Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

Well that's Hamilton off the map for a visit then and Edmonton too - at least in the winter.

Am I the only one here who likes Esposito and his cynical attitude to Castle?

I used to enjoy Esposito in the early days when they balanced his natural cynicism with this ability to open Kate's eyes to things with a few home truths and his relationship Castle felt way better balanced too.  There was this obvious protective streak towards Kate which was entirely understandable but I sensed he was also was rooting for them as a couple too in his own way.  

But his attitude now seems to solely consist of snarky put downs towards Castle and constant distrust which bugs me because I don't understand the reasoning behind it but that could be partly because of how Castle is being portrayed too which makes it worse.  It doesn't help that his instant suspicion of Castle during the first two episodes when he disappeared came over as ridiculous and I thought hurt the character. It's a predictable pattern that every time something happens Espo is sarcastic and/or doubts him, the character feels stuck in a rut as if that's the writers go to reaction for anything Castle/Espo related.  

I'd like less scenes of him throwing out some sarcastic barbs at Castle with no come back and rather have them concentrate more on Esposito/Ryan and develop their partnership because I've thought they've ignored the boys and their relationship has become more superficially written over time.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 3
Her relationships we have seen have run to other cops (Demming, Sorenson, maybe the older mentor ) as much as non-cops (Rogan, Dr. Josh).

I don't think the idea of Beckett dating another cop is so out there.  I just don't think the Beckett/Esposito interaction really indicates that they had that kind of relationship.  So, it comes off as the actor just trying make his character more important (and I get why he'd want to do that, I'm not criticizing Huertas for that).  And like I've said before, I hate when shows act like any male and female characters who have a connection must have slept together in the past.

I don't actually hate Esposito, but he has been annoying me a lot this season.

• Love 3

Some BTS shots of Nathan on set taken by a fan.

http://nathanourhero.tumblr.com/post/103332407909

http://nathanourhero.tumblr.com/post/103332347144

Esposito gives off this protective almost brotherly vibe in his interactions with Beckett, I never thought there was some sexual history there between them. I presumed he had been teamed up with Beckett a few years before Ryan showed up, which would explain their closeness. This is why I don't like the idea Jon likes to propagate in interviews that they've has a fling or there's some underlying attraction bubbling away there which I can't see at all frankly.

Edited by verdana

I have never seen any underlying attraction on Beckett's part. I am not so sure that they never dated (old style-- like going to a movie or a ball game) and there could be some attraction on Espo's part, which he refuses to acknowledge, since she is his boss. But that could make him grouchy with her real lover(s).

But that could make him grouchy with her real lover(s).

But  I think he's always supportive of Castle and Beckett's relationship when he's talking to Beckett. Back in season 2 he pushed her to break up with Demming and tell Castle how she felt,, and I feel like he was happy when he found out Caskett was together.  He's just sometimes a dick to Castle's face.  I don't think the writers put that much thought into Espo's motivation though, they just think it's funny.

there could be some attraction on Espo's part

Well, Beckett is super gorgeous, so that wouldn't be so unbelievable.

Aaargh. Apparently Nathan appeared at the AMAs tonight, dancing! I got as far as Taylor Swift and wandered off to watch The Liquidator. Then when I switched back it was some British Boy Band. So I decided to list dress patterns on eBay instead.

Then Nathan puts this on his Twitter.

-Mom! I’m dancing at the AMAs!

-Great, hon! What song?

-… little apple.

How long before it hits YouTube?

Aaargh. Apparently Nathan appeared at the AMAs tonight, dancing! I got as far as Taylor Swift and wandered off to watch The Liquidator. Then when I switched back it was some British Boy Band. So I decided to list dress patterns on eBay instead.

Then Nathan puts this on his Twitter.

-Mom! I’m dancing at the AMAs!

-Great, hon! What song?

-… little apple.

How long before it hits YouTube?

Not him dancing but presenting.

Nathan Fillion | 2014 American Music Awards | Red Carpet Arrivals - video

Love the purple tie, I'm never that keen on his suits, sometimes they look okay but too often they seem badly cut or a bit too baggy in the wrong places, there's something about them that doesn't quite work. I know he's a big, tall guy but that shouldn't be an insurmountable issue with the help he's got who are paid to dress him well. 

