Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Return of the Kane

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Logan forces Duncan to run for Class President in order to protect the 09rs "Pirate Points" or Class Warfare is fun!

I liked how Veronica figured out the voting scheme, and how when Duncan ended up winning he turned out to be a decent president. Who knew! Perhaps he'll turn from a puppet to a Real Boy someday! (Spoiler, I'm not a fan of Duncan)

Agreed that it was a nice twist that Duncan ended up being a good president, and probably a lot better then Wanda would have been! I always felt a little bad for Duncan - I don't know if it was the actor or how they wanted him portrayed (probably a combo) that made him seem so out of it and drugged up. Especially since I saw the actor in a Gilmore Girls episode the season before, when he was apparently supposed to be the Logan 1.0, and he didn't seem that way then.

• Love 1

Yeah, Wanda would have ended up being the worst I think. Too much anger there (not that it was undeserved though!) and not enough creativity in how to get what she wanted. I feel bad for Duncan also. I guess we're supposed to?

Yeah, it's a nice move to have Wanda be the resume-padder and Duncan the one forced into it who at least seems to come off good. Duncan's pretty boring at this point, but, well, he's on antidepressants now right?

The stuff with Logan was a little weird, though; I guess the he's-awful to oh-his-dad-is-awful-too deal is fine, but it's a little much. Liked the forcing his dad to give away $500k though.

Snarlyface (vice-?)principal man is great.

Loved "I'm lying, you know I'm lying" with Veronica and her dad at the end.

Also, second episode in a row that's all DRUGS ARE BAD. That's cool.

• Love 1

I noticed that they used Harry Hamlin's real life wife in the episode, which was a nice touch.  Amazing how different he looks here compared to Mad Men.  Another example where bad parents make bad kids.  I mean really, what's 500k when they guy was going to make 8 figures for the next movie.

So does seem obvious to me that Troy had to be just a short term thing, since eventually they are going to bring Veronica and Duncan back together.  AT least, it seems that way to me.  Definitely working the Duncan redemption.

Oh, oh, maybe they don't get together....after seeing the next episode.

Edited by Hanahope

Not sure if anyone is still here but I restarted by VM binge watching this weekend, after coming home from getting a root canal and realizing I needed some comfort TV.  There is something about Veronica and the Gang that makes it all right.

I had a couple of questions/thoughts on this episode:

1. What does Logan do to earn Pirate Points? Or is he just surrounded by enough point-earners that he benefits from their privilege?

2.  I'm not sure how far-reaching the writing is but could Duncan's lack of enthusiasm come from

Spoiler

his knowing that his dad may be Veronica's father?

3. Is it weird that no one else (student, parent, or faculty) suggested that Pirate Points be given to kids on the honor roll?  I get that extending it to yearbook/newspaper kids and vocational students is a new idea but only for sports and student council seems too short sighted even for administration?

4. I get that Aaron's beating of Logan was due to the public embarrassment, but wouldn't someone like Aaron be all about these high-profile public charitable deductions?

I know I'm supposed to hate Jake, but I found his interaction with Duncan so charming.  Anyone else get the vibe that Duncan was about to spill the beans about

Spoiler

Veronica's paternity to Jake and then backed off?

• Love 1
On 11/7/2016 at 9:57 AM, CurlyATX said:

I had a couple of questions/thoughts on this episode:

4. I get that Aaron's beating of Logan was due to the public embarrassment, but wouldn't someone like Aaron be all about these high-profile public charitable deductions?

Reveal hidden contents

Aaron was all about control, to start with. Logan had challenged that.

Further Aaron was all about money. While he might give away $50K to look good, there was no way he wanted to give away that kind of money.

Edited by Syme
On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 9:57 AM, CurlyATX said:

1. What does Logan do to earn Pirate Points? Or is he just surrounded by enough point-earners that he benefits from their privilege?

Reveal hidden contents

Veronica's paternity to Jake and then backed off?

I get the impression that the system is corrupt :-) I know it is a shock.

It wasn't necessarily the money, it was the control.

Spoiler

I think this was the last time Aaron beats Logan and Logan continues to confront him, including the boots that he donates with the starts on them, and that this eventually (as she says) is what causes Lynn to kill herself. Logan is changing the status quo of the family. I was always pissed this wasn't addressed.