Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, nachomama said:

I think a lot of things british are weird.

As a proud to be weird Englishman I have to agree, baking was always part of Wifey’s duties back in ‘those days’, now I don’t think kids leave school able to boil an egg so Mary Berrys are not the norm. I like The Hairy Bikers, the male equivalent of TFL, they take the snobbery out of the cooking world, calling themselves cooks and not chefs, giving idiots like myself the hope of cooking something actually edible.

I’m with Clam on the grapefruit combo 🤢

• Love 1
(edited)

I know the thing I never liked about guacamole when I was a kid was cilantro. I love a good guac NOOOOO CILANTRO!

I will have to look for the Hairy Bikers because I like a cook not a chef, just something tasty and for bob's sake don't pretty up the plate like 2 tiny carrots a couple peas and then drizzle a sauce or a damn decorative flower. Put some damn food on the plate and it will be pretty. none of this art crap

Edited by nachomama
42 minutes ago, nachomama said:

I know the thing I never liked about guacamole when I was a kid was cilantro.

You mean Coriander! Surely the food of the Gods, stir fried coriander adorned with a coriander glaze, set upon a bed of coriander infused rice partnered by a coriander jus……….. Mmmmmm  mmmmmmm😛😛😛

The Hairy Bikers have several Tv series, some experiencing cooking from around the world, some based on the best ingredients available in the UK and good traditional home cooking. Although I hate the guy with a passion, Jamie Oliver does have some programmes based on simple, basic cooking for not a lot of money, they’re worth a look if you’re not into fancy BS cooking. 

55 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

You mean Coriander! Surely the food of the Gods, stir fried coriander adorned with a coriander glaze, set upon a bed of coriander infused rice partnered by a coriander jus……….. Mmmmmm  mmmmmmm😛😛😛

Can't stand it. Not as coriander, not as cilantro. Not in a jar, not in a car. Not in a bed, not with Fred. I do not like green leaves, my man. I do not like them, Maggie fan! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

in no particular order things I shall never eat bananas, cilantro, bell peppers, apricots, black eyed peas, sweet potatoes

I've come a long way, as a child I wouldn't eat avocadoes, shrimp or mushrooms and all three are among my favorites.

I did say "hey adult pallette, perhaps you should give these things another try" and so I ate a banana each day for breakfast until I barfed on Thursday and so I was convinced bananas are not my thing.

I've watched some Jaime Oliver, I watched Nigella. There was a show very briefly about a pub guy/pub food. Don't care for Gordon Ramsay.

Still haven't started my acorn tv subscription. I think I'm one of those Britain-o-philes.

13 minutes ago, nachomama said:

cilantro, bell peppers, sweet potatoes

With you on these. Raw tomatoes? I can. not. have them near me. Not on my plate. I can't physically put one in my mouth. 

There are plenty of other foods I'd just rather not. I can skip olives. 

Oh, eggs specifically runny eggs. When I see cooking shows and they put a sunny side egg on a burger or something and then cut into the yolk. Totally barf inducing. NOPE

I can eat scrambled eggs but they must have enough cheese and salsa and whatever else is handy so they do not taste like eggs.

I'll take an olive, I tend to like tart/sour things. I want a crisp tart apple I DO NOT want a red pithy apple. I get real mad if I go to a diner/deli where you get a pickle with your sandwich and they don't give me my pickle. GIVE ME THE PICKLE. Speaking of I went to sonic because they have a pickle burger, it's got fried pickles on it. It was aiight. no big whoop.

12 minutes ago, nachomama said:

Oh, eggs specifically runny eggs. When I see cooking shows and they put a sunny side egg on a burger or something and then cut into the yolk. Totally barf inducing. NOPE

Me Too Girl GIF by Hollie Kitchens

20 hours ago, Superclam said:

Can't stand it. Not as coriander, not as cilantro. Not in a jar, not in a car. Not in a bed, not with Fred. I do not like green leaves, my man. I do not like them, Maggie fan! 

Ooooooooook, I was going to mention the delights of Holy Basil but I think I’ll pass 🌱🌱

• LOL 1

I used to hate basil and specifically pesto. But I had to issue a formal apology to pesto.  Still don't like it in heaping amounts but a little pesto stirred into a sauce I enjoy. I had an aunt who made pesto from scratch and would eat spoonfuls. blergh. Maybe she just had shitty pesto? She was an odd woman. While I stayed with them in Seattle, in high school, we had all kinds of weird stuff. I ate shark which not super weird, not something you were not getting in New Mexico on the regular. One night she starts making hamburger patties and I think we are going to having something normal for dinner. AU CONTRAIRE MON FRERE! She carmellized some onions and chopped a stalk of celery. I shit you not she stir fried the celery. That was it, the whole "side veg" celery in butter. She cooked the hamburger patties maybe 2 minutes on each side and put the carmellized onions on top. Raw hamburger patties with celery on the side. Is this a thing???!

