Type keyword(s) to search

Spencer Reid: Gorgeous Gray Matter

• Start Topic

Well I'm not leaping to condemn without knowing any of the facts. For all we know there may have been personal reasons why he wanted to spend some time with his father. 

exactly. I don't think any of us are privy to his personal life (as it should be). There are all sorts of possibilities as to why/how he managed to get such a huge chunk of time off.  I'm just happy to have him back. And sorta grateful for the upcoming holiday from Criminal Minds I'll be able to take too.  I hope nothing is seriously wrong in the extended Gubler family.

• Love 5

Well I'm not leaping to condemn without knowing any of the facts. For all we know there may have been personal reasons why he wanted to spend some time with his father. Or he may have wanted to leave the show and this time off was negotiated to keep him on board for most of the season as CBS must be aware of his popularity. There absolutely must be more of a reason for a workaholic like Matthew to take so much time off than him just fannying around appearing to have a good time.

Well put, Old Dog. He seemed to be happy and not working on other projects the whole time he was away from filming in October (except for a couple of days filming the Killers video), but we have no idea what is actually going on. 

I'll give him a pass while trying to let CBS and the show know that I don't watch a Reidless show. Will not do it. It's against my religion... [insert irony emoji here]

• Love 5

Yeah...no, sorry, I am not giving him the benefit of the doubt, and I am a huge Matthew fan. I mean, he gets paid over $100,000 every eight days, and he rarely works all of those eight days in the first place. He gets two months off in the summer to do whatever the hell he wants. And nobody else in the cast is taking a month off of work just for the hell of it. I would have a completely different attitude if he was working on a movie or something big, but he wasn't. And since Reid is pretty much the only thing that keeps me interested in Criminal Minds, I find it even more cringe worthy. I wouldn't have the same attitude if it was anyone else in the cast, because I am not as attached to any of the others. 

Thing is, CBS does have a history of screwing with the show's actors. Ask Paget. And Rachel. And Jeanne. When was the last time MGG just randomly went on sabbatical, I can't remember. Given the choice between believing that he's farted off because he feels like it or that he might be tending to some personal issues, I'll take the second option. Given how little CM properly utilizes Reid these days, if he was going to really be obnoxious and just take off, it seems like he'd have done it before now.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 4

exactly. I don't think any of us are privy to his personal life (as it should be). There are all sorts of possibilities as to why/how he managed to get such a huge chunk of time off.  I'm just happy to have him back. And sorta grateful for the upcoming holiday from Criminal Minds I'll be able to take too.  I hope nothing is seriously wrong in the extended Gubler family.

I know Matthew is pretty tight with his family so I'm hoping this jaunt was just some bonding time with Papa Gubler. Sure, Matthew has a strong work ethic and likes to work on a lot of creative projects (hey, me, too-must be a Pisces thing. Snerk). But he does deserve some R and R time. Heck, we all do.

And I'm kind of looking forward to some R and R time from CM myself. I have some stuff that needs to get organized around my lady lair. I want to write a couple of book reviews. And I want to get cracking on some crafting I'm doing for Christmas gifts.

• Love 3

Thing is, CBS does have a history of screwing with the show's actors. Ask Paget. And Rachel. And Jeanne. When was the last time MGG just randomly went on sabbatical, I can't remember. Given the choice between believing that he's farted off because he feels like it or that he might be tending to some personal issues, I'll take the second option. Given how little CM properly utilizes Reid these days, if he was going to really be obnoxious and just take off, it seems like he'd have done it before now.

Yeah, this show does have a history of screwing over their female actors, but have not gone there for their male actors (yet). Matthew has never gone on sabbatical, because until the upcoming episodes, he has had a perfect attendance record. But unless he is not in the opening credits for the show, CBS would likely have to pay him for the episode (even if he is not in it), because he is a series regular. It's just all so weird. I honestly hope CBS or the writers basically just didn't decide to use him, but I also hope he didn't just ask for a month of screw off time when he works so little to begin with. 

• Love 1

I will point out that we still don't know if Reid will actually be absent from episodes 9 & 10. It's highly likely, but not a certainty. He could have done the filming for his scenes before he took his time off.

We could be surprised and actually see Jane Lynch, but, because of her schedule, Gubler needed to do his scenes with her in one go. It's also possible we'll get scenes where he'll meet the girl who's supposedly going to put him in peril in episode 11.