Nathan Fillion @NathanFillion  ·  7h 7 hours ago
Now I know what roasted roses smell like. #thanksTaylorSwift.

Nathan Fillion @ the 42nd American Music Awards - selection of pictures.

Definitely like the tie but the suit is dull, may be if he buttoned it up it would look better? 

No dancing videos yet on tumblr! 

Edited by verdana
Love the purple tie, I'm never that keen on his suits, sometimes they look okay but too often they seem badly cut or a bit too baggy in the wrong places, there's something about them that doesn't quite work. I know he's a big, tall guy but that shouldn't be an insurmountable issue with the help he's got who are paid to dress him well.

Exactly.  If you can't get the tailoring right, well, that just about wrecks a suit.  I wouldn't be surprised if this was tailored by Luke as usual because there is something off about the tailoring.  His tailormade suits never quite create the sharp silhouette you see with other well suited guys, of all shapes, on the red carpet.  Really wish he would outsource the suit job to a branded menswear designer.  The purple is OK, but I find it to be a bit of a boring combination with that shirt.  Still, he looks more like a millionaire metrosexual in that outfit than Castle does most days, nowadays. ;)

Did Nathan win over a few more boyband fans? Heh. 

David Amann Teases What’s to Come in 2014, and Shaking Things Up in 2015

What can you tease about what’s in store for 2015?
DA: Coming into the second half of the season…Castle starts pursuing work that takes him outside of the 12th precinct.

Mmmm splitting up Castle and Beckett .... don't know if I'm really happy about that but I guess we need more information on what exactly that'll be.

Interesting! Looking at the more overarching mythology you’ve set up with Castle’s disappearance, how long-term are you looking at playing those mysteries?
DA: We will certainly touch it before the end of the season in a relatively significant way. I’m not sure we will entirely resolve everything, but I think Castle will discover answers to questions that he has swirling around about that missing time.

So if they know already, they won't solve everything, does that mean they already know there'll be another season ?

And photos from Bad Santa

Edited by cappuccino

Sad to say that tonight's episode and the plan Amann lays out for upcoming episodes does not excite me. I think the show works best when it's Castle and Beckett focused plots. Not necessarily Caskett relationship stuff, though I do enjoy that, but the two of them working together to solve cases, with their banter, mind melds etc.  Not the B team that is tonight's Esposito show or Castle going off to solve his own mystery. Of course I recognize that I'm jumping to all sorts of conclusions that may or may not happen, but I'm not excited with anticipation. 

• Love 1

When I read that Amann interview, combined with the episode we have tonight focused on Esposito and these episodes that have Castle away from the precinct, if the show gets more seasons beyond this current one, I feel like they're setting us up for a world of less Castle, less Beckett, less of them together or a combo of the three options. Because I strongly suspect more time off/a more flexible working schedule is something they would both ask for to resign for a season eight. And I kinda see tonight's episode as a test run in that direction.

And the thing is I see a lot of fans who want more seasons, but also don't want Castle & Beckett separated much if at all. But the likelihood of having both after this season feels slim. 

Edited by S55
  • Love 1

I couldn't tell from his tweet if the dancing was aired or he was just commenting on the fact he danced during the show.

I read it as the latter. Unless some sly fellow attendee caught him dancing on their iPhone, I doubt we'll see footage of that. lol 

I think the show works best when it's Castle and Beckett focused plots. Not necessarily Caskett relationship stuff, though I do enjoy that, but the two of them working together to solve cases, with their banter, mind melds etc.

Yeah, anytime they have separated Castle and Beckett it hasn't worked out.  But maybe Castle investigating outside the precinct doesn't mean less Caskett interaction, it is hard to tell from Amman's quote.  But I guess this means the cliffhanger at the end of the Christmas episode is something that pushes Castle to investigate? Stana did say it would change things.  I can't think what other than his missing time that would be, but we've also been told that's not going to be revisited until sweeps.  So, I have no idea what this is going to be about.

