Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

After taking a day to move offices from his previous job as co-showrunner of The Following, Hawley, along with Winter and the Castle writing staff, went on a writers retreat where they hashed out a bible for Season 8

This is the part of the interview that caught my eye.  We've talked in the past how it seemed that Marlowe and company would come into a season with a few ideas, but as the weeks went by, we got the impression they were making it up as they went along, then scrambling to wrap things up and create a cliffhanger that didn't always mesh with the earlier stories, much less stay true to the characters.  Don't know if that is actually the case, but it's nice to know that hopefully the new guys have a plan that will maintain the flow and continuity of the season's story arcs. 

• Love 1

Surprised me that she has a producer title/job on the show. 

Not me. I figured a producer credit was something she (& Nathan) were offered to entice them back for another season. Feels pretty SOP on long-running TV shows to me. 

• Love 1

Here are more clues about Season 8. “Part of the exciting thing about this season is the way Alexi and Terence have envisioned the cosmic version of why the two characters (Castle and Beckett) have come together, how did these roads combine. It delves into the mythology of Rick’s disappearance and memory loss as well as into what inspired Beckett to become a cop in the first place.”

Did they realize how bad Sleeper was and are trying to make up for that? I'm not sure anyone really wants to rehash it some more. So with a s8 bible, I hope the season is more balanced with character development.

• Love 1
Surprised me that she has a producer title/job on the show.

Not me. As was said, it is a perk usually reserved for long-running shows. Emily Deschanel and David Boreanaz also have producer credits on Bones.

From what I gather, that title offers more input, as well, for the actors vis a vis their characters.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm just bringing over some speculation based on what Stana said in her recent interview:

“Part of the exciting thing about this season is the way Alexi and Terence have envisioned the cosmic version of why the two characters (Castle and Beckett) have come together, how did these roads combine. It delves into the mythology of Rick’s disappearance and memory loss as well as into what inspired Beckett to become a cop in the first place.”

I think the cosmic version of them coming together could be interesting, if done right. They sort of touched on it in the finale when Beckett said they were who they were because of how they reacted to guys like the serial killer, not because of what he did.  And I always thought it was interesting that the worst thing in Beckett's life (her mom's death) is what ultimately led her to Castle, who she described as the best thing to ever happen to her.  It would be interesting to see them talk about that onscreen.  But did she really need to use the word "mythology"?

Each reflects Castle and Beckett’s perspective on “an event that shifts the entire season into a higher velocity” and “is part of what will set everything up for the next 20 episodes.”

That really makes it sound like we are getting some kind of reboot.  More than just Beckett being captain.  If it was just going to be 20 episodes of regular COTW there wouldn't be an need for shifting things, right?  Hopefully it's not actually a break up.  And I don't see how the show would work if that's the case.  But I really can't think of what they're planning.

Edited by KaveDweller

Is it just me or did it seem like Stana's PR's fingerprints were all over that Deadline article?  Nothing wrong with that of course and that's why actors have publicists, but it felt like Stana was trying to put her version of the story out there to obliquely address the drama that no doubt she was aware of, and obviously wanted to highlight certain stuff in her career to perk the interest of those in the industry.  Timing, content is no accident.  I don't recall either actor doing an interview with Deadline about Castle specifically.  Seems like with her wedding PR and now this piece, Stana's taking a more proactive approach with her publicity.

Behind the scenes, things weren’t as dramatic, Katic says. “For me it wasn’t necessarily down to the wire,” she says. “I didn’t really start speaking about that until after we had wrapped the (7th) season. A lot of the discussions were happening while I was filming The Rendezvous, so I let my reps handle. It went rather quickly in the end.”

I definitely don't think things were as dramatic as drama queens in the fandom made it out to be based on basically zero confirmed information, but honestly I am questioning whether negotiations really began in earnest after they wrapped the season.  That sounds late to me.  I don't believe she was ever going to walk away but made to come back as some fans believe; I think she was going to do another season but negotiated the nitty gritty till she was happy with what she got.  Maybe I'm more cynical, but I think the decision to re-sign on a show like Castle is always going to be more business driven than any artistic concerns.

