Type keyword(s) to search

Drunk History UK

I guess just a general thread will do for talking about the UK version of the show, for now at least? It starts tonight, and my hopes for it aren't very high (I'm not a fan of many of the announced comedians), but I'll definitely give it a shot.

• Love 1

Watched the first episode; it's a bit of a mixed bag. The first segment, with Rob Beckett on Henry VIII and Anne of Cleaves was pretty bad, and it felt like Beckett was trying far too hard. The second part, with Kerry Howard on Queen Victoria's sex drive was definitely better, if not great. Rebecca Front as Victoria in the recreations was good though.

The last few minutes of the episode are a short segment, which is animated rather than recreated by actors. It was James Acaster on the plague in Scotland, and it was okay.

There's also narration between segments by Jimmy Carr, and it feels completely unneccessary, and not funny at all.

Also interesting that Derek Waters and Jeremy Konner aren't credited at all, except in an obligatory block of text that goes by very quickly stating that the show is based on a series and web series they created. I thought they might at least get a "consultant" credit or somesuch.

• Love 1

I found the Henry VIII part bloody hilarious; myself, Mr Stormm & my 19yr old daughter, we were all laughing our heads off, I had tears of laughter at the part where the bloke is pretending to tell Henry that Anne of Cleves is a munter and fakes vomiting. The Queen Victoria story was amusing in places and The Plague one; none of us found very funny. 

Looking forward to episode 2!

• Love 2

I thought the second episode was an improvement. Andrew Maxwell on Burke & Hare was a lot of fun, even if he didn't seem all that drunk (or didn't seem much drunker than he usually does anyway).

I do like that not having to deal with the US censors means they don't need to bleep out the swears.

• Love 1

We must have an opposite sense of humour because I found the second episode less funny than the first. I was a little bored by the end of it, however, the drunken-ness itself was somewhat amusing. I agree it wouldn't be the same if the swearing was bleeped out. 

• Love 1

Youtube killed the channel above that showed the first DHUK and I can't imagine Comedy Central US showing it ever, even bleeped, so my guess is you're on your own.

If it's typical, new copies will pop up sooner or later.  What varies with the various media companies is how aggressively they go after them (it's not really YouTube "killing" things, it's the rights-holders and how hard they look).

• Love 1

I'm in the first segment of episode 1 and I'm laughing my ass off. I really like that they can swear. Maybe it's because of the accent. I already notice the narration style is a little different.

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1
There are 64 listings of Charles as a character in different shows and movies on the IMDB, but the three on the UK series of Drunk History are not included. 

Weirdly, the UK series doesn't have an IMDb page yet, as far as I can see.

• Love 1

That makes sense.  He did a lot of misbegetting.  The Dukes of St.Albans (by Nell Gwynn), Buccleuh (by Lucy Walter), Grafton (by Barbara Villiers) and Richmond (by Louise de Keroualle) are all descendants of his, and because one of those families connected with the Spencers at some point, Prince William will be the first descendent of Charles II to become king.  King Ecbert of the Vikings series was also an ancestor.   

Interesting, I never knew that!

Tangentially related: my paternal grandparents knew The 9th Duke of Buccleuch and were regularly invited for functions at Boughton House, the Buccleuch estate in Northamptonshire which they lived close to.

• Love 1

I'm not looking forward to watching the Geordies. 

Yeah, that one was a bit of a waste.

Joe Lycett this week was another case of the comedian trying too hard to be funny. I'm looking forward to Josie Long on next week's episode though, especially as Olivia Colman is in it.

One thing about the UK episodes, is that I actually believe they're drunk.  I was suspicious that it was fake from early on in the US.   I'm watching the Dickie Three part of the fourth episode again.  I like Tom Rosenthal, from Friday Night Dinner and Plebs.   Vicki Pattison did okay in the Byron/Shelley part. 

I'm usually more interested in the performances of the characters, than in the drunk person.   Mathew Baynton has been Byron and Eddie Eight so far.    It looks like Catherine Tate is in the fifth episode as well as in the Scott Antarctic one