I want a steak medium rare, I'm great with pink. I'll take a pink burger. She barely browned it on top!

• LOL 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Superclam said:

I'm totally fine with basil. 

But it’s a green leaf 😱😱, I’m as confused as the series 7 Fear script writers. Has anyone actually discovered the reason for the existence of celery? Seriously is there a reason? 
The whole steak tartare thing baffles me, raw beef mixed with raw egg and onion, how many ways to contract tapeworm do you want to put on one plate? 
I just blame the French as usual, mon dieu!

Edited by OoohMaggie

celery and cucumbers are useless foods to me. Watermelon technically also contains nothing but at least it's tasty. I hate celery. What is this ants on a log thing? IT's bullshit is what it is. Pretending celery is fun. No way jose

• LOL 2

Cucumbers are another delicious delight to me, watermelons, if it’s those red fleshed with dark pips affairs then I’m afraid they do nothing for me. I love the sweet yellow skinned melons from the Med, mmmmm,mmmm.
Ants on a log 🤔 do tell, sounds intriguing.

ants on a log is where you put peanut butter on celery and then raisins, the ants are the raisins. It's an abomination! they call it a "treat" for kids. NOPE not gone do it. disgusting.

• Love 1

celery has no taste! it only has stringy bits. We can grow a watermelon without seeds but we can't get rid of the strings on celery? Although Raisins are an abomination as well. I might also still be traumatized by the sauteed celery from my aunt. but celery is useless.

If you order wings do you eat the celery or carrots? I'm guessing they're supposed to cool down your mouth if they're hot wings but no one eats the dingdang celery!

5 hours ago, nachomama said:

ants on a log is where you put peanut butter on celery and then raisins, the ants are the raisins. It's an abomination! they call it a "treat" for kids. NOPE not gone do it. disgusting.

I was hoping it was from one of those countries where actual ants were consumed, peanut butter,celery and raisins………… that’s beyond weird, yet I’m sure if it were put on the menu of a Michelin starred restaurant, the pompous twats would happily pay however many 000’s you cared to add to the bill. 

On 5/24/2022 at 2:13 PM, nachomama said:

She cooked the hamburger patties maybe 2 minutes on each side and put the carmellized onions on top. Raw hamburger patties with celery on the side. Is this a thing???!

Only in the ER.  I love my steaks rarer than blood rare - “blue rare”, I think they call it - but, hamburger???  Aw hell naw - not unless a rousing case of E. coli is something you’re looking to scratch off your bucket list.

On 5/26/2022 at 7:10 PM, Nashville said:

I love my steaks rarer than blood rare - “blue rare”, I think they call it

That’s too near seeing a pulse running through it for me, are you into Steak Tartare?

On 5/26/2022 at 3:22 PM, nachomama said:

If you order wings do you eat the celery or carrots?

You get celery and carrots with wings? Why is the only question that springs to mind, is it a vain attempt to ward off possibilities of obesity and heart disease through excessive wing consumption? 🤔

59 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

is it a vain attempt to ward off possibilities of obesity and heart disease

Sir, these are the United States of America. We NEVER ward off obesity or heart disease. 

American Wrestling GIF

• LOL 3

Happy Memorial day. I watched Stranger Things 4 and made the error of watching "Mare of Easttown". Don't get me wrong it's very good but Lord have mercy it's depressing. Give me a gorgon monster!

• Love 1
On 5/28/2022 at 3:12 PM, OoohMaggie said:

That’s too near seeing a pulse running through it for me, are you into Steak Tartare?

I’d prefer the E. coli singed off the outside, but beyond that…?  
When the server asks me “You want it how rare?”, my usual response is “Scare it with a Bic lighter.”

• LOL 1

I have a friend who likes things more rare than restaurants are willing to do. There are *symbols stating "eating raw or uncooked foods blah blah" and he wants his burger rarer than they feel is safe. I'm kind of a medium rare.