The show has long experience sidelining the character of Reid while throwing a (meager) bone to his fan base.  What compelling reason would there be for them to send him off to Vegas and thereby risk completely alienating the MGG/Reid fans, if not the actor's request? 

For me, the fact that the filming dates of the Reid-less episodes coincide so precisely with MGG's beloved month of October seals the deal.  

Was it just for fun?  Was there something else going on behind the scenes?  I don't know that we'll ever find out, because, for all of his social media presence, he is a very private person.  

No matter the reason, it's a done deal, so there's no point rehashing it.  I'll just hope for more, and better, Reid in however many episodes he has remaining with CM.

• Love 3

He could have done the filming for his scenes before he took his time off.

Well, it would be filming for 3 different directors from a remote location, if what we think is true. He could possibly have gone back for a few hours each 8-day filming period to work with that director and cast. We shall see.

Episode eight is up in the air, just because he was around for part of the episode filming window, but knowing some of his activities then, he won't be featured much if he is in it at all. If he is, it is probably just a brief scene to set up his exit or a phone call from Bennington. He completely missed the window for the episode nine filming, because he was on the East Coast the entire time. He was back in LA for part of the episode 10 filming window, but based on their costumer BJ Rogers' tweet to Matthew, I don't think he was around for episode 10 filming at all either. 

Edited by ForeverAlone
  • Love 1

And I was going to say this is my previous post, but if he had been going to just side-step appearing in some episodes, he could have done that back when he racked his knee up. Considering that the writers had Reid get shot to explain why he was hobbling around on crutches, then using a cane, if he had wanted to rest that leg on a more full time basis, he could have probably asked for the time and gotten it, and he didn't.

• Love 3

maybe he got secretly married and had dad along as the witness/distraction/run interference. O:-)  Maybe he's learned since the Kat Dennings and Ali Michaels messes to keep it on the down low...

(and I'm kidding, in case someone's wondering)

Edited by ReidFan
  • Love 2

Wasn't Matthew sick at the beginning of the hiatus?

Matthew has mentioned that he is a method actor-- he has to feel the emotions Reid is supposed to be feeling and he said that can be difficult and that sometimes he has nightmares. He's shown empathy for Mandy Patinkin on having a nervous breakdown. He's described himself as neurotic. He's mentioned that it was hard to maintain a relationship while working on the show and he was depressed after a breakup. He's also getting to the age where his metabolism should be changing. He seemed quite unhappy for a few years-- I think either season 9 or 10 being the worst. He mentioned that all Reid seemed to do was make fans sad-- and I think that was a reflection of how Reid was making him feel-- or at least the writing for Reid. Maybe he felt that he needed a mental health break and that knowing he had that time off was a way of seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and taking some pressure off. Acting is a very emotionally intense job (when done properly) and good actors have to really dig deep down into some uncomfortable emotions and it can be physically and mentally exhausting. So, I can believe that he really felt he needed the break. There could be other factors that we don't know about. He could have done some modeling and other projects that haven't been announced.

Anyway, despite the amount of money he gets, I won't think any less of him if he asked for a month off. He never missed an episode before, was available for filming even while in severe pain, and hasn't had any embarrassing arrests, drunken binges, or incidents that would get CBS upset with him. This show has eaten up a decade of his life. I won't begrudge him wanting an extra month off.

• Love 4

I just ignore most of that in "It Takes a Village." What sounds good when you first hear it, and if you don't analyze it too much, falls apart upon closer scrutiny. It's rather impossible to know what Erica was imagining when she wrote it, and they certainly made zero effort to actually flesh out those details. 

• Love 3

Qwerty, that's not what I meant by metabolism. Maybe my thoughts on it are different than yours. And weight is not as simple to control just by how much you put in your mouth. There are other factors involved other than caloric intake and exercise. When the metabolism changes, it can be hard to balance the level of exercise needed to burn calories as your body can become less efficient at it. Some people start to have less energy to do things once they hit a certain point. The myelin production is decreased and people start to lose agility and start to have more aches and pains-- which can make exercise more difficult. Wounds also seem to heal more slowly. Matthew always seems to be full of energy and is always staying active, my suggestion was that maybe he doesn't have quite as much energy as he used to have and he needs more rest. This has nothing to do with his weight.