Nothing in that interview about the future did much for me. 

The mythology.....don't care solve it or don't, teasing me that you'll give up a few more scraps to be going on with at this stage makes no difference. 

As for next year, sounds like (and I agree with S55) they're laying the groundwork for less Castle and Beckett, more ensemble and my guess they're going to have Castle unable to work at the precinct as the cliffhanger which is something that can upset things for a while yet is easily solvable.      

Fans who wanted more seasons will probably get them but the trade off will be the show is going to have to become a different animal in order to accommodate the actors needs moving forward.  This means it's going to change into something many fans aren't going to be that keen on but that's the price they'll have to pay for the show to live on. 

Edited by verdana

I wanna joke that Castle is persuing his serious literature but I rather have Castle be a consultant for the Derrick Storm TV series if it's gonna premier next fall or as a '16 mid season replacement. Having Caskett seperate or less screen time wouldn't be so bad at this stage if tptb had worked on more character development for the supporting characters seasons ago instead of the occasional 1 or 2 eps each season.

Kinda looking forward to seeing how the loft, precinct and other sets are Xmas decorated. Don't really care about Esplaine but I wouldn't be surprised if they get engaged cause apparently tptb want to pair everyone up before the show ends.

As for next year, sounds like (and I agree with S55) they're laying the groundwork for less Castle and Beckett, more ensemble

Everyone was saying this back at the beginning of season 6 too, and that didn't really turn out to be the case.  We had a couple episodes where Espo and Ryan had more to do but the rest was all pretty Castle/Beckett centric.  I do think it's been noticeable that Nathan got more time off, but I don't think it has significantly hurt the show or that it changed the series overall.

• Love 1

It seems strange that Amann would openly declare that our couple will be working apart in the near future. That kind of news portends as much more of an impact on the show ratings than any kind of odd mythology. The audience has waited six years for the couple to marry and solve cases together, but after just three episodes, he implies a big changeover (Castle kicked out of precinct?) is coming which will keep them apart for a period.  Much the same as the DC job arc, this plan makes little sense. IMO. I hope that his comments are an exaggeration.

Edited by VinceW

Having Caskett separate or less screen time wouldn't be so bad at this stage if tptb had worked on more character development for the supporting characters seasons ago instead of the occasional 1 or 2 eps each season.

Agreed. The reason why giving leads on other shows less screen/episode time is they have well-rounded secondary/supporting casts who can carry the load. I don't see that being the case here. Which is why it feels like a risky strategy if that's where it's heading. 

Agreed. The reason why giving leads on other shows less screen/episode time is they have well-rounded secondary/supporting casts who can carry the load. I don't see that being the case here. Which is why it feels like a risky strategy if that's where it's heading. 

That's why I don't think it's going to work if that's the intention. They spent so little time fleshing out the secondary characters and there's no short cutting the process of character development, it takes time and the will power to want to do it. The writers obviously didn't want to go there or were surprised by how strong Castle and Beckett became so they decided not to bother all that much and put all their eggs in one basket. However, I fear that lack of development is going to come back to haunt them if they wish the show to continue for a good while longer.

In order to invest in the characters you need to allow more than one episode a season to focus on their story and then forget about them the rest of the time, it doesn't work that way. That's why I think Castle will never last as long as say Bones or shows like that which have always had a good ensemble cast that fans can be interested in alongside the main players, so if they have decreased screen time it doesn't hurt the show. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I wanna joke that Castle is persuing his serious literature but I rather have Castle be a consultant for the Derrick Storm TV series if it's gonna premier next fall or as a '16 mid season replacement. Having Caskett seperate or less screen time wouldn't be so bad at this stage if tptb had worked on more character development for the supporting characters seasons ago instead of the occasional 1 or 2 eps each season.

I hope it's something like being involved into a Derrick Storm series and him consulting on it, too or he has to do some research for his new book. Not like the Headhunters episode but getting new information on stuff Beckett and the 12th can't provide. That maybe even leads to something new in the mythology (groan).