Katic called Episodes 1 and 2 of Season 8 “brother and sister.” Each reflects Castle and Beckett’s perspective on “an event that shifts the entire season into a higher velocity” and “is part of what will set everything up for the next 20 episodes.”

As long as Castle and Beckett don't act like brother and sister... ;)  Will be interesting to see if this event is the first real test of their marriage by putting them at odds with each other.

Cosmic, huh?  Waits for the wild theories that baby Cosmo is back! :P

It delves into the mythology of Rick’s disappearance and memory loss as well as into what inspired Beckett to become a cop in the first place.

Gasp. Stana mentions mythology! :P  Delving into the things she mentions here is one avenue for storyline, but at the same time I feel like we've already done both. They really need to bring something new to the table to make it compelling for me.  I mean, wasn't delving into what made Beckett become a cop the main theme of the first few seasons?  Unless they look at it from the 'making a difference' as a homicide detective vs a captain angle.  Similarly, they delved into Rick's disappearance and memory loss with Sleeper.  There is room to go further there, but they really need to vastly improve on how they handled that as a season long arc last season and the actual content of the mythology.

Will Season 8 be Katic’s last on Castle? It is too early to discuss that, according to Katic.

Naturally. ;)  Expect both actors to play coy for months ahead.  Hopefully we can be spared from fandom drama for a few months yet over whether it's the last season or not, whether they'll re-sign or not, but I doubt it.

So Stana has wrapped on SC already and is back full time on Castle.  So much drama over what, a missed week or so, of filming one episode?  Oh, fans!

Not surprised about the producer credit either, and not sure it means much both in terms of the show or in terms of their career.  Does having gotten a producer credit make it more likely to get you one on your next show if you're a lead?  Does the title get you more money?  No idea.  

Producer credits for actors usually just mean more money....very rarely input or control over SLs. I could be wrong but it's a fairly standard negotiation sweetener at this stage of a shows life for lead actors!!

I do think there is character input. Maybe not loads, but some. Once DB became a producer on Bones, it is rumored that he didn't like Booth hanging at the lab, so that really whittled down. Maybe the credit just coincided there, but maybe not.

ETA: Thank you, Castle forum, for giving me my 5,000th post. Yes, I'm a big dork.

• Love 2

I think there is character input, but how far the showrunners are obliged to take that on board I don't know.  Marlowe might have been more of a boss over the actors even if they also were probably asked for their input during the time he was in charge.  With new showrunners at the helm, and actors getting a bit of a promotion, the power balance could shift a bit.   But I mean, say the decision to give Beckett an ex husband and abort her wedding was made for the end of this season, would Stana as a producer really have the power to pull the plug on it if she thought it was out of character for Beckett?

(edited)

Congrats Wendy.

Go Stana! Producer credit, she negotiated well, they must have wanted her pretty bad, that means more dosh but how much influence that's the interesting bit. Fillion must have it too of course. Hey how about directing next? 

Gasp. Stana mentions mythology! :P  Delving into the things she mentions here is one avenue for storyline, but at the same time I feel like we've already done both. They really need to bring something new to the table to make it compelling for me.

I feel the same way, a case of been there done that, it's like they've dredged everything up they can on Beckett's reasons for becoming a cop and as for the mythology lets leave it shall we at him not being on vacation just saving the world.  

we got the impression they were making it up as they went along, then scrambling to wrap things up and create a cliffhanger that didn't always mesh with the earlier stories, much less stay true to the characters.  Don't know if that is actually the case, but it's nice to know that hopefully the new guys have a plan that will maintain the flow and continuity of the season's story arcs.

They did a bible finally? Wow. Lets hope that keeps them on better track than previous seasons. Hawley I tip my hat to you.  I'm certainly one of those that felt they're planning was of the "oh shit that didn't work lets throw something else up at the wall and see if it sticks" variety. 

