Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: The Wrong Thing to Do

Seeing that Andy is unprepared for his upcoming job interviews, Jules agrees to coach him through it. Ellie needs a place to escape since Andy is home all the time, so she goes to Bobby's boat, only to find that Grayson beat her to it. Meanwhile, Travis and Laurie encourage Tom to date ... with disastrous results.

I laughed a bit, but this really had the feel of playing out the string. There's nothing in the five seasons we've seen Ellie that would make anyone think she'd willingly go back to work, and more than enough evidence that Andy is a) good at his job and b) likes his job and being the breadwinner for the family. I've seen nothing that would make me think for a second he'd like to be a stay-at-home dad, and Stan's old enough for kindergarten, which changes the whole dynamic of stay-at-home parenting. Him losing his job last week didn't make a lot of sense, either -- the only think I can imagine is that these things are being put in place to break up the cul-de-sac crew by having Ellie have to move away so we can have the poignant goodbye scene we didn't get with Bobby. It's the only thing that makes sense to me in this.

Likewise, there's nothing in the previous four years that would make anyone think that Tom was considered hot property at the hospital, nor anything that would really justify either Laurie's or Jules emotional support of him, nor would Laurie - the queen of cheap and easy hookups before mommy hood -- think Tom's behavior was a bad thing. The only thing that would have been funny was if she returned to her pre-baby, un-neutered state and been hot for him (speaking of this, are she and Travis married? Living together? in true love? It's hard to tell, and given her history of sabotaging herself, it's hard to see her just blandly hanging out doing nothing but being another mom on the corner). 

And they sank the boat. The metaphor is strong. 

Ellie has stated that she wanted to go back to work at some point, it seems very unlike her to be okay with having to because Andy didn't want to work however. I think she's grown more than happy as a stay at home drinking wine kind of mom.

Loved her and Grayson, that was absolute gold.

"Look at me! I'm the captain now."

Yeah, I definitely remember there being talk a time or two about Ellie going back to work, now that Stan is a bit older.  Including last season when she went lawyer on the owner of Dog Travis's puppies.

• Love 1

I really liked this one.   Well, the Ellie/Grayson and Jules/Andy stuff anyway.  I didn't really care for the Tom story and agree that Laurie's attitude seemed strange.  Other than that, it seemed more like earlier seasons of the show which I thought were much better than it's been lately. 

I think a big part of my enjoyment was because the episode wasn't focused on Travis/Laurie, which just makes me cringe most of the time.  He looks like a young kid compared to her, which makes the whole thing seem super-icky... not even factoring in the whole mother's friend, knew him as a kid, white trash background, etc.

I could see how Ellie would enjoy being a lawyer and arguing cases.  She's pretty much born for that.

ETA: The makeup in the teaser was both creepy and hilarious.  I also really liked the Andy's reaction to job interview questions and the whole "need air" thing with him and Jules.  And, well, just everything about that storyline worked for me.  Ellie and Grayson fighting over the boat was gold, too.

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 1

I'm so glad there are only six episodes left. This show is just painful to watch now: the Travis/Laurie abomination; creepy Tom (What was that crap about the whole cul de sac crew loving him? They treat him like shit.); the loss of Bobby; Ellie's no-longer-funny bitch-in-residence schtick.

What made them think Tom could take Bobby's place? The only thing I liked about his story line was him not being a sad sack loser for once.

An okay-ish episode, but definitely much better than the previous ones this season. Looking forward to seeing Ellie get back into the workforce as a lawyer. 

Edited by Tony

ETA: The makeup in the teaser was both creepy and hilarious. 

Ellie and Grayson fighting over the boat was gold, too.

Their makeup freaked me the fuck out. I could handle a woman (especially my SO) made up like the clown from It better than I could deal with over done regular makeup. BTW, once on Friends, for some reason Ross put Rachel's makeup on for her with similar results so it wasn't exactly original writing. However, I did have the same reaction.

At first I thought Ellie was going to send Andy to live on Bobby's boat since he misses Bobby so much. Still a good storyline.

Edited by Lone Wolf