As to the bit in "It Takes A Village", Erica said in an interview that Reid didn't ask to be reinstated because he didn't feel like he should have to ask to get back a job that he already had. Apparently there had been some dialog written, but Matthew felt that all Reid would say was whatever his answer was in the episode. (So, she basically blamed Matthew for it).

• Love 3

Qwerty, I see zannej answered your question about Reid not thinking he needed to be reinstated. That sounded very Reid to me. I think Matthew lobbied for this answer, so, if that's true, one of the few moments when Reid was written logically came about not from the writers but the actor.

• Love 3

Thanks for the answers, also if there a single source where you can read those kinds of things or is it way too late to find those articles online now?

And again, another question. In Self-Fulfilling Prophecy was Reid implying he saw the apparition of Leverett Saltonstall when he was three or am I missing something? Was he not talking about himself?

I think he was. Saying he saw a ghost. He also said he thought he had imaginary friends when he was around that age. Not uncommon, especially in gifted children.

Maybe the order of events was that she complimented him on his article and he realized what her job was and reached out to her for help? Wasn't she a neurogeneticist rather than just a geneticist?

I would say this scenario would work (Reid reaching out to Maeve for expertise), but then he would have to know her name. Of course, that was the lamest link in the whole Maeve arc, that Spencer didn't know her last name. It was unnecessary to the drama, and completely dismantled the plausibility of the relationship.

• Love 5

And if he was interested in Maeve's research, he surely would have seen her last name first, since that's how scientific papers are signed: by your last name.

I wish I could forget how stupid Reid was written in that whole arc...

• Love 1

I know I have said it before,but I will say it again. That whole cloak and dagger bit that was a part of this arc was just another example of MESSer seemingly not able to comprehend the fact that Criminal Minds is not Alias. Other such examples were of course the Prentiss spy arc. And the ridiculous over the top story line they ended up giving JJ for the milestone episode of 200. Although for 200 it seemed more like a case where she and Dunkle must have gotten confused somehow and thought that they were writing it for NCIS or one of it's spin offs. Because it sure as heck would have been a lot better fit on one of those shows than it was on CM.

• Love 4

Also he only knew her job title, but if he reached out wouldn't he have to had have known where she worked as well? Did Maeve just keep her first name and phone number easily accessible to the public? You would think someone being stalked would be a little more careful than that..

This.

When you are being stalked, particularly if the stalking is partially or fully occurring via the internet, you are extremely careful about what you post online, and what you allow others to post, even work-related things.

• Love 1

I believe it was the air date for LDSK, since his birthday party was on the show. I haven't seen anything specific in terms of a birth date on the show. 

I thought I read somewhere that it's supposed to be early October, which would make Spencer a Libra, not a Pisces like Matthew. Plus, I believe Spencer was born in 1981, a year younger than Matthew, which is a hell of  a lot better and more believable than making Rossi a damn near decade younger than Joe!

• Love 1

Well depending on the date Reid was born,he is actually a year and a half younger than Matthew. Reid turned 24 in 2005 of October. Matthew was 25 at the time.

Than in March Matthew turned 26 and Reid was still only 24. So you have a period of time where it seems like there was a 2 year's difference in their ages. That is until Reid has his birthday in October and then there appears to be only about a year's difference in their ages.

• Love 1

I have a theory. Maybe I should put it in the "Unpopular Opinions" thread. But anyway, I don't see Matthew just asking for a month off, given what we've come to know about his work ethic.

I think instead, TPTB (whom I believe view him as difficult to write for at best, and expendable at worst) asked him to am-scray for a few, so they could emphasize JJ coming back in the fold and still keep the number of profilers to a minimum. In keeping with his apparently-agreeable nature, I believe he was willing to do so. I know I sound paranoid. I am, actually. But this makes sense to me.

In my opinion, I think he would've dialed back the social media accounts of his traipsing around, if he had just asked for and received some crazy-assed month-long vacation in the middle of filming season. It makes more sense, to me, that he decided to make the most of the time and maybe even thumb his nose a bit at the network, for sidelining him, if in fact that is what they did.

It was easy for the writers, who cannot for the lives of all of them write for Reid, to come up with a ridiculous excuse involving his mother, to explain his whereabouts for the next few episodes. His conversation with JJ, plus his actual phone call to his mom, took maybe one minute tops.