Edited by verdana
an event that shifts the entire season into a higher velocity

It's nothing to do with Stana, but after all we've gone through with Marlowe, these sorts of descriptions don't exactly fill me with anticipation.  The new team looks ambitious to do bigger stories, bigger arcs.  Let's hope they do them better than Marlowe/Amann did.  Any kind of conspiracy on the scale of involving a would be President or heck, world wide conspiracy to take over the U.S. with some linchpin (ugh), is not going to excite me.

Castle and Beckett have seen eye to eye for so long (OK, maybe not every one of Castle's wild theories but Beckett's definitely come around to a lot), and I don't see a huge difference in their values or even approach anymore, so it will be interesting to see if this split in perspectives (and conclusion?) feels forced or organic.

And I always thought it was interesting that the worst thing in Beckett's life (her mom's death) is what ultimately led her to Castle, who she described as the best thing to ever happen to her.

I've wondered whether a Beckett who didn't experience the tragedy of her mom's death would still be attracted to someone like Castle.  Or prefer someone like Josh.  Noooooo....  I enjoyed the AU last season which explored Caskett if they hadn't met earlier and they lived sad lives, and would enjoy an exploration of Beckett's life untouched by tragedy, but they probably won't do another AU again. 

(edited)
some of the most interesting episodes for my character were penned by Alexi — and while they are eager to shake things up and aim at telling challenging stories, they would also protect the integrity of the character.”

Lets hope he does a better job protecting the integrity of her character than Marlowe did in latter seasons, I think she said that for a reason, I doubt she was that overjoyed with some of the stories she had to wade through and promote towards the end of MilMar's tenure.  I agree madmaverick about the timing and PR angle for Katic.  

Naturally. ;)  Expect both actors to play coy for months ahead.  Hopefully we can be spared from fandom drama for a few months yet over whether it's the last season or not, whether they'll re-sign or not, but I doubt it.

Yeah the fandom drama can wait closer to the end of season but I doubt they'll sign on again but I guess it depends how desperate ABC are at that point and how the ratings hold up. 

Edited by verdana
(edited)
Yeah the fandom drama can wait closer to the end of season but I doubt they'll sign on again but I guess it depends how desperate ABC are at that point and how the ratings hold up.

And also what options they have available to them out there.  But they could be at a point after next season where they just want to try something new after 8 years, whatever it is.

Go Stana! Producer credit, she negotiated well, they must have wanted her pretty bad, that means more dosh but how much influence that's the interesting bit. Fillion must have it too of course. Hey how about directing next?

I think Stana once mentioned that she was interested in directing, but not directing Castle.  That could change though.  Jon has expressed interest in directing Castle.  I don't know if there's any hierarchy where you have to let an actor/producer direct first before others can, or not.  If they're trying to save budget, maybe it'll cost less to let Stana and Jon direct?

I don't know of course, but my feeling is that the producer credit wasn't a big sticking point in either Nathan or Stana's negotiations.  Probably it was something ABC offered upfront.  Closest thing to Castle is Bones, and the leads there have producer credit so perhaps it was expected also here.

And so the drama erupted already.  Ah, fandom never changes.  It's hilarious and absurd that even a producer credit can ignite drama.  Lol at a comment that Stana was now Nathan's boss, so take that!  These super dramatic people really need to chill and understand what they're talking about before they talk about anything. ;)

Edited by madmaverick
(edited)

Mythology Stana really? Bad girl go and stand in the corner until recess. 

What she's saying is confirmation that one episode is from Castle’s POV and then the other is from Beckett’s as was suggested here and elsewhere. Sounds intriguing. 

That really makes it sound like we are getting some kind of reboot.  More than just Beckett being captain.  If it was just going to be 20 episodes of regular COTW there wouldn't be an need for shifting things, right?  Hopefully it's not actually a break up.  And I don't see how the show would work if that's the case.  But I really can't think of what they're planning.

