Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Library

• Start Topic

Come back kitty vibes for AnnieF.

I enjoyed the new Muppets show for the most part. And, yes, Jim Henson always thought of the Muppets being for adults, so the 23,758 Moms should stick it (I believe in facts, so refuse to call the 1M moms organization by that name).

I remember when Raquel Welch guest starred and Piggy was upset until learning that Ms. Welch wanted to break away from her sex pot image. Yeah, nothing adult about that.

• Love 1

Annie F, just keep hoping. Mine has wandered off and come back. A friend of mine only has house cats and one ran away, it came back of its own accord a couple of weeks later.

I liked The Muppets, so yeah the moms can stick it from me too.

I watched Quantico, it's probably my favourite pilot so far. Also the cast are dazzlingly pretty.

• Love 1

Thanks for the good thoughts, but my hopes are not high. This cat has a routine, and for her to be off routine means she can't get back here. Hit by car, killed by coyote -- those are the most likely outcomes. Goddamnit. My guilt is spiking off the charts, even though I know it's not my fault. Not really. Shit.

I'm so sorry, AnnieF. That's a terrible feeling; I remember it from when my cat Q was missing years ago. Have you guys gone into the canyon to look/call for her? Maybe she tried to get back over the fence and is hanging out.

Cat returning vibes. Hope you get a happy return soon. Xxx

Kory's away this week so I will be all alone with the baby for the next five days. I could do with some major patience and 'vomit is funny' vibes :)

Edited by Erratic

My mantra when being puked on was "At least it's better than poop. Could be poop, is only barf. No worries." Of course that doesn't help much when you're pooped on, but them's the breaks. ;)

I feel fairly certain that the cat is gone. I...don't know what else to say. :(

I knew my "H" key was sticking!  Many promotional vibes for HARVESTER!!!!

Annief, hugs; I hope you are mistaken and that your kitty comes back very very soon.  hugs and love.

I've never had a mostly newborn for five days, erratic, but I will be Ohm-ing for you.  Hear me, ALF?  Stay healthy and happy and vomit free until your Dad gets home!

And vibes to everyone else.  And my cranky H key.

Edited by KittenPokerCheater

AnnieF, I hope your cat makes its way home and that you're feeling better.

Many vibes headed your way, Erratic.

Hmmm, interesting about the Muppets. I'll have to check it out.

Did anyone get a good view of the eclipse last night? It was cloudy most of the day and night but cleared up enough to get a decent view. Very cool.

Erratic, here's my best baby vomit story: When Chynette was about 9 months old, I had *just* finished feeding her pureed green beans when Mr. C came home from work. She was so excited to see him so he picked her up and swung her up over his head--and she puked green beans all over his face.

• Love 3

Why does he always wait until he has clean clothes on, I have clean clothes on, or I have just removed the rag before he pukes all over?

Babies just know. Call it instinct. Call it native intelligence. Call it an innate sense of awareness. But, they know that after doing it, you won't be able to stay mad at them b/c we are built to melt like a puddle to big-eyed, happy, crying, helpless infants. Or, they get offended by the way fresh clothes smell.

• Love 2
Why does he always wait until he has clean clothes on,

I guess ALF got the Memo; until further notice, all babies must spit up food only when clean clothes are present.

I wish there was footage of Mr. Chyna, getting green beaned.  Just thinking about it makes me giggle.  

Edited by KittenPokerCheater
Please tell me there is photographic evidence of this event. :)

I wish! Some of it actually got in his mouth (I know) so he handed Chynette to me faster than he'd ever done anything, so he could run to the bathroom.

Edited by Chyna
  • Love 1

I'm so sorry AnnieF. I am going to hold out hope for a little bit though because for some reason half a dozen neighbors' have lost their cats the past week and all have been successfully located, some after almost a week.

Love the green bean story. Oura involves walking down a major shopping avenue mid-summer (so baby only wearing onesie) when said baby let loose such a forceful #2 that it arced over the sidewalk and into the gutter.

LNB I love that you remember that about the muppets.

• Love 1

My long national nightmare is over (for the most part)! We moved my mom into a new Medicaid-funded assisted living facility today. Took much longer than I expected (both the process and today's move), but it will hopefully provide me with a huge sense of relief. I appreciate all the vibes, interests, and concerns y'all have expressed. It means a lot. Thanks.

• Love 9

Oh LnB, you are the best son ever.  The compassion and care you show your Mom is beyond Wonderful.  I am in awe.

I hope you will be able to take some time for yourself, now that the paperwork and move are (at least mostly) completed.

Many many many many many hugs to you.  

• Love 4

How is your mom liking the place so far?

Her only real complaint yesterday was over the coffee. She was told that the little cafe serves better coffee b/c it's not made at once for the entire population. So, I gave her $20 and told her that she can't buy more than one cup a month. Otherwise, she has a pretty quiet roommate who speaks mostly Spanish and only a little English. They placed her at a dining table with three others, two of whom are also pretty quiet. But, she did manage to get into a religious argument with the fourth person, so that's par for the course. I'm kidding. Slightly. He told her that he reads chapters from both the Old and New Testaments every day, asked her about her religion, and whether she believes in evolution. My mom used to teach chemistry at a time when teaching science required a belief in evolution. I suggested that if his conversation becomes strident she might want to discuss the weather. I will be talking to her over the weekend to find out how she's doing, get dirt on the roommate, to the extent that there's dirt to get on someone in their late 70s.

