Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E14: Heart of Stone

This is one of those episodes where I felt the B story outperformed the A story.  I liked watching Nog work so hard to prove how much he wanted to be in Starfleet and Sisko giving him a taste of what he would face if he did.  As for the A plot, the twist ending was ok but I was never a fan of mopey, lovestruck Odo and I felt bad for Nana having to act with that lame crystal prop.

• Love 2

I never really got the Kira/Odo pairing. OK, I can maybe see it from his side because Nana Visitor is hot (presumably even a blob of protoplasmic goop - or whatever technobabbly description they give of the Shapeshifter true form - is entitled to think so too) but for her? And now I need to bleach my brain because the perverted power potential of shapeshifting is providing me with many, many possible reasons.

But the more PG query is why  did the Founders keep Kira alive at all? If she's (in their view) holding him back, then kill her - the Founders are certainly ruthless enough. And as for the OOC problems that "she has a contract" (assuming NV had a sufficiently iron clad contract) - well, they could have a shapeshifter pose as Kira for a while if they need to keep her involved. Then there's always the possibility of long lost clones or alternate universe duplicates to turn up.

• Love 1

This is one of those episodes where I felt the B story outperformed the A story. I liked watching Nog work so hard to prove how much he wanted to be in Starfleet and Sisko giving him a taste of what he would face if he did. As for the A plot, the twist ending was ok but I was never a fan of mopey, lovestruck Odo and I felt bad for Nana having to act with that lame crystal prop.

I tend to skip the boring A-plot and just watch the B-plot.

But the more PG query is why did the Founders keep Kira alive at all? If she's (in their view) holding him back, then kill her - the Founders are certainly ruthless enough. And as for the OOC problems that "she has a contract" (assuming NV had a sufficiently iron clad contract) - well, they could have a shapeshifter pose as Kira for a while if they need to keep her involved. Then there's always the possibility of long lost clones or alternate universe duplicates to turn up.

Well, spending several episodes with her only to find out that she's been replaced, and that the real one died a while ago would rightfully piss off fans. Still, she was even in a nice little stasis pod. Lol. Why not have her have escaped and looking for Odo. Imagine something like...

Odo: Where is Kira?

Changeling: She escaped. I'm sure she's long gone by now.

Odo: She wouldn't leave me.

Changeling: She's a solid. She'll never care about you the way we do. Return to us to the Great-

Kira: *runs in* Odo, there you are! I've been looking all over for you.

Nog seemed to indicate that all Ferengi must go into business somehow, yet surely they have other professions. They need pilots for one thing and they also need technicians and engineers and so forth. They have warp capabilities and space ships after all - did they buy them? Someone still had to train them how to fly them. If Rom is so good with technology surely he has value on the Ferengi home world. Whoever has the best technology potentially makes the most profit so his services would be highly sought after and he would get paid for them. 

The ferengi value business, sure they have other fields but they are looked down apron in their society. Nog is saying that his father could have been a great engineer however followed in what their society values as successful, which is business. Rom's skills are valued to other species, however in Ferengar it isn't the quality of the products that matter, it is the deal that goes with them.

1 hour ago, blueray said:

The ferengi value business, sure they have other fields but they are looked down apron in their society. Nog is saying that his father could have been a great engineer however followed in what their society values as successful, which is business. Rom's skills are valued to other species, however in Ferengar it isn't the quality of the products that matter, it is the deal that goes with them.

Exactly.  The Ferengi weren't originally described as "the Donald Trumps of the galaxy" for nothing.  To them, it's all about "the art of the deal," no matter what the "deal" in question is.  Heck, Trump would be their patron saint.