Yeah she makes it sound significant but then they have a habit of dropping supposedly major story arcs and never referring to them for months on end - the Castle disappearance springs immediately to mind that was spoken of at the start of S7 like it was going to be a big deal, we would learn many fascinating things about Castle along the way and what did we get? Not much. Also, have they really planned that far ahead already? Things can change and decisions taken can be shelved.  I'm not too concerned yet but I must admit I don't necessarily like some of the wording used in that it sounds suspiciously like the kind of things Marlowe used to think excited the fans which turned out to be anything but enthralling.

As for any break up that can't last for twenty odd episodes it can barely manage two and they'll have to start winding it up, the show is dead in the water if that happens. 

The new team looks ambitious to do bigger stories, bigger arcs.

Ambition is a good thing to have in life but bigger doesn't necessarily mean better, I don't necessarily need grand dramatic stories to excite me, as long as the writing is up to scratch and captures my imagination that's the important thing. Some of the most enjoyable episodes and revealing character moments on the show have often come from ordinary cases they investigated and situations they got into. 

I hope the new intake realise they're on Castle not CSI or some other similar kind of cop show. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1
(edited)

Still not convinced that either actor will be directing an episode of Castle any time soon but if I had to pick one of them it would be Stana but Nathan doesn't seem remotely interested on that front. 

Jon has expressed interest in directing Castle.

Oh, in that case I'm looking forward to a Becksposito focused episode.....heh. 

But they could be at a point after next season where they just want to try something new after 8 years, whatever it is.

Yeah sometimes it's that simple, there comes a point where you want to move on and eight years is a long time in one job, some fans tend to forget that.

As long as Castle and Beckett don't act like brother and sister... ;)

Jesus Christ no lol, that's not the kind of shake up between them I want.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1
(edited)

Is it just me or did it seem like Stana's PR's fingerprints were all over that Deadline article?  Nothing wrong with that of course and that's why actors have publicists, but it felt like Stana was trying to put her version of the story out there to obliquely address the drama that no doubt she was aware of, and obviously wanted to highlight certain stuff in her career to perk the interest of those in the industry.  Timing, content is no accident.  I don't recall either actor doing an interview with Deadline about Castle specifically.  Seems like with her wedding PR and now this piece, Stana's taking a more proactive approach with her publicity.  

Yeah, that definitely seemed like a puff piece on Stana.  I think she is trying to get her name out there more, which is good for her.  Didn't she switch reps last year? This must be part of the new plan.

Maybe I'm more cynical, but I think the decision to re-sign on a show like Castle is always going to be more business driven than any artistic concerns.

I don't think that's cynical, I think it's just how business works. Great art is nice and all, but a woman's still gotta eat. I think it would be kind of short sighted to turn down a chance to bank some serious cash now, it can be used to fund more artsy stuff down the line.  But the money might not always be there.

Will be interesting to see if this event is the first real test of their marriage by putting them at odds with each other.

I would actually really enjoy seeing them have the marriage tested, assuming they come out of it stronger eventually.  

I do think there is character input. Maybe not loads, but some. Once DB became a producer on Bones, it is rumored that he didn't like Booth hanging at the lab, so that really whittled down. Maybe the credit just coincided there, but maybe not.

ETA: Thank you, Castle forum, for giving me my 5,000th post. Yes, I'm a big dork.

I just watched the documentary Showrunners on Netflix, and someone (Hart Hanson, I think), said that at the beginning the actors work for him, but once they're a hit he works for the actors, because it's much harder to replace the people who are seen on screen.

Edited by KaveDweller
(edited)
Castle and Beckett have seen eye to eye for so long (OK, maybe not every one of Castle's wild theories but Beckett's definitely come around to a lot), and I don't see a huge difference in their values or even approach anymore, so it will be interesting to see if this split in perspectives (and conclusion?) feels forced or organic.