• Love 2

Loandbehold-   that is so great for your mom and especially you. I am relieved for you because we know how stressful it's been getting things done.

I took off today, my best friend's son is getting married.Church is at 3pm and reception at 6pm.  I feel so bad for her and the couple because the weather today is just the worst! Remnants of this latest hurricane makes for some disgusting conditions, rainy,windy and sooo damn cold! The cold is the worst for me,'cause I can't stand cold.   Hopefully they can laugh about it in years to come?

Too bad we won't even be able to enjoy the outside of the reception venue called The Venetian Yacht club, just look how pretty!  
At least my niece's wedding day had nice weather out in Oklahoma. It was about 78 degrees, so pretty perfect.   Pics on my FB if interested.

Erratic, I still say you should invest in a hazmat suit when changing little Alf.  :)

Sorry about your kitty AnnieF. I was hoping to hear some good news by now.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 1

I too was hoping to see some good kitty news.

The place for the reception looks great, too bad about the weather.

to the extent that there's dirt to get on someone in their late 70s.

You never know. Maybe she has a gruesome past.
  • Love 2

Yeah, I figure someone in their late 70s has way more dirt than someone younger. I'd be curious to know what the 1960s were like for them. If you were approaching 30 in 1968ish, were you already too old for the counterculture? Or did it just pass you by, like my mom and the Summer of Love. My mom was living in San Francisco during 1967, but the hippie explosion had no impact on her. And she was not approaching 30; she was 22!!

(A side note; my mom was also able to live in the city, in a 2-br apt with a roommate, while working as a switchboard operator for ATT. Semi-skilled work, but it paid enough, and rents were low enough, that that was perfectly adequate to cover living expenses. Amazing.)

Thanks for thoughts about the kitty. :(

• Love 1

Wow, Valny, that is a heck of a view. Not much to report here. Went to an outdoor concert last night in a beautiful stadium WPA-constructed. Good music but note to self: ixnay on outdoor concerts after September. Made a sort of xream of broccoli soup with some left-over veggies and I think it turned out OK so I am pleased.

• Love 1

New car report: the Prius drives like a small Japanese car. Amazing. Heh. Seriously, though, it's very fun to drive and I am enjoying having a car that has things that work, like windshield defrosters and dashboard indicator lights, and um, brakes. The responsiveness of the Prius's brakes makes me realize how crappy the Saturn's brakes had become. Glad to be out of that deathtrap.

In other news, I have mailed in my application for a NV medical marijuana card. Dispensaries are already open here in town. FINALLY. There's a 6-week backlog in getting the applications processed, because of course there is, but nevertheless, I've got the ball rolling. Hallelujah.

How's everyone doing? Big huge mega vibes go out to KPC for her not-dad. Cancer is such a bastard.

• Love 3

Glad you're enjoying the new car, AnnieF. I'm at the tipping point with mine, but have been delaying getting a new one. I'm probably not going to be able to wait much longer though.

Work has been icky lately. I think I need to schedule a long weekend or something. I've been only taking a day off here or there, but that doesn't really cut it. Other than that, things have been fairly quiet. So no complaints there.

It seems that vibes are needed for KPC so I'm sending a bunch your way and to anyone else who may need them.

• Love 2

Our second car, the one that Mr. C only drives 15 minutes each way to work, is having issues and we can't decide whether to fix it or not. He's looking for another job, so we're hoping that he'll be able to just take public transportation and we can get rid of this junk heap. But if it will be cheap to fix, it might be worth it? Argh.

I guess the question is if it costs more to fix it than the general upkeep costs.   But I am pragmatic; cars don't have to be super cool crazy price tags attached.  They just need to get from hither to yon; have AC and a radio.  

Cars;  I always thought that if I had a house and only needed to toodle around town for groceries and things, one of those mini-mini-mini coopers would be good.  I think of them like duckling babies: If you feed them well and look after them, they will grow up into BIG duck/Car,

Yes, I am weird, why did you ask?

I hope your mom is getting the good coffee LandB.

How is everyone doing?

I have been a little MIA lately, but I do read the board. Today I went to court with my friend who has the domestic violence situation. Can I tell you how deeply unimpressed I am with the court system? To call it a hot mess is to dishonor all hot messes.

When it comes to domestic violence cases, I think all courts are hot messes.

My 97 (and a half) y.o. Grandma passed away yesterday. Not exactly unexpected, but still sad.

Edited by trudi-tru

So sorry about your nonna, trudi.

Yesterday I had the one millionth meeting with counselors/teachers about the F-ster. Siiiiiiigh. Happily they were all on the same page as me: we've all done everything we can for you, kid, so now it is 100% on you to get your act together. Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh. He took the PSAT yesterday, said the English part was easy and the math was completely incomprehensible. Yep, that's my kid. ;)

Can I tell you how deeply unimpressed I am with the court system?

I got completely disillusioned several years ago when I was a juror in a murder trial in LA County. The defendant was guilty as hell, we convicted him of murder, this was the obvious, inevitable outcome, why the hell did this come to trial? All of us on the jury were amazed that we were even there, because the guy was very, very obviously guilty. His public defender was a joke, and at a few points during testimony the judge was asleep. Yay, our American justice system. :(

• Love 1