Regardless, these writers and show runners should be ashamed of what they've done to the character, and to the show.

I just don't see that happening. If they wanted to write for fewer characters, it would make more sense to eliminate Lewis since she is the newbie and wouldn't be missed as much as someone like Reid who's been there from the beginning. I understand what you're saying about the current writers being unable to write for Reid, but I I just can't believe they'd so something like that. If they did, you're right. Shame on them. 

• Love 1

I just don't see that happening. If they wanted to write for fewer characters, it would make more sense to eliminate Lewis since she is the newbie and wouldn't be missed as much as someone like Reid who's been there from the beginning. I understand what you're saying about the current writers being unable to write for Reid, but I I just can't believe they'd so something like that. If they did, you're right. Shame on them.

One possibility is Hollywood's twisted idea of gender equality and the simple math behind it:

Reid is a white male character, thus he can be “expendable”,

While

Lewis is a black female character, of which “the bloggers” clamour that we need more of, so she can't be tossed so easily.

Considering that CBS was already once raked over the coals for how it treated females on this show, I doubt they'd want to make that same mistake again.

• Love 2

Short for r/shitredditsays which is a semi-satirical subreddit on Reddit that is notorious for having mods that delete comments/ban users for the slightest offence and hang out in the subreddit where MGG did his AMA a lot. And then the /s was just a sarcasm tag.

• Love 1

I'm less referring to the tweets and more referring to the person's points before it tbh. This part:

◦It’s not canon, vis-a-vis network executives’ upperhand in production.
◦But it is canon, vis-a-vis creator’s headcanon.
◦Therefore, it is canon regardless of network presentation.
◦Yes, Spencer Reid is written as a bisexual.
◦No, Reid is not shown as a bisexual.
◦Still canon to me, because creator says so.

To me, if the creator of the character says he's bisexual then I'm going to take his word for it over those of the network, but I know that some would disagree with this.

There is nothing to say that Reid isn't bisexual, because that was Jeff's original conception of the character. But we will never see it play out onscreen, because CBS lacks balls in my opinion. Reid has never said he was heterosexual, though he has only ever been shown to be attracted to women. But that does not mean he doesn't have sexual feelings for men. I can easily support the idea that it is canon Reid is bisexual.

• Love 3

I have no problem holding my beliefs of the character (i.e., he might be bisexual, he might be Asperger's) and not having to have it spelled out. It seems when they try to set things in concrete (is or isn't) TPTB frequently do a sloppy job, and not just with Reid.

• Love 2

Well if we are going to speak of what the original intent was of Jeff Davis regarding these characters, I am reasonable sure that he had also intended for Reid to be the BAU's one and only bonafide genius.Therefore I do not care how many times they have that infantile clown known as Garcia spout off that she too is a genius,I will never except it as canon.

• Love 6

Hey, I just dropped by this thread because I really needed to scream, "WHERE tf IS REID! No Reid, No Watch!"

I have a theory. Maybe I should put it in the "Unpopular Opinions" thread. But anyway, I don't see Matthew just asking for a month off, given what we've come to know about his work ethic.

I think instead, TPTB (whom I believe view him as difficult to write for at best, and expendable at worst) asked him to am-scray for a few, so they could emphasize JJ coming back in the fold and still keep the number of profilers to a minimum. In keeping with his apparently-agreeable nature, I believe he was willing to do so. I know I sound paranoid. I am, actually. But this makes sense to me.

In my opinion, I think he would've dialed back the social media accounts of his traipsing around, if he had just asked for and received some crazy-assed month-long vacation in the middle of filming season. It makes more sense, to me, that he decided to make the most of the time and maybe even thumb his nose a bit at the network, for sidelining him, if in fact that is what they did.

It was easy for the writers, who cannot for the lives of all of them write for Reid, to come up with a ridiculous excuse involving his mother, to explain his whereabouts for the next few episodes. His conversation with JJ, plus his actual phone call to his mom, took maybe one minute tops.

Regardless, these writers and show runners should be ashamed of what they've done to the character, and to the show.

Finally, I found someone who has the close speculation to mine!

MGG asked for A MONTH OFF and shitty CBS is completely OK with it when all the other his request, give Reid more storyline or the scene he can prove he is mature, are rejected??

