Type keyword(s) to search

Geraldo Rivera: War Correspondent

To me, stolen and false valor are pretty much the lowest of the low indicators of character for any man.  DT has done and said a lot of lousy things.  Really lousy.  But, to my knowledge, he has never hinted at any kind of physical courage.  He has also spent a lot of money supporting veteran's causes.

I note there are not any up and coming network journalists in Ukraine, Africa, Afghanistan, and other areas of horrible conflict, terror, and war.  It used to be the case that these were the types of areas where a given aspiring anchor would go for "seasoning" and to gain "chops." (Status and credibility).  Well?  Where is that commitment today?  Who are the future anchors and justy how are they supposed to have the necessary background for such a position?

My own humble little opinion is that war correspondents have to be either suicidal or crazy.  I would put Geraldo squarely in the crazy camp.  It isn't only his warped mentality, however; it's also his ego.  Much like Trump, Geraldo belongs in the category of people who think that their every word is worth hearing.  Neither has need of a PR firm when they can proclaim their own greatness so loudly and effectively.  Geraldo has one more trait that I think may even be worse than Trump's:  In his own heart and mind, he thinks that he is always right, and anyone who disagrees with him simply suffers from a low IQ.  Along with all these failings, Geraldo has a habit which personally irritates me.  He struts.  His fanny wags from side to side as he walks, giving his body an attitude of casual superiority, a sort of "Look at me!" kind of wiggle.  He's a little man in many ways, trying to be more important in a big man's world.

To be completely fair, maybe it does take bravery to go into a war zone and report the action.  In days gone by, those men were regarded as heroes.  These days, however, people like Geraldo and Dan Rather (and others) have to look into a mirror, comb their hair, apply more hair spray, and check their teeth before stepping in front of the camera.  After all, they're stars in the making.  What they say now or in years to come isn't nearly as important as their manicured images.

Brian Williams is a far cry from a newsman of any substance.  In the past year or two, how many times has he included a plug in the news for his daughter's starring role in "Peter Pan?"  Hogwash!  He could care less about what is news and what is not.  The important thing with Brian Williams is how far he can get trumpeting himself and his family!  That's not a journalist!  That's a pretty boy!!!  I could not stand him the first week he was on the air, and I changed the channel.  If he leaves for good, it can only help NBC.  Now, Brian, PLEASE pack your mike and go!  And take Giraldo with you.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1

To be completely fair, maybe it does take bravery to go into a war zone and report the action.  In days gone by, those men were regarded as heroes.  These days, however, people like Geraldo and Dan Rather (and others) have to look into a mirror, comb their hair, apply more hair spray, and check their teeth before stepping in front of the camera.  After all, they're stars in the making.  What they say now or in years to come isn't nearly as important as their manicured images.

When I think of war correspondents, the first one I always think of is Ernie Pyle. The second is Bill Mauldin (who, yeah, was a cartoonist, but was out there working as a war correspondent, I think, who just sent his dispatches in drawings). Geraldo is no Ernie Pyle or Bill Mauldin.

• Love 1

Geraldo has one more trait that I think may even be worse than Trump's:  In his own heart and mind, he thinks that he is always right, and anyone who disagrees with him simply suffers from a low IQ.

I think Trump is this way too. ;-)

It was always a bit of a mystery to me how Williams got the anchor job in the first place.

I am taking an answer to this to Small Talk since it has nothing to do with Geraldo or the show.