Tomorrow embarks my most difficult 2 weeks to date. My "good" boss is going to Italy from June 3 to the 13th so that leaves neanderthal boy in charge and it's graduation season. We have all the graduation programs in and fired up on the plate maker. If all goes well all he gotta do is print them and we collate and finish. There are 8,000 due on one day. Some are due on the 10th others are not due until the 18th. but if anything goes wrong...lord help us all. They are notorious for last minute changes "oh we forgot the key note speaker! We forgot the entire nursing department" supposedly all care has been taken that these things will not happen. but it's up to me for all changes that may take place. Neanderthal cannot do what I do (nor can I do what he does) but he insists I'm too stupid to live and that everything that comes out of my mouth is a lie. (just because you don't agree with my words doesn't mean they are a lie) He threatens me on the regular "JUST DO WHAT I SAY OR GO HOME THOSE ARE THE CHOICES" but so help me bob if he does it while his brother is gone I will walk and good luck getting your shit done then buddy. Over the weekend everything got erased off the plate maker server and had to be re-sent back. If that happens again we are screwed.

That's why I'm taking my mini vacation from the 16-19, I'm sure I will need plenty of wind down time. Going to Atlanta to see Alison Krause and Zack Brown band.

• Love 2
On 5/31/2022 at 4:20 PM, nachomama said:

but he insists I'm too stupid to live and that everything that comes out of my mouth is a lie. (just because you don't agree with my words doesn't mean they are a lie) He threatens me on the regular "JUST DO WHAT I SAY OR GO HOME THOSE ARE THE CHOICES"

What’s that thing you guys over there are so fond of,  a lawsuit is that what it’s called? I’d be getting a hidden microphone and recorder and let him have at it, idiots are so easy to wind up 🤯

If we had an HR I'd def complain but we don't. IT's a family owned business. I've been here 11 years and never once had a raise. (My boss can vacation in ITaly but I can't get a raise in 10 years) I'm trying to phase out, go full time with the other job but I'm not sure how steady it is. They just fired several because we are "overstaffed". Anybody wanna hit the lottery for me? I won't need a lot. :D

Day 1 of "my boss is out of town" one of the graduation programs has not been finalized. On the 31st he sent an email giving her the deadline. No response. I check with her and she whines that she's been working soooooooooooo hard on it and positively by the end of the day she'll have me the changes. Which means it can't hit a press until Monday. It's due thursday. Then there's a car dealership and we did them 50 signs for the "festival" tomorrow. It's 12:30 and she says she needs 1000 tri fold brochures for the event. ....I do not have artwork. Between 1 and 4 I'm supposed to print 1000 and get them folded. (the dudes in the back are currently folding other graduation programs) so me and an 83 year old lady will tackle trying to hand fold 1000 brochures.

I predict great things for this vacation!

(edited)
On 6/1/2022 at 4:51 PM, nachomama said:

I've been here 11 years and never once had a raise.

Either you were outrageously overpaid then or they are taking the piss out of you now,  this doesn’t sound good. I was looking for a suitable emoji to your comment but it seems as though the asylum has finally been stormed          😱😱😱 

Edited by OoohMaggie

It was underpaid then and underpaid now. My fault, this guy was my friend and offered me a job when I desperately needed one. Didn't know he was a cheap bastard.

Got job 1 done for the lady and the ALL-DACITY she calls me at 3 "oh we sent the wrong flyer the other day can we get 300 of those reprinted?" Oh sweet jesus on a cracker. And this stupid "festival" is taking place in my back yard. My house sits behind a big park and they gonna have food trucks and bouncy houses and raffle prizes etc. I feel like I should be getting some free stuff.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 1
(edited)

Apparently it’s our wonderful  Monarch’s jubilee tomorrow, so I hope Angela Hamilton (hellooooo if you’re still out there) is readying something soft to kneel upon to pay homage to the glorious one 🤢🤢🤣😂

93D9B228-1546-48EB-8A19-4914EF11876A.jpeg

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, nachomama said:

Happy Jubileeing! You know she's single now you can swoop in and wine and dine her and get in the will, take over the whole business.

Seriously, she's loaded and will probably die soon. 

• Like 1
On 6/1/2022 at 11:51 AM, nachomama said:

If we had an HR I'd def complain but we don't. IT's a family owned business. I've been here 11 years and never once had a raise. (My boss can vacation in ITaly but I can't get a raise in 10 years) I'm trying to phase out, go full time with the other job but I'm not sure how steady it is. They just fired several because we are "overstaffed". Anybody wanna hit the lottery for me? I won't need a lot. :D

The purpose of HR is to protect the company, not the employee. I had an hour and a half sexual harassment prevention training seminar today. 