I wonder if "cosmic" will eventually replace "mythology" as new buzz word on Castle or will they utilise both?

Katic mentions the importance of keeping the integrity of the character sound. I fear that any "shift" that causes them to split even temporarily is going to be a very hard sell from a writing POV when as you point out they've reached the stage where the rough edges have been knocked off and they seem fully committed and in tune with each other. A lot of fans will be calling bullshit on any story that promotes the idea that it's better to explore this couple fully whilst having them spend time apart rather than together in order to fulfil their "cosmic" vision for the show. If this separation does come to pass no matter what the duration I strongly suspect I will be one of them. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1
(edited)

I just watched the documentary Showrunners on Netflix, and someone (Hart Hanson, I think), said that at the beginning the actors work for him, but once they're a hit he works for the actors, because it's much harder to replace the people who are seen on screen.

Heh that sounds like something Hart would say, guess it does feel like that after a while to these showrunners and he's right in a way. Although Shonda doesn't seem to have a problem when it comes to showing stars who is boss lol. 

Joy at Gossip and Gab did her interpretation on that deadline interview and she also brought up about the producing aspect:

For those people not exactly sure what a producer does and why this is important in terms of the character of Kate Beckett, here – directly from the Producers Guild of America (PGA) is the description of what a producer does:

A Producer initiates, coordinates, supervises and controls, either on his own authority, or subject to the authority of an employer, all aspects of the motion-picture and/or television production process, including creative, financial, technological and administrative. A Producer is involved throughout all phases of production from inception to completion, including coordination, supervision and control of all other talents and crafts, subject to the provisions of their collective bargaining agreements and personal service contracts.

Obviously some producers are more involved than others and for some stars it seems like its a case of in name only.

Edited by verdana
Terri Edda Miller ‏@TerriEdda  5h5 hours ago

There are Magical pockets. You work with people you adore. Then everyone moves on. But those moments live on in your heart. #Always #Castle

Castle Art Dept ‏@CastleArtDept  14h14 hours ago

Finishing up the first episode of the new season..today!

I would love to spend some time watching Alfred Sole and the team at work, it's fascinating looking down the various photo's and comments he's posted over the years. 

Is it just me or did it seem like Stana's PR's fingerprints were all over that Deadline article? Nothing wrong with that of course and that's why actors have publicists, but it felt like Stana was trying to put her version of the story out there to obliquely address the drama that no doubt she was aware of, and obviously wanted to highlight certain stuff in her career to perk the interest of those in the industry.

I definitely don't think things were as dramatic as drama queens in the fandom made it out to be based on basically zero confirmed information, but honestly I am questioning whether negotiations really began in earnest after they wrapped the season. That sounds late to me.

It’s not just you madmaverick, the Deadline article reeked of PR intervention to me. Her version of the story nicely fit into how the press had :cough:TVLine:cough: built up her signing on S8 story. Though I am with you and while I believe the details were being finalised at the time she says, her saying yes to coming back happened a long time before probably in Dec/Jan.

Is Nathan getting a producer role as well then? Or has he decided not to? I know the role is just a title in most respects so he may have decided to but not announced in Deadline. ;)

• Love 2
(edited)

The new guy tweeted this, and I can make out Beckett saying something like "I love you. But at the same time my heart is breaking."

@sunkrishbala: Day 1 on Castle. LET'S DO THIS. http://t.co/8r5MyXmJ1o

As I expected, he already deleted it. Here's the pic:

http://tinypic.com/r/259i9zk/8

@sunkrishbala: Oops. That was an accident. Don't get me in trouble on my FIRST DAY guys.

Edited by FlickerToAFlame

Terri Edda Miller ‏@TerriEdda  5h5 hours ago

There are Magical pockets. You work with people you adore. Then everyone moves on. But those moments live on in your heart. #Always #Castle

Perhaps some (not just Terri) who have left Team Castle lately could benefit from separation anxiety counseling.  And, call me cynical, but tweets like this tell me she isn't busy enough post-Castle to focus on something else right now. 