WOW, YEAH, CBS, fuck Erica Messer is soo kind to him! Huh?

Seriously, I can't stand with the idiots who think CBS kindly accept Matthew's request that no one knows whether it is existing such a thing.

And if it's Matthew who did ask to take some time off, then why didn't CBS reject it when they turned every single other request from him??

They seem to be even happy w/o MGG, they didn't post MGG's pic on sns accounts or write anything about Reid w/o being demanded to excuse themselves!

This attitudes made Matthew feel useless and need to take time off, then I said he was half forced to take time off.

But in my opinion, it was CBS who asked Matthew to take time off. CBS TPTB knew t if Matthew had on vacay, his absent episodes would be during December, so they could promote Shemar Moore for PCA all over w/o being bothered by Reid's fans.

And if Matthew was conveniently gone for a while, then Shemar Moore became the only one who had never missed a episode, which made SM look more like an only celeb and the most popular one in the show.

Seriously, why everyone only complains about AJ, when CBS's clear and overwhelming favorite is always Shemar Moore, the talentless nothing.

And the biggest mistery is what is this all about Shamer Moore situation, when he has no active and real fans but affiliates who are most active and gathering on FB.

What I really can't understand is WHY CBS IGNORES only MGG/Reid, the MOST and OVERWHELMINGLY POPULAR ACTOR. I mean what kind of idiots can think, "Hey! Let's ignore only "the most popular one"! It will save the show and gain more new and younger viewers!"

I mean SERIOUSLY? Are they having brain tumore or what?

How much they ignore MGG/Reid is too insane to believe just shitty EM's words, "we don't know how to write Reid".

No. This situation is INSANE. UNBELIEVABLY ABSURD.

Is EM hating MGG actually? Yes, she must be, I think.

But still its not enough explanaition of this situation?

SM has been jealous with MGG's popularity and forced CBS to chose him or MGG and threat CBS that he will leave if Matthew is promoted a bit,and fans are all over about Matthew?

Well, I do believe some black community behind SM supported SM with money and by that money threating CBS. And SM is just a huge ego dick, I think, so if he had been whining about Matthew's popularity and claimed it was all because Reid's centric episodes in early days, never owing to MGG, I won't be surprised.

But, still it's not enough to explain why the most popular character/ actor, especially to the younger, is soooo ignored and almost fired?

I NEED THE ANSWER.

And if I do need the answer or to change something about a show, I won't shout at CBS, but stop watching and more importantly shout at the SPONSORS.

CBS or the networks doesn't care about viewers or ratings, but they DO count on its sponsors!

Attack sponsors. Just in the polite way.

"Hi, I'm a huge fan of your products, such as -product name-. But I sadly have to stop buying it. Because I do like -product name-, but I love Spencer Reid and Criminal Minds that you sponsor more.

Spencer Reid, the most and overwhelming fans' favorite has been ignored on the show, and even he missed three episodes in this season.

The show has been taken over Morgan, the actor Shemar Moore, and the showrunner Erica Messer, but since then ratings keep dropping and especially when the first episode w/o Reid hit the series low and even did the worst record in L+7 ratings.

-paste tons of graphs, charts, etc. Just show them the statistical fact-

Yes, we lost one girl member like years ago, but it doesn't make sence that her leaving constantly damaged the ratings.

No. It's related to how the story got boring and the very reason why the story got boring is Reid's less. Reid has been core of the story in early days, and we loved it, that's how huge viewers became fans of CM.

Just look at this correlation chart.

-show the charts: one is the chart of how much Reid's screentime declined per season, the other is the chart of decline of ratings, demo is fine. may be adding the chart of increase of SM's screentime and promotions by CBS will be helpful too-

You may say, "but I heard Shemar Moore is the one most popular and the biggest lure of viewers!"

But please look at this OFFICIAL vote's result.

-paste the screenshot of the tweet of CM on twitter, 2014, that said RT or FAV for Morgan or Reid, and Reid won in a double score.-

And all CM fans know, Reid is our fav.

-show tons of fandome voting result-

Now, I expect you to understand fully the truth of Criminal Minds' viewers.

But it's Reid who has been ignored most and will have least screentime among the entire cast in this season.

