandra! Very cool!

Actually, dropping a 22" tree is pretty damn slick... I think congratulations and props are definitely in order!  I'm sure I'd be paying to have it done.

I'd have been hiring it out, too. Then again, I tend toward impatience.

Coffee's on for anyone who'd like some.

I'd have been hiring it out, too. Then again, I tend toward impatience.

Coffee would be awesome!

So far as your latter point, I tend toward not dropping large trees on either my edifice or my capitis.

(Yes, I know what I did wrong there... I claim poetic license.)

• Love 1