(edited)

Heh slapped wrists for her but too late! She obviously not aware of how quickly the Castle fandom will pounce on anything like that, that picture is all over tumblr.

I can make out "love you" not so sure about the rest though I can see the word "time" on one line and then "breaking" on another but it sounds kind of cheesy TBH if that's what she does end up saying to Castle. I'd rather she stuck to plain old "I love you". 

Edited by verdana
(edited)

I've not heard of any projects from the MilMar stable coming through as yet. IMDB lists Miller on Derrick Storm (TV series) as a producer, not heard anything about that and Marlowe's entry is equally sparse saying Nick Fury (screenplay). I presume they both still have an ongoing relationship with ABC.

When Miller left Castle a few years back then suddenly announced her return in a blaze of glory, being cynical I presumed it was because her husband was the one person guaranteed to give her a job and she needed one. 

Edited by verdana

Well, it wouldn't be the first time they've gone the cheesy route. ;)  I can just make out "love you" and "breaking" as well.  May not be any hearts breaking, but the phone line.  I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing another Castle or Beckett in danger plot again, related to the grungy warehouse.  

Only a short time into Castle filming and the new cast members will have learned that Castle fans (any fans, probably) are forensic scientists like Nathan said and will zoom into everything to look for a ring, a word, no clue is too small, and also Toks has learned that Castle fans are also not tired of asking the same inane questions over and over, and also some are craaazy.

I wonder if "cosmic" will eventually replace "mythology" as new buzz word on Castle or will they utilise both?

I'm thinking "event" will replace mythology for a little while.  All it'll do is make me think of the show The Event that was cancelled quickly. ;)

(edited)

Milmar tried to get projects off the ground during their time on Castle, but they failed to do so.  With creative fatigue really setting in, and possibly running out of time with their development deal with ABC, they probably figured it was time to jump ship and really try to get their next payday started.  They've still a ways to go from getting their projects automatically greenlit or fought over by different networks like some other popular showrunners do.  I read that TGW husband/wife showrunner team had a new show greenlit, and the premise is aliens taking over The White House.  Scifi/comedy/political drama mix.  Definitely something different to the next __ [procedural] and sparked my interest.  I think one test of a show creator's ability is their ability to bring a completely different kind of show/genre to life.  Milmar's projects like Marlowe and Derek Storm sounded like more in the police procedural vein so they didn't get me too excited.

When Miller left Castle a few years back then suddenly announced her return in a blaze of glory, being cynical I presumed it was because her husband was the one person guaranteed to give her a job and she needed one.

I had similar cynical thoughts.  Not to say Miller hasn't earned her spot at the Castle writers' table, she has, and in fact I think she may be a better writer than Marlowe, but must be nice to be able to exit with a safety net, reenter, and probably get your pick of the episodes to write given her direct line to the big boss.

I don't think that's cynical, I think it's just how business works. Great art is nice and all, but a woman's still gotta eat. I think it would be kind of short sighted to turn down a chance to bank some serious cash now, it can be used to fund more artsy stuff down the line.  But the money might not always be there.

Agreed.  But because of the "art over finance" soundbite from Stana, and all her comments about needing reassurance that the integrity of the character would be preserved by the new showrunners since Marlowe left, some of her fans are no doubt going to interpret that as her artistic concerns being a paramount consideration in her contract negotiations and that was why she didn't sign till the new showrunners had told her of their grand plans for Beckett this season. ;)  I am not saying Stana doesn't care about her character; of course she does like most other actors.  But Beckett has almost always had the meatiest storylines over the seasons, and for all her "flaws", she comes out winning every time.  That's never in doubt.  The S7 finale with the dramatic interview scene and speechifying plus the acing of the Captain's exam and omg, of course the politicos love you too ;), speak to that.  There's no way the new showrunners are going to write Beckett as anything but a strong, female heroine who basically wins at everything all the time.  Danger to me, is going over the top with that rather than the character's integrity being ruined.

