Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Meridian

SUMMARY; Dax falls in love with Deral who will soon disappear because he is a member of Meridian, a planet that phases between dimensions every 60 years.

I hate this episode.

Not to the extent of "Move Along Home" or "Profit and Lace", perhaps. 

But it's up there.

• Love 1

I agree mostly. The "main" storyline I could careless about, since even on first watch it was clear that she wasn't going to leave with that guy.

The only redeeming part of this episode is the B storyline, with Kira, Odo and Quark. I love how Odo and Kira play a prank on that guy Quark was trying to make money from lol. And you get a hit on what would happen if Odo tried to eat.

• Love 2

This is part of the "Dax Syndrome" of the first 3 (or so) seasons, where they're really not sure what to do with her, or how to characterize her. (I"m not sure how much of it was due to the actualy and how much was due to Farrell's inability to convey any sense emotion onscreen without seeming "Fake"; it's only when

Worf joins the cast

that they start to figure out an arc/character for her.

Of course, my perceptions of this episode could also be colored since I can't watch it without thinking of "Brigadoon", which is, IMO, a near-perfect movie.

I will agree with Blueray that the "B-Plot" does almost salvage this episode. I think Kira/Oda/Quark had great chemistry together onscreen.

• Love 1

While I do not remotely agree with what Quark is trying to do, I still find it a little annoying that he is being so stupid about this. I know the creepy customer is pushing him to get it done now, but he really needed to be patient here. That is all it would have took to get the job done without arousing suspicion.

It kind of sucks that this plot has a "to be continued…" that will never be resolved. I kind of liked Deral. He fell in love with Dax, had her ripped away, and then... That's it. On to the next plot. Hope you didn't actually care for the guy.

Well, but how else could it have been resolved?  Was Jadzia just supposed to wait for 60 years and return when she was 88, while Deral hadn't aged at all?  She would have needed to move on at some point (even though it's a moot point given that

Jadzia was eventually murdered and Deral wouldn't have even known Ezri Dax

).

• Love 1

Well, but how else could it have been resolved? Was Jadzia just supposed to wait for 60 years and return when she was 88, while Deral hadn't aged at all? She would have needed to move on at some point (even though it's a moot point given that

Jadzia was eventually murdered and Deral wouldn't have even known Ezri Dax

).

I know resolving it wasn't possible. That's kind of what I don't like about it. I felt like we got half a story with Deral. Jadzia has to move on of course. Still, how did he feel when he returned. Did he move on to? They exist in the other place, so it's possible. Did he return still loving Jadzia? Maybe they are trapped with the same emotions in the other place, unable to move on. That would explain they put their lives on hold until they resolved the "on the other side too long" problem. That could be another reason why Deral wanted to leave at first.

I like to think that Ezri came to see him when it was time. Even if he moved on, he should know what became of Jadzia.

This may have been answered in the episode but why don't they just leave? Once they realized they didn't know how to fix it. The federation could have helped.

I'm guessing they would have if it came to that. At the time the Defiant found them, they still had hope of fixing it.

This may have been answered in the episode but why don't they just leave? Once they realized they didn't know how to fix it. The federation could have helped.

This confused me terribly. Why stay once you realized you only had a few weeks every 60 years or whatever it was? I wasn't clear if their bodies were in tune with the quantum shifting, but then Doral would have had an issue when he left, right? The whole thing had me confused, and i sort of regretted not paying more attention at the beginning, but not enough to rewind.

Also, Doral came across as a huge creeper at first. He got less creepy as the episode went on, but I feel like if Dax met him in Quark's and he tried the whole "How low do those dots go" line she would have slugged him. 

This is part of the "Dax Syndrome" of the first 3 (or so) seasons, where they're really not sure what to do with her, or how to characterize her. (I"m not sure how much of it was due to the actualy and how much was due to Farrell's inability to convey any sense emotion onscreen without seeming "Fake"; it's only when

Worf joins the cast

that they start to figure out an arc/character for her.

Of course, my perceptions of this episode could also be colored since I can't watch it without thinking of "Brigadoon", which is, IMO, a near-perfect movie.

I will agree with Blueray that the "B-Plot" does almost salvage this episode. I think Kira/Oda/Quark had great chemistry together onscreen.

To me, this was one of the more tolerable Dax stories from the early seasons, because it wasn't another Curzon love-in like most of her stories tended to be. I mean,it's not great, but for Dax it may as well be the most original story she'd gotten before Rejoined.

I didn't hate this episode, but something worse... it bored me. Aside from meta reasons (like, I knew Terry Farrell wasn't leaving), if the show wants to convince me that Jadzia is going to leave, they better portray him as having Godlike charisma. Unfortunately, the only thing I remember him saying is talking about counting spots. Wow, I can see why Jadzia was wetting her knickers there!

Meushell It kind of sucks that this plot has a "to be continued…" that will never be resolved.

Yeah, but that just shows that the writers had no interest in the plot either. If they really wanted to, they could have written about how they could rig up a quantum [insert more technobabble here] array that could bring Meridian back into our dimension. They didn't, ergo, they didn't care.