Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Library

• Start Topic

(edited)

That is a creepy story.  I would like have independent verification, though.  Thus said, I love a creepy ghost story.

Darkpool, I understand what you are saying.  It's like when I see a horror movie, I spend the rest of the night/evening certain that the vengeful ghost/man with a hook for hand   is going to jump out at me.

Sorry about the insect invasions and other home headaches.  Many happy headache household vibes.

It's sticky and rainy and generally ick.  I might take myself to see the Avengers tonight.  I'm the only person on the planet who hasn't seen it yet, so I wonder if I will be the only person in the theatre.  Which will be a weird feeling.  

No work these days, but I very much appreciate the vibes and hope they pay off soon.

Edited by KittenPokerCheater
  • Love 2

I'm the only person on the planet who hasn't seen it yet

Nope. My lack of interest in superheroes as a genre means moi aussi. Plus so many movies give me motion sickness anymore that it's better for me to watch things on a TV screen, so I pretty much don't ever go out to a movie these days. I'm trying to remember the last movie I saw in a theater. Hmm. Drawing a blank. That Paul Giamatti wine movie, maybe?

I am so with you on the skepticism, but this was a confidential e-mail report to my sister who is not one to ever dabble with supernatural bullshit. She is a very level headed person who basically told me that she really felt no need to embellish this story.

It is what it is: a great story that she is unable to ever share.

I watched 'Mad Max' yesterday. I mean, it was a good action flick, but I don't get the crazy love for it.

I have 'Avengers' recorded, but haven't got around to watching it yet. I will. Soon.

OITNB seems to have lost its shine too. I'm slowly watching it, but it seems to have lost its way.

Jesus Erratic.  Creep me the heck out true or not. 

I haven't seen Avengers yet either.

Buffydaughter is now watching One Tree Hill.  OMG it makes The Vampire Diaries look like high art.  Remember the discussion regarding Gunn's character and portrayal on Angel?  Well pity the poor black actor dude on OTH because in contrast, JAR's role was Shakespearean.

Buffydaughter is now watching One Tree Hill.

Of all the shows she could catch up on, that is what she chooses?

Erratic, that story sounds so crazy. I'm really curious what's behind it, sounds way too elaborate for the caseworker to make up just to get reassigned.

• Love 1
I was walking my dogs in the woods once and I heard someone approching. When I turned around and saw that he was a man, I immediately went all defensive, to the point that he asked if he could get closer.

I felt so bad afterwards, cause he obviously did not have any bad intention, he just happened to pass there at the same time I was.

I'm of the "better safe than sorry" school of thought on this, trudi. Women in particular are so concerned with making nice and not offending anyone that we often *don't* get defensive when we should. So if some innocent person gets startled once in a while but you keep yourself safe, so be it.

We had an apocalyptic rainstorm here yesterday. The girls and I went to the movies (Pitch Perfect 2!) when it was cloudy, came out to a major downpour, and by the time we got home, the tornado sirens were going off. Apparently, a funnel cloud was spotted in the sky a few miles away, but fortunately, it never touched down. A few people got some water in their basements, but the biggest concern was whether people's cable/satellite/TV would go out during the Blackhawks game. :)

Okay, I had a thought about that creepy story. I have a rational explanation that keeps everyone else involved's integrity:

If the young social worker believes in supernatural stuff and possession, and if she was creeped out by the old lady's behaviour, her sub conscious could convince her that demon possession was responsible, and the power of suggestion could've created an hysterical reaction that led her to believe that she herself was now being possessed by the lady.

Reassignment is not reason enough to lie, but if she believes that this happened, reassignment would be her only solution.

Justified!

• Love 3

Yes, that's pretty much exactly what I imagine went down. Humans are so, so good at tricking ourselves, and our brains are very easy to fool.

Just got a buncha lidocaine shots in my shoulder, 'cause I've had horrendously painful muscle spasms since last week. Let's hope the shots work the first time (sometimes round two is required). This growing older thing is for the birds, I swear. :)

• Love 2
(edited)

Sending you pain free shoulder vibes Annief[/]!  Erratic, I want to believe that it happened.  I truly do.  I'm just...skeptical.  But I have to allow for the possibility that it did happen, and certainly things have happened to me in my life that I can't explain.  

There was also that time I mysteriously lost a kidney after I met up with some of you...looks around suspiciously.

I'm of the "better safe than sorry" school of thought

I have this.  Whenever a stranger approaches to ask something, I automatically take a couple of steps back so as to put more space between them and me so they can't grab me. 

Has anyone else seen the Amy Schumer online video where all the women are apologizing?  It's great- and we women definitely apologize too much.  Sorry for pointing that out.

I haven't seen the avengers, but I saw Jurassic World today.  It was surprisingly good.  The story is its usualness, but Chris Pratt!  And the fx were cool.  There were moments when I forgot the dinosaurs weren't real.  I'm also very gullible.  Has anyone else seen Jurassic World?  What did you think?