Edited by madmaverick

Well, it wouldn't be the first time they've gone the cheesy route. ;)  I can just make out "love you" and "breaking" as well.  May not be any hearts breaking, but the phone line.  I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing another Castle or Beckett in danger plot again, related to the grungy warehouse.  

Only a short time into Castle filming and the new cast members will have learned that Castle fans (any fans, probably) are forensic scientists like Nathan said and will zoom into everything to look for a ring, a word, no clue is too small, and also Toks has learned that Castle fans are also not tired of asking the same inane questions over and over, and also some are craaazy.

I'm thinking "event" will replace mythology for a little while.  All it'll do is make me think of the show The Event that was cancelled quickly. ;)

I can also see that it says Beckett's eyes fill with tears down below. Between that it looks like it says something about batteries being out, so maybe he's in danger the phone goes out and she thinks he's dead? Again.

I liked that show The Event. At least at the beginning.

Catching up on all the Castle news. Agreed about puff piece. Something changed in SK's PR strategy? Or they just decided to make hay while the sun shines i.e. with two new projects on the way and the serialized story of her signing.
I had a thought that Stana might want to stop emphasizing her "art over money" concept in this case, or with her new producer title she runs the risk of being questioned at every bad turn the show could take. If the story is that she signed only after getting guaranteed quality writing, and is now a producer to boot, wouldn't fans have the basis to judge her for that? (yes, in all honesty I just dislike big words and empty inspirational talk, lol).

• Love 3
Danger to me, is going over the top with that rather than the character's integrity being ruined.

I must admit, sometimes, I think it already is too much. We get it. Beckett is smart, Beckett is brave, Beckett is great captain material. I am not shading the character, but Marlowe and Company did her no favors making her so OTT fantasy material.

I think she needs some flaws (NOT taking her down pegs as Marlowe liked), something to make her a mere mortal again. Yes, she failed at the DC arc, but that is the only thing I can recall.

• Love 4

They give her lots of flaws, just outside of her job. She tends to be insecure in social situations when they aren't connected to a case, and she was always the insecure one about Castle's feeling for her. But yeah, she's shown to be very good at her job, unless you count when it's personal and she looses control.

But we haven't really seen Castle fail much at his career either. There was that stupid commercial, but we always hear about his books still being best sellers, right? At the end of the days things always turn out pretty well for these characters.

(edited)

Yeah I agree it says hurries, someone on tumblr (thank you dedicated Castle fans!) sharpened up the picture and has done a pretty good job picking it apart here's the blown up portion of the script and her guesswork is below:

In the beginning, it seems that is the Castle who is speaking. Can you read "wife" ("wife").

Then begin the lines of Beckett. Early on, you can see a "love you" ("I love you"). Below, read "time" ("Time") to the end of a word "me" ("some"? "A little"). Speculation: "I need some time" ("need time"), perhaps? Just below, reads "breaking" ("leaving," "breaking").

In continuation, we read that someone (Beckett? Castle?) "Hurries out" ("rushed out").

In the next scene, again with Beckett, we read the description that "her eyes fill with ..." ("his eyes fill with ... [tears perhaps]"). Then she asks, "What am I doing?" ("what am I doing?").

Source: http://castlebrasil.com/8-02-xx-spoilers-e-especulacoes/

Hmmmm I wonder if this is the moment they come to a decision to go their separate ways due to some event. 

Edited by verdana

IIRC, the only profession fail Castle has had was the Nikki Heat movie going straight to DVD.  Although I wonder if they did that only to skirt the whole movie premiere and press junket story arc, which actually would have been great to see.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think that the "problem" is not with her not having flaws that we, as viewers, can see. But with the acknowledgment of these flaws from other characters. All this insecurity or coldness or whatever else is usually brought up when there's a talk about Beckett's flaws are only evident to an outside viewer (us), and can be considered as a "flaw" when extrapolated on your own experiences, when one could say "well, that was cold" or "she kissed that guy first" etc. But other characters never acknowledge any of that as flaws or shortcomings, there's only excessive verbal praise. Not the same with Castle, even when he (unbelievably) solves all cases etc. His flaws are constantly acknowledged and it creates the perception of imbalance between these characters, even if it's not logical if you actually delve into it.