And about this season, ratings are literally the worst in CM history ever and dying. On every rating discussing board, CM is almost forgot but when other fans realize there is still CM and the situation of CM, they say,"CM is falling". And some of them are even saying, "Cancel it. It's useless as a lead-in, and will be dead if it moves to 10pm anyway. So don't prevent new shows from being produced and aired".

I'm sorry, dear -sponsor name-.

I'm doubting your marketing and observing skills.

You've just sit back and let CBS kill its own show by ignoring SO OBVIOUS fans' favorite.

I did like your product, but considering into this lack of observing skill, I doubt you are doing proper marketing research, or listening to the users. Since you are so careless of the show you spent millions, why can we expect you to care of some customers who can't damage you even a little by claiming our opinions?

By your sponsoring show, I really feel like going to be abandoned by you.

So I stopped buying your products.

Sorry, but I like DrReid and Criminal Minds old days way more than your company."

Write and send this again and again and again. Or just call them and tell them this again and again and again until they will scream at you with irritation.

Well, this is the only way to send your voice to CBS TPTB.

Renewal is always based on the numbers in the “target demographic”, American adult viewers aged 18-49 watching at that very moment. Nothing else affects the renewal process. Despite the rise of Netflix and other media, TV shows still make the vast majority of its money on same day viewers, with the ratio not even close- the number of TV viewers versus someone like me who streams is 17:1.

The only thing I might grant is that auxiliary revenue might mitigate some of CM's expenses and thus allow its noticeably smaller numbers this year to get it a renewal when it might not have, but make no mistake- renewal is based solely on the ratings. Nothing else.

Well if we are going to speak of what the original intent was of Jeff Davis regarding these characters, I am reasonable sure that he had also intended for Reid to be the BAU's one and only bonafide genius.Therefore I do not care how many times they have that infantile clown known as Garcia spout off that she too is a genius,I will never except it as canon.

There is not enough "Preach!" in the world for this comment. I never thought of Garcia as stupid (at least in the earlier seasons) and she's definitely has a way with technology, but genius? No way!

As for Reid being bisexual? Well, if he was originally written that way, I wish CM would have explored this aspect of his character. But they might have chickened out because despite our sex-drenched culture, America can be quite uptight and puritan when it comes to people's sexual preferences.

I just want Spencer to be happy and in a relationship that is solid and stable and gives him the love and security he must crave. At this point, I'd just be happy if Spencer had a group of friends he likes to hang out with. Yes, he is an introvert but speaking as an introvert I can safely say that, yes, we do have social lives.

• Love 4

Someone else posted a link but they're actually making more money of Criminal Minds this year, so the ratings/views going down don't really mean anything. 

Do you remember where you saw the link that revealed this information.

As for Reid being bisexual? Well, if he was originally written that way, I wish CM would have explored this aspect of his character. But they might have chickened out because despite our sex-drenched culture, America can be quite uptight and puritan when it comes to people's sexual preferences.

I don't think it was that CM TPTB chickened out - I was under the impression that they were expressly told by the network that Reid being bisexual was not going to fly.

• Love 1

I just want Spencer to be happy and in a relationship that is solid and stable and gives him the love and security he must crave. At this point, I'd just be happy if Spencer had a group of friends he likes to hang out with. Yes, he is an introvert but speaking as an introvert I can safely say that, yes, we do have social lives.

This. It's why I'm behind annoyed this his "centric" (andI'llbelieveitwhenIseeit) episode is about another botched attempt at romance.

How cruel the writers have been to Spencer. So cruel and unfair. Everyone on this show has known love and the fulfillment of a romantic relationship. Every single person. Except Reid. It pisses me off to no end.

Edited by Droogie
  • Love 5

How cruel the writers have been to Spencer. So cruel and unfair. Everyone on this show has known love and the fulfillment of a romantic relationship. Every single person. Except Reid. It pisses me off to no end.

It really is so gratuitous at this point, isn't it? And it isn't even that I think Spencer would consider romance or sex the be-all and end-all in life, but as you say, its so glaring that the show had him watch the woman he might have loved get killed in front of him and then never bothered to show him recovering from it and moving on with someone else. Or even trying to, really, as they did with Hotch. Whatever I thought of Beth, at least the writers made the effort to give Aaron another chance at love. And while I've had and am still having great fun nourishing his relationship with Elle in my stories, its so frustrating how little interest the paid writers have in putting in the same effort. Or any effort, for that matter.

• Love 4