Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Best New Girl

maraleia

In a flashback, Mort escapes with friend Mark (Bradley Whitford) to a cross-dressing retreat in the woods, and becomes captivated with a very accepting woman named Connie (Michaela Watkins). Left alone after cancelling her Bat Mitzvah, 13-year-old Ali finds trouble with an older man at the beach.

• Love 1

It made me smile and feel so hopeful when Mort/Maura (well, 'Daphne Sparkles') first met Mark/Marcie. Their budding friendship as 'best girlfriends' was not just sweet but so accurate especially for those early internet days. Going to the crossdresser's retreat together and realizing for the first time (probably) that as much as they have in common (or think they do) they are really on different paths. Mark/Marcie is a crossdresser (as we are lead to think at this point, anyway) and Mort/Maura is a transsexual. That said, there is an old joke in the M2F trans community: q: what's the difference between a crossdresser and a transsexual? a: about two years. I'm wondering if their friendship survived this weekend in the woods. I really hope so as I thought Bradely Whitford's work as Mark/Marcie was wonderful and very, very touching.

I've binge watched the entire series but, in many ways, this is the real stand-out episode. Brilliant work by all across the boards.

• Love 7

Loved this episode, too. Great casting for the younger Pf's.

What a horrible feeling to still feel outside - when you think you've found the best place to blend.

Bradley Whitford still resembles Betty White to me.  Them dimples, man.

• Love 2

Bradley Whitford was definitely the MVP of this episode. I love his dimples, and the sweetness he brings to Marcy. I felt so sad for him when all that palpable joy started to evaporate at the getaway as Maura started flirting with the wife.

I was touched by Ali's trip down memory lane, and so very very glad the guy turned out NOT to be a child molester. Especially right on the heels of watching the babysitter go off with Josh (and that entire story skeeves me out so badly I can barely watch).

To echo the recapper, it's very interesting to me that we continue to watch Ali manipulate her own reality. It's very true to the character and has helped me to understand and relate to her a bit more.

• Love 3