Edited by Gant
  • Love 5

As many have said here before, if they have to go their separate ways reluctantly because of circumstances beyond their control, that's one thing.  If the writers are actually creating a scenario where they are breaking up on their own, there had better be a rock-solid, true to both characters and the ongoing plot of their relationship reason, and a prompt, R-rated reunion. 

• Love 1

Good point, Flicker. I'll assume this isn't the first rodeo for either of these actors, but maybe they need to be schooled on the finer points of careful sharing on social media when you join a show with as rabid a fanbase as Castle. 

IIRC, the only profession fail Castle has had was the Nikki Heat movie going straight to DVD.  Although I wonder if they did that only to skirt the whole movie premiere and press junket story arc, which actually would have been great to see.

Yeah, I remember lots of fans complaining about not seeing it, so the writers must have thrown that line in to get them to shut up.

I think that the "problem" is not with her not having flaws that we, as viewers, can see. But with the acknowledgment of these flaws from other characters. All this insecurity or coldness or whatever else is usually brought up when there's a talk about Beckett's flaws are only evident to an outside viewer (us), and can be considered as a "flaw" when extrapolated on your own experiences, when one could say "well, that was cold" or "she kissed that guy first" etc. But other characters never acknowledge any of that as flaws or shortcomings, there's only excessive verbal praise.

I disagree, I can think of plenty of occasions where other people acknowledge her flaws.  But I know that is the minority opinion on this board.

I do think that they should stop making Castle look foolish in an attempt to be funny though.

Another good point, Kave.  And who better to leak stuff than the new guys, like Pi and Tech Guy, who can then play the "oopsie, my bad" card. With 9ish weeks to go until the season premiere, they may want to throw a few bones to the fandom over the Summer to keep us chomping at the bit. 

And in how many of those Caskett scenes do they get naked? :P  Just kidding...sort of.  Yes, I'm always going to hope that Caskett share a lot of screentime together, but if that's not the case in the opening 2 parter, then I at least hope their scenes together are of high quality where stuff really happens and their chemistry is intact.  I don't want scenes which leave me feeling indifferent.

Good advice!  Out in the sun if not on Castle because I fear what Luke would do with hats.  Susan should dole out her unsolicited advice to Castle fandom for their drama issues. ;)  I hope she's still in her twitter bubble of not having been subjected to the Drama and the Nasty.

How long has it been since we saw a pic of Nathan and Stana filming together?

Posh environment. :D  Bowman photobombs again!  Let's hope this scene is better lit, but by the looks of it, I'm guessing half their faces will be in shadow.  Especially when they kiss of course. ;)

Gee thanks, Rob! XD

Nice environment though!

I've been very vocal about not caring about the C/B romance. I still don't. Be that as it may, it seems quite ridiculous to do a reset 8 seasons in. I just hope the new showrunners know what they are doing.

• Love 1

I think at this point the only thing that hasn't happened is a blimp flying over the studio saying "they are breaking up". Not trying to be a dick, but the longer people deny it the more angry and disappointed you will be and probably not even because of the story itself but if you convince yourself it would never ever ever ever happen. 

I get not wanting to be baited by TVLine (who like I suspected took a lot of advantage with the way worded things)

But yeah, it's all about hitting the reset button this season. 

I think it's clear there's some kind of break, but it's not clear to me whether it is a serious and definite split or if it's that something happens and they need time apart but will be working their way back to each other.  The script screenshot still has Beckett saying "I love you" which gives me some hope about it being the latter.  Cause I'm not really interested in something where we get no Castle/Beckett interaction and no hope for them being together.