Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Run

thewhiteowl

I re-watched this episode to see if I would "get it." I realized I had a few contradictory reactions to the ep.

I liked Kerry Washington's performance, so much so that I found Olivia's actions and reactions fairly believable (when I wasn't questioning the logic of the entire situation. Yeah, I know)

I enjoyed the direction of the episode. It was something different, which intrigued me. Also, I'm a big Tom Verica fangirl, so there's that.

With all that said, I still don't get the point of the episode. The kidnappers needed Olivia to confirm her importance to the POTUS? So, they orchestrate the most convoluted plan to achieve that? This is where Shonda Rhimes frustrates me. I think it was a waste to spend an entire episode just so Ian could say "He loves you. He'll never stop looking for you."

We get it, Shonda. Olitz are twu wuv. You've beaten us over the head with it for four seasons. I still hate them and will continue to do so.

• Love 5

The whole thing is stupid because the president doesn't even have the authority to declare war.  He can tell Congress he wants to go to war, but they have to vote and approve it for it to be official.  Now the President can certainly send troops anywhere he wants, but in that promo Olivia is saying that the demand is an actual declaration of war, which Fitz can't do himself. You'd think the VP and the head of the Republican party would know a little about the Constitution.  Or at least  that the writers of a political-based show would.

I went back to watch the mid-season finale to see if who was behind Olivia's kidnapping was supposed to be a mystery (its not).  I think what is going on here it that the staged assassination attempt on the VP got Congress and the whole country demanding retribution and Fitz is the only one trying to hold back on an all out war in West Angola.  So Fitz just getting out of the way and doing one speech in favor of what everyone is clamoring that he should be doing, because of the threat to Olivia, would be enough to get that rolling.

My frustration with this episode is that I think the point of it was for Olivia to be "broken" by the end to justify some TBD future action.  I don't think they earned the last shot of Olivia brokenly going back to her cell.  They either needed something more devastating, than 'your captor fooled you'.  Or they needed to draw it out longer, over more episodes, and let Olivia make all the smart moves and that not be enough to save herself and eventually give up.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1

I think I'd be even worse than Olivia at making jam because when Abby asked about an oven, I thought, "Why would you need an oven to make jam? It's just fruit! It's cold!"

You don't need an oven, although you do need a stove.

I cannot hear "I choose me" without thinking of Beverly Hills 90210.

Well, we know that Shonda Rhimes knows nothing about making jam either. Or Abby would have asked about turning on a stove.

And whenever I hear, "I choose me," I think about Meredith Grey saying, "Pick Me. Choose me. Love me."  Although those seem to be Jake's lines these days. (And Fitz's?) 

I actually liked the episode, and I haven't enjoyed Scandal in a long time.  But my expectations are wayyyy down for this show. I've given up trying to figure out what happened to the show I used to love. I've given up trying to figure out why Olivia Pope, a smart and independent woman, loves two men that are horrible for her. I could understand (a little) if she still loved Fitz but used Jake for sex. But she loves Jake too?    I just don't get it---why does she have to be emotionally dependent on both of them? this seems to be the complete opposite of Olivia's personality.

Edited by topanga
  • Love 3