No work as of yet, but I *might* have something for saturday.  I can't count on it, but it could be very cool to get it, for my bank account if nothing else.  So thank you for the lies

• Love 1

Hope the first round of shots do the trick and you're feeling better soon, AnnieF.

Haven't seen Jurassic World. Glad you enjoyed it, KPC. Lots more work vibes headed your way.

We are definitely stalled on the house. Don't know if this will work out. Blergh. There has been no communication for too long. Our attorney contacted theirs and we're waiting to hear back. Big old knot in my stomach.

Haven't seen a post from Earl recently. How are things going, Earl?

• Love 1
(edited)

God. sorry for the vague, but I am dealing with a truly awful family situation. I can use all the vibes I can get. If you can spare any, please send them to me and my sister.

Edited by Harvester
(edited)

Family vibes to Harvester and sister. You know we'll be here or in the other place if you need to talk.

Work vibes for KPC.

There was also that time I mysteriously lost a kidney after I met up with some of you...looks around suspiciously.

I have an alibi, and so does everyone else who absolutely wasn't there at the time.

Humans are so, so good at tricking ourselves, and our brains are very easy to fool.

My brain tricked me pretty good once. I had a "ghost encounter" that only lasted a couple of seconds. I was in college, working late in the art building on a project. All alone. After midnight. Just me and empty building noises. And then I heard a woman's voice whisper my name and I looked around to see a skeletal figure standing right behind me!!!

The woman's voice was an auditory hallucination. I get them when I'm tired; it was neither the first nor the last time it happened. The skeletal figure was an actual human skeleton hanging in a glass case, used for anatomic reference. I knew it was there; I just forgot about it. So I had a second or so of hair-bristling panic before my fatigue-clouded brain put everything together.

Edited by Darkpool
  • Love 3

I love that you spoiler tagged the last part. Heh.

I'm of the "better safe than sorry" school of thought on this, trudi. Women in particular are so concerned with making nice and not offending anyone that we often *don't* get defensive when we should. So if some innocent person gets startled once in a while but you keep yourself safe, so be it.

Absolutely. It's just that random assault by stranger is very rare. Most of the time, women are assaulted by people they already know. Yet, it's iingrained in our minds that we have to be on constant lookout for potential assailants.

There was also that time I mysteriously lost a kidney after I met up with some of you...

Last summer I was handed a misterious package to smuggle out of the country...

Fingers crossed for the job, KPC.

Vibes for harvester and her sister.

• Love 1

Major family vibes to you and your sister Harvester , with a side of work-booking vibes to KPC .

I doing fine, Endeavor , thanks for asking. I just haven't had much to write home about going on lately and am feeling rather blah. I hope you hear back from the buyers and the house sale gets moving in the right direction soon. That's such a stressful waiting game I don't envy anyone who goes through it.

• Love 2
(edited)

Vibing hard for Harvester and her sister.

Pain-free vibes to AnnieF.

Estate-sorting and grief-dealing vibes to CKO and family.

Job vibes to KPC

Closing vibes to Endeavour

And lots of love and vibes at the rest of you!

Edited by Erratic
  • Love 1

Vibing hard for Harvester and her sister.

Pain-free vibes to AnnieF.

Estate-sorting and grief-dealing vibes to CKO and family.

Job vibes to KPC

Closing vibes to Endeavour

And lots of love and vibes at the rest of you!

That about covers it. So, ditto. And, sprinkle in a couple of new baby vibes for yourself, Erratic.

• Love 2

Thritto. Vibing like mad.

I get auditory hallucinations when tired, too, and since I had kids, they're always the same: one of my kids has just said "Mom!" This has led, at times, to me checking their beds to be sure that they are asleep, because damn if that "Mom!" didn't sound real.

• Love 2
(edited)
I can use all the vibes I can get. If you can spare any, please send them to me and my sister.

Many many many many many andimantium strength good and comforting vibes coming your way harvester.  We're here for you.

I can attest that the MM vibes work, because I have e a job tomorrow!  It's going to be an over-nighter, but it's a job!  And I am so very thankful for it.  And thank you, wonderful amazing awesome sauce vibes for you all- It;s nice to know that I have a bunch of friends out there in the stratosphere.  

Also extra extra-licious vibes for cko, Annie, LnB, and endeavor.

As a kid I read a ghost story that had a poltergeist in- once it realized the people in the house were nice, champagne on ice and rare gold coins started randomly showing up, and other good things.  So I hope that if there are any ghosts/auditory hallucinations/things that go bump in the nights in our lives, that they ones like that nice and slightly mischievous poltergeist.

• Love 3

From me too - vibes from Dubai, where Ramadan just kicked off (I'm not fasting, but it's a fascinating cultural experience to go through, or should be, I think).

I watched Jurassic World yesterday too. Chris Pratt was good in it, but that Bryce lady - I think she's a good actress but she scared me when I saw her first appear. I'll say that this seems to be more an action adventure first romp, while the original was more about suspense, if that makes sense. I think the first one was more iconic, but I probably like this one better?

