Type keyword(s) to search

Torchwood Recruitment Game

Luckylyn

I like to joke about Jack being a crappy recruiter and thought it might be fun to start a game where we pick any 5 characters from television we would ask to join Torchwood if we were the boss.  Here's my list in no particular order.

1) John Crichton (Farscape) - Field Agent and tech

2) Kaylee (Firefly) - Tech (reverse engineering alien tech)

3) Felicity Smoak (Arrow) - Tech (hacking, software design, security, communications, etc...)

4) Diggle (Arrow) - Field Agent

5)  Henry (Forever) - Doctor

My fascination with alien tech shows in my choices.

Edited by Luckylyn
  • Love 1

Nice choices!

My list would probably show my appreciation for a great badass, but I don't want to skimp on the brains so:

Zoe Washburne (Firefly) - Field Agent

Melinda May (Agents of SHIELD) - Field Agent

Alec Hardison (Leverage) - Tech (hacking, communications)

Daniel Jackson (Stargate SG-1) - Alien Languages/Communications

Walter Bishop (Fringe) - Biotech, can fill in as a doc when needed

So that's five.  If I could push it to seven, Dana Scully and Dean Winchester would make the list.

I'm also really tempted to put River Tam in the list, because she'd probably be able to identify and use anything they'd find within seconds, and she can be a badass.  But her emotional instability probably makes her less than ideal.  Then again, I think if anyone could work well with her despite that, it would be Jack.  

• Love 1

I hadn't considered linguistics and Daniel Jackson is a great choice.  I wish I had included Walter and Peter Bishop to my list but the point of the game is to limit it to five choices.  It's hard to narrow it down. 

I am so glad you brought up Ioan Griffudd's "Forever".  I'm not watching it -- it looks WAY to formulaic and sappy for me -- but I'm a sucker for handsome Welshmen.  

I do follow a Tumblr page whose author is all over "Forever."  I mean, hork.  But, who am I to complain about photos of Griffudd?  Seriously, now.

BUT, I was wondering if there is a comparison to be made with Jack Harkness.  Is "Forever" handling some of the idiosyncrasies of immortality that DW/TW avoided or ignored?  I'd start a separate thread (and someone should) but I don't know enough about "Forever" to be literate in a discussion.

For me, Forever is sort of fun guilty pleasure.   It has dark moments but a lighter tone overall.  Ioan Griffudd's fascinating relationship with his son played by Judd Hirsch is the reason to watch.  I might start a thread discussing immortal characters to compare them to Jack. (edited to add:  Jack vs. other immortals)

BTW, I'm dying to know who your 5 Torchwood recruits would be.

Edited by Luckylyn

LOL  I'll have to think about that.  

1) Sarah Manning (Orphan Black) - Field Agent and tech

2) Kaylee (Firefly) - Tech (reverse engineering alien tech)  (I thought of her immediately!)
3) Seymour Birkoff (LFN, 1995 Canadian version, played by Matthew Ferguson; Seasons 1, 2 & 3) - Tech (hacking, software design, security, communications, etc...)
4) Edison Carter (Max Headroom) - Field Agent
5)  Whoa.  Low on the Doctors who would be good and understanding about alien shit so, the winner is:  Dr. Emilio Lizardo (Buckaroo Bonsai)- Doctor  He only wins because he has to be crazy to put up with Torchwood shenanigans.  He beat out Dr. Zira from Planet of the Apes and Dr. Dana Scully from X-Files (she wouldn't put up with any of it for one hot second.  She'd ricochet off Jack on her way to the exit.)  Or, Ianto Jones if he went to med school because, as we know, all he has to do is return from the Rift in Cardiff where he is currently in freefall.  Seriously.

• Love 1

Or, Ianto Jones if he went to med school because, as we know, all he has to do is return from the Rift in Cardiff where he is currently in freefall.  Seriously.

Ianto Lives!

I struggled with what doctor to pick.  I settled on Henry because I could imagine him and Jack having some interesting conversations.  I do wonder if a veterinarian might be a better choice since that area of medicine requires knowledge of a variety of species.   Maybe Hershel from Walking Dead.

• Love 1

Heh, I thought so myself!  :-)

So, the newly minted and returned from the dead, Ianto Jones returns to agent extraordinaire, personal valet, Land Rover repairman and batman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_(military).)

Duties of the batman:

A batman's duties often include:

acting as a "runner" to convey orders from the officer to subordinates
maintaining the officer's uniform and personal equipment as a valet
driving the officer's vehicle, sometimes under combat conditions
acting as the officer's bodyguard in combat
digging the officer's foxhole in combat, giving the officer time to direct their unit[1]

See above link to Wikipedia for source material.

ETA:  Still bitter?  OH YEAH.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 2

My list is

Felicity Smoak: computer genius

Dean Winchester - badass fighter, genius with making things, loyal to a fault, not afraid of things that go bump in the night, badass car that he, Jack and Ianto can fight over. Wears a suit like nobody's business.

ianto Jones - duh

Sydney Bristow : chameleon with disguises, smart, kicks ass

Wesley Windham Pryce - all the research

• Love 1

I'll take a stab...

Michael Weston (Burn Notice) - Super resourceful and effective; he always gets the job done, no matter how bad the odds

Sam Tyler (Life On Mars) -Like Gwen, he would challenge Jack and question, question, question to make sure they're doing the best they can do

Rodney McKay Stargate Atlantis) - Smart yet fallible, annoying yet lovable, pathetic at times but funny -- an Owen Harper/Sheldon Cooper love child

Veronica Mars (Veronica Mars) - Kick-ass researcher who always gets her guy, gal, alien, whatever

Derek Reese (The Sarah Connor Chronicles) - Ex-military time traveler who understands the dangers of humans and technology (Sarah Connor would work, too if a female character would be preferred)

I went for two different lists replacing who we have then hiring from within Torchwood.

Replacing

Jack - Angel ( Buffy/Angel)  both immortal and broody

Ianto - John Crichton (Farscape) both smart , quick thinking and funny

Tosh - Sam Carter ( Stargate SG1) both computer/science/engineering brains and tough

Owen - Stephen Franklin ( Babylon 5) both Doctors and brave and pains in the arse LOL

Gwen - Aeryn Sun ( Farscape) both ex cops and love black leather ( I was torn between Aeryn and Susan Ivanova (Babylon5) for the kick arse chick but i went Aeryn for Crichton , one of the all time couples )

Hiring and firing from within Torchwood

I would keep - Ianto, Jack and Tosh

Fire - Gwen and Owen

Hire - Martha and Rhys

So, itsmeyousee, would "Ianto" and "Gwen" be getting together? LOL Only if they're Crichton and Aeryn!

OMG Indeed my poor little brain can't deal with such nightmarish thoughts LOL Noooooooooo connecting with Ianto and Gwen but i guess Crichton now has Angel LOL

I should have just stayed with Ivanova but Crichton and Aeryn are right up there with Jack and Ianto as one of the best Tv couples ever, so i didn't want to seperate them but never thought of your nightmarish vision LOL

I'm revising my list to keep my Torchwood favorites.

1) Ianto (field agent, archivist, etc...)

2) Tosh (tech, field agent)
3) John Crichton (tech, translator, field agent) Farscape - those translator microbes could come in handy.

4) Walter Bishop (Doctor, tech)  Fringe - this one I'm iffy about because he's more on the tech side of things.

5)  Sara (field agent, medical researcher) Arrow

bumping Felicity and Diggle from my list was hard.