Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: Sins of the Past

PinkRibbons

NOTE: Reign airs on Wednesdays in Canada, meaning that the episodes are very often viewed a day before they have aired in the US. Therefore please be aware that this thread will almost definitely have spoilers for those who wish to wait until Thursday night to view the new episode.

England's revenge plans against France are disclosed to Francis and Mary. Meanwhile, Bash searches for an "undead" man observed in the village and finds a mysterious woman in white along the way; and Catherine uncovers the reason for her hallucinations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tex0SUjZlNI

Episode Clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HQrxN1RSPw

So much Narcisse!! Finally! Bored with the Brothers Navarre who ate up way too much screen time, and Mary and Francis who are also deathly dull. Heartless Lola and Kenna party planning with not so much of a mention of Greer who is probably scrubbing toilets somewhere.

I completely forgot about Greer! Now I feel ashamed of myself, and that was heartless of those two.

So...who's else is guessing Marcus of Navarre was hit by friendly fire and Bash is gonna try to keep the painful truth from his brothers? I mean, if Bash killed Marcus I don't particularly care, but this show is always about things not being what they seemed. Speaking of which, I wonder what happened to Diane's body.

Up until now I've been okay with the slow burn of Mary's recovery and her and Francis's marriage being mended slow step by slow step. But I felt like this episode has finally made the "never mind this can't work" statement one too many times. The writers need to stop going two steps forward, three steps back already. The repetition is getting boring. If this actually does get Francis in bed with another woman I will be disgusted, because it would seem out of character for him; he has the patience of a saint and I don't think will take Mary's words to heart. Although I liked how Francis seemed to feel incredibly betrayed by this idea. I honestly don't think there's really anything that can keep this couple apart; even Olivia redux if it comes to that. Maybe the writers are being ordered by the network to keep putting obstacles in the couples' path, but it's working about as well as every other time they've done that, which is not. Mary and Francis are the rare couple that is actually more interesting in a loving relationship rather than constant angst, at least to me.

On a lighter note I loved the scene with Catherine and the syphilis scare. In one shot Adelaide Kane is staring at the ceiling and I personally have only ever seen that when someone was trying their utmost not to laugh. I'll bet the outtakes from that scene are hysterical!

• Love 2

I really love how Kane played Mary's reaction when Elizabeth funding Navarre was mentioned.  She could have gone completely over the top but she didn't.  The subtlety of her eyes widening and jaw going slack really brought home her horror at finding this out.  She was 100% terrified at what Elizabeth could do if she had troops stationed in Navarre.

I also think that the Threat of Elizabeth is one thing the show has done really well.  I actually wish they'd dump some of this needless relationship drama in favor of said threat but I do love the collective "Oh, Shit!" reactions when her growing power comes up.  I have no idea if the show will actually cast her and contrive to have the two women meet but they've done such a good job at laying the foundation for such an opportunity with these few scenes that I really hope they decide to go for it. 

• Love 2
So...who's else is guessing Marcus of Navarre was hit by friendly fire and Bash is gonna try to keep the painful truth from his brothers? I mean, if Bash killed Marcus I don't particularly care, but this show is always about things not being what they seemed. Speaking of which, I wonder what happened to Diane's body.

Up until now I've been okay with the slow burn of Mary's recovery and her and Francis's marriage being mended slow step by slow step. But I felt like this episode has finally made the "never mind this can't work" statement one too many times. The writers need to stop going two steps forward, three steps back already. The repetition is getting boring. If this actually does get Francis in bed with another woman I will be disgusted, because it would seem out of character for him; he has the patience of a saint and I don't think will take Mary's words to heart. Although I liked how Francis seemed to feel incredibly betrayed by this idea. I honestly don't think there's really anything that can keep this couple apart; even Olivia redux if it comes to that. Maybe the writers are being ordered by the network to keep putting obstacles in the couples' path, but it's working about as well as every other time they've done that, which is not. Mary and Francis are the rare couple that is actually more interesting in a loving relationship rather than constant angst, at least to me.

I thought Mary was trying protect Francis from the fact that she's going to be hunted all her life because they fear her claim on the English throne. She believes she's saving Francis from a lifetime of torment by pushing him away. It seems similar to what he did earlier in the season when he didn't want Mary to find out that he killed his father. If she also feels like she'll never (at this point) recover and want to be with him sexually, and she loves him, she must feel like "releasing" him is being kind.

I get that it isn't what he wants, but I don't feel Mary's decision is selfish. Quite the contrary -- if she didn't love Francis, she'd keep shutting him out, not caring he had no one to love him physically or that her presence might endanger him and the country. But she does care.

I felt so much for Mary in that final scene -- she's making a decision she thinks is best for the people she loves. I can't be mad at her just because Francis is constantly swearing eternal devotion with puppy dog eyes. Eternal devotion won't keep Mary's monsters (real and imagined) at bay. I don't even like Conde, but Francis' all-consuming love must be exhausting at times.