• Wink 1
17 hours ago, Superclam said:

Seriously, she's loaded and will probably die soon. 

She’d die with a smile on her face though 😏

The only trouble is we’ve got that philandering, plant talking fool ready to jump in 🙄

17 hours ago, Superclam said:

I had an hour and a half sexual harassment prevention training seminar today. 

Was she worth it? 😬

• LOL 2

I didn't watch any of the Jubilee but the recaps on the news I saw a projection in the carriage and Louis misbehaving and being sassy to his mother Kate. I laughed.

I'm getting my steps in today. Colating these graduation programs, up/down up/down back and forth. if there's 5000 programs I'm sure I'm up at least a dozen times per thousand. We are 2 days ahead (graduation Friday) and they were harassing us this morning could they get any today? Then they came and picked up 300 ish so they can be doing stuff over at the convention center. Oi vey

• Love 2

My sister sent me a text, has not been in contact since Nov 22...to tell me her friends mom died. I laughed (not because the lady died) because she didn't bother to tell me our own sister died but rando's mom was a hot topic.

Also my modem died. I've had no internet since Saturday afternoon, they tell me my box was damaged by lightning but I was sitting right there, the power went out, no more major than any other power flickerage but tv came back, computer came back modem kept blinking red. All of them plugged into surge protector. I insisted it did not get damaged but eventually told them go ahead and send the modem. IT's still red so I guess I was wrong. but dang do you know how hard it is to live without wifi these days? I can't even watch tv. My remote died several years ago and I've been using an app on my phone...can't do that so cant' watch my sling or hulu or netflix. I HAVE TO WATCH REGULAR BROADCAST TV...THE HORROR!

• Mind Blown 1
(edited)
On 6/13/2022 at 3:32 PM, Nashville said:

Well, it’s FB-official now: I’m gonna be a granddaddy.  😎👍🏻

Congratulations 👏🥳🍻🍾 and you thought your own offspring was the biggest drain on your wallet ever known 😂🤣, enjoy!

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Speaking of drains upon the wallet, today I paid $11 for a gallon of diesel, admittedly the UK gallon is slightly larger than the US but FFS, it’ll be cheaper to buy a field and grow corn Hilltop style soon 🙄😭

1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

Speaking of drains upon the wallet, today I paid $11 for a gallon of diesel, admittedly the UK gallon is slightly larger than the US but FFS, it’ll be cheaper to buy a field and grow corn Hilltop style soon 🙄😭

The only thing I can think to say on the subject which won’t get me a ding from the mods is - how about them Titans?  😁

• LOL 1
On 6/15/2022 at 9:10 PM, Nashville said:

The only thing I can think to say on the subject which won’t get me a ding from the mods is - how about them Titans?  😁

Ooooohhhhh I get it, it was the Titans that threw me 🙄, it’s been a long week 🤕

• LOL 1

Well we got rained out. Robert plant and Alison krauss. They got about 4 songs in and someone came on stage to evacuate us. It’s an outdoor venue and lightning was threatened. So we stood around for about an hour. I did have the forethought to buy a rain poncho, hat and umbrella.  So I stood in the downpour while others hunkered under awnings. Clearly they were not coming back out to finish. Called an Uber. Magical dude named Anthony came and saved us from drownding. It was an ankle deep river coming down the hill at us as we climbed to where the Uber pickup stand was. Glory be he was driving a Tesla! I told dude I’m so sorry I’m getting your back seat all wet and not in a good way. Omg sincerely there were sooooooo many women at this concert in sun dresses and no bra! One girl….I shit you not literary just had her tiddies  bound up in like a pashmina shawl. And she had on the shortest booty shorts! We saw her cheeks peeking out and I swear there was not even enough “shorts” to provide a thong. I was like girl gone need a tetitnus shot in her hoodyhaw from sitting on metal chairs!!!! I wanted desperately to see her once the rain came down. Oh oh oh and right before the concert started a woman right in front of us had some kind of seizure. I’m looking at her and her head was back and she was super white. Mouth hanging open as soon as I said “is she having a seizure?” About 4 people leaped up one lady seemed to be medically inclined. One dude ran for security and security summoned medics. I was actually impressed with humanity..they sprang into action to help. She was coming around as medics arrived and seemed alert but they did escort her to medical tent or whatever. The lady kinda commented “she is high” so perhaps she took something. So I have had an eventful day! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2