Seperating them for too long is not a good idea though and handing over more screentime to Espo/Lanie/Ryan --- this is not working for me at all. Next thing we know they have Alexis be a medical examiner all of a sudden and working for the 12th.

• Love 1

…Castle starts pursuing work that takes him outside of the 12th precinct.

No real idea as to what this is about.  I would prefer for it to have something to do with his writing career and obligations, but I suspect it has to do with him investigating the writers' beloved mythology. ;)

I wanna joke that Castle is persuing his serious literature but I rather have Castle be a consultant for the Derrick Storm TV series if it's gonna premier next fall or as a '16 mid season replacement.

More potential for fun there than with the mythology.  I want to joke that Castle is revealed as having pursued a secret career as a romance writer like Jameson Rook, and has to take time off from the 12th because he's behind on his multiple deadlines or super inspired as a newlywed.  Castle pursuing serious literature could also be funny and interesting.  Or he gets another offer for James Bond.  But the writers just don't seem interested in exploring Castle's writing career, which is kind of ironic given their jobs.

And photos from Bad Santa

What made me laugh in these pics is I can just make out that Nathan and Jon are both wearing jackets with the same kind of ugly, unnecessary big chest pockets and ugly, unnecessary detailing at the sleeves.  Sure sign both are tailored by Luke. ;)  Why can't they just wear normal suit jackets without these unnecessary extras?  Beckett's designer jacket not tailored by Luke looks sharp as usual. ;)

I have no love or interest in old action stars but I admit I did laugh at the sight of Castle Rambo! style in the promo with the headband and sleeveless.  At least there will be one funny visual from the episode though I hope Castle isn't made to be too ridiculous.

Edited by madmaverick

vannessavasquez_

21 hours ago

Having a blast with Stana and Jon Huerta on set of Castle!! These two are hilarious!! Love them!

http://instagram.com/p/v2bYhPDpLu/

vannessavasquez_

1 hour ago

Such an honor to work with this incredible cast & crew of the ABC hit TVseries #Castle Season 7. #StanaKatic #JonHuerta #kamarDeLosReyes #Francobarberis #hanelleCulpepper See you soon! #actors #director #blessed

http://instagram.com/p/v4hTfXjpAA/

I was just about to ask about the sneaks. Where are they? Checked on tumblr....nothing. By now they've usually released about two. May be they've forgotten and we will get a late rush of them today or tomorrow.

Edited by verdana

My guess is that because it's a long holiday weekend in the US that you won't see any sneaks until Monday. And by then, it feels pointless to release any IMO. And I don't think we got any before Thanksgiving because it was a short work week, most folks had checked out from working by Wednesday at noon in the US. lol 

Youtube of the 1st sneak peek. KInda amused that Castle pointing at his ring as he's telling the guy his wife's a cop, the big guys on the end dwarf him, and the asian action star kinda looks like MIng Na. That sleeveless outfit makes him look skinnier probably cause he's wearing less layers than usual.

Edited by turnitwayup

Thanks, this looks silly and I sense I'll have had my fill of Castle goofing around by the time the credits roll but I won't say no to seeing a glimpse of those bare arms.  Finally Luke gets something right, not too sure about the Rambo style bandana though. 

That sleeveless outfit makes him look skinnier probably cause he's wearing less layers than usual.

I wonder if that's where a lot of his bulk comes from on this show and why he always looks better not dressed as Castle. Hmm.

When Castle turns to look at and cower from the explosion, it made me think of The Lonely Island song.

Watching that video I remembered Nathan had a "wish list" back in season 6, seems like he's slowly ticking them off and having fun with it.

In fact, the Castle star has at the ready, on his iPhone, a whole list of things he has yet to do as an actor, yet aspires to. Someday.
“Land a plane…. Play my own double…. Hit a detonator button…,” he rattles off from his “to-do” list — in response to a TVLine reader’s question — during my visit to the ABC drama’s set. Continuing on: “Use a dynamite plunger…. Walk away from an explosion, in slow motion…. Defuse a bomb…..” Fillion stops, then reaches his thumb for the backspace button. “Actually, I can scratch that last one off. I did that,” in last season’s Castle episode, “Still.”

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1