• Love 1

Big blanket vibes to all.

Yay for work KPC! Hope it's something interesting.

Hey Erratic, Cake is now available on Netflix if you want to see it again! :)

I see the forget spell has worn off.

I got the dreaded blue screen of death on my laptop the other day. Bought it in to work and showed it to our IT guy, but he couldn't solve anything with the time he had, so I am going to try to do what I did a few years ago when I had some other wonky pc issues, and that is restoring the hard drive like when it was new. Just have to copy pics and music to flash drive first. I don't really have anything else worth saving.  So I hope it helps this time too. fingers crossed.

The awful family drama took another wretched turn. I will know more tomorrow, but I could use all of the vibes you have. I don't need people to post anything, but since your vibes have helped before, I am selfish enough to ask for more.

I will post the whole awful story soon in the other place. A major decision should be made by tomorrow morning.

Major vibes and hugs and good energy to harvester, sister, and family.

Sorry (lol) I've been a bit absent--reading but not writing, y'know. My college roomie stayed with us this weekend from SoCal--her dad is in a care facility only a few miles from our house, so that worked out--she was able to spend time with him, check out his situation, and then come over and debrief, drink wine, smoke, and rant. As you do.

Pain vibes to AnnieF and I'll quadritto the vibes post above.

I haven't seen Ultron either, but I loved Mad Max with a passion unrivalled.

(edited)

Many vibes to you and your sister, Harvester.

I got the dreaded blue screen of death on my laptop the other day. Bought it in to work and showed it to our IT guy, but he couldn't solve anything with the time he had, so I am going to try to do what I did a few years ago when I had some other wonky pc issues, and that is restoring the hard drive like when it was new. Just have to copy pics and music to flash drive first. I don't really have anything else worth saving. So I hope it helps this time too. fingers crossed.

A restore should work. Glad you're able to get your pics and music. I never back up my computer and really should or at least save the important items to another drive.

Anyone watching Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel? I'm not loving it but will stick with it for a while to see where it goes.

Edited by Endeavour
(edited)

More vibes to you Harvester . It is never selfish to ask for more vibes, especially for loved ones.

Voted and thought of you when I saw that KPC .

I had to drive two and a half traffic heavy hours into Jersey for a meeting this morning, so I am treating myself to a vacation day tomorrow. I am so spoiled by my usual 20 minute back-road commute it's not funny.

Edited by Earl Is Dead
  • Love 1

We love you too, harvester. And we're going to keep vibing till we crash whatever it is that's hurting you and your family.

I think you lost, KPC.

I never back up my computer

A bad habit I used to have, till I lost everything. Now I periodically store the things I want to keep in an external hard drive.

Anyone watching Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel?

No, but I'm watching Wayward Pines. What the hell? is all I can say.

• Love 1

I lost!  Spike and I...lost!  I'm okay with not winning but to lose to Saved By the Bell? To Jessie Spano?!!bitter tears.

But more importantly, continued vibes to Harvester.

And to everyone else who might need/want them.  

I don't back up my computer enough, but I have started to.  I'm still not sure how to restore things, but at least I know it's there, all ready to go.  I need to replace my 2009 Macbook, but right now it's not in the budget.

Hope no one is sweltering or freezing.  NYC doesn't really get thunderstorms, but we could seriously use one.

Hugs and vibes for you, Harvester, and anyone else feeling the need. :)

Summer in Tucson makes me crabby and so, so, so lazy. I'm trying to tell myself it's okay to not clean anything when the inside temperature is over 80 degrees.

• Love 1
(edited)

Vibes to Harvester and all who need them.

I had to drive two and a half traffic heavy hours into Jersey for a meeting this morning, so I am treating myself to a vacation day tomorrow. I am so spoiled by my usual 20 minute back-road commute it's not funny.

Maybe you were somewhere close to where I am. Next time you have to trek to NJ, maybe we could meet for lunch or something. Always interested in meeting more people from here.

No, but I'm watching Wayward Pines. What the hell? is all I can say.

What the hell enough to keep watching? Tell us more.

Summer in Tucson makes me crabby and so, so, so lazy. I'm trying to tell myself it's okay to not clean anything when the inside temperature is over 80 degrees.

Sounds perfectly logical to me. My weather app said it was in the 90s today but "felt like 101". It was brutal.

Unfortunately, looks like the house deal is falling through. I should know for sure tomorrow. What really stings is that we lost another offer in the process while dealing with these people who appear to be playing games. So frustrating

Edited by Endeavour
What the hell enough to keep watching? Tell us more.

I'm not sure to be honest. I will watch the whole series cause it's only 10 episodes and I'm already halfway through. I guess by the end I'll be able to tell you whether or not it's worth checking out.

What do you think, val? I know you're watching too, cause I saw you posting in the series thread. Yes, she posts in other threads. She's a traitor! A traitor!

That sucks, Endeavour. Is there a way that you can get back the offer you lost?

harvester, you have all my love and support.

• Love 1