Type keyword(s) to search

Best season and why?

• Start Topic

Season 2 for me. Jess first appears and I not only love the buildup with Rory, I love the added dimension he brings to Luke. (And Luke pushing Jess in the lake is such a classic moment.) It was also good to see Rory/Lorelai be tested a bit, they maintain their closer than ever relationship but still show Rory is her own person, not Lorelai's shadow.

There's some good LL moments (TBB, ATAT) and although the end isn't so great for them, I actually kind of like the Christopher stuff. I thought it had a good balance of making me wish for the ideal world where Lorelai, Rory, and Christopher would be a family with accepting that it's not to be.

It was also interesting to delve deeper into Lorelai's relationship with her parents, especially Lorelai/Emily at the spa and Emily and Richard at Lorelai's graduation. Then there's Rory and Paris slowly becoming friends, Sookie and Jackson getting married, and we're treated to Kirk's short movie. So much to love.

• Love 4

Yes, season 2 is terrific! It probably ranks behind S1 and S4 for me but is still one of my favorite seasons of any TV show. 

For some reason Season 3 disappoints me a little. It's still better for me than the last three seasons of the series, but it's my least favorite of those first four seasons. It's got a few of the series' best episodes, which always makes me think I love it more than I actually do. There are some episodes and storylines that just don't work for me, and tbh I don't especially like how they handled Rory applying and being admitted to college. EVERY college, haha. That arc, if it can even be called an arc,  was a little sloppy and inaccurate, mixed in with a lack of suspense and the usual dollop of reminding us that Rory gets all possible wins always no matter what. I still like Rory then in general, but that was a little much. I also hated the school politics storylines at Chilton and am not thrilled with how the triangle with Jess and Dean was handled either. Lorelai's storylines in season 3 seemed aimless and this is also when we get Luke's baffling romance with drippy Nicole. And there's the debacle known as KegMax, which is my pick for the worst episode of GG's first four seasons.  

Despite this litany of complaints, there's a lot in the third season that I do like! I just don't love or want to rewatch it as much as S1, S2 and S4. 

Edited by whateverhappened
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, whateverhappened said:

Are we allowed to ask about people's favorite episodes of the series here, or this thread just to talk about seasons? I would love to hear which episodes you all love the most. 

Oh we talk favorites (and least favorites) of just about everything here!

• Love 2

Great! 

Which 10 episodes do you consider your special favorites? What are your favorite episodes and least favorite ones for each season? And does anyone else out there really love The Fundamental Things Apply or am I alone on that one? 

No one has to answer that last question. :)

Another fan of season 2 here - it's the one I rewatch the most. Everyone's character arcs make sense to me: Emily and Richard aren't cartoonish yet and have some moments of connection with Lorelai; Rory and Lorelai are both frustrated that the other one doesn't appear to trust them with respect to Jess; Dean is legitimately worried that Rory's actions and words don't line up where Jess is concerned (rightly so).  Even Jess, obnoxious though he is, isn't necessarily wrong to think Stars Hollow and Lorelai are equally obnoxious.  Compared to season 1 all of them are fuller characters that I can empathize with and dislike at the same time.  "A-Tisket, A-Tasket" is probably my single favorite. 

From season 4, it's a toss-up between "Affair to Remember," "Fundamental Things Apply," and "The Reigning Lorelai."  In general I really like professional, competent Lorelai, even when she falls short of the mark. 

• Love 2

I'm trying to limit myself to 15 favorites and am not sure I can do it! These are the 15 I tend to watch the most---

Double Date, That Damn Donna Reed, Run Away Little Boy, Bracebridge Dinner, Dead Uncles and Vegetables, Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days, They Shoot Gilmores, Pinocchio, The Lorelais' First Day at Yale, The Fundamental Things Apply, Luke Can See Her Face, Last Week Fights, Raincoats and Recipes, Written in the Stars, Come Home, Let Me Hear Your Balalaikas Ringing Out, Bon Voyage

People better at math than I am might notice that that list actually has 17 episodes, two more than I was supposed to list. If I join you all in referring to the last three episodes of s4 as the trilogy, does that mean I can count them as just one episode? :) 

Doing this made me wonder if I prefer S4 and possibly S2 to S1 after all? I had more trouble leaving certain S2 and S4 episodes off the list. 

As for my least favorites, I already know that Keg Max will be there, but the majority of episodes will be from S5, S6 and S7. 

Edited by whateverhappened
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I will make up for your 17 by listing only four:  Forgiveness and Stuff, Dead Uncles and Vegetables, Last Night Fights, Raincoats and Recipes.

Those are definitely my four faves. I probably could get away with watching just those four. I might add Written in the Stars to give a bookend to Raincoats and Recipes. Don't get me wrong I love other episodes too but those four plus WiT would go on a island with me.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, whateverhappened said:

I'll take a wild guess based on your picks that you two are fellow Java Junkies! :) I noticed that most of my favorites not coincidentally tended to have the best LL scenes as well. 

Card Carrying Java Junkie. Unapologetic Flannatic (yes that is a play on Luke and his flannel)

• Love 3
1 minute ago, whateverhappened said:

OMG, I love this. I'm sure I'll be using this but promise to give you credit when I do!

Back in the day on the TWoP fan forum they had a Dirty Luke thread (It was tame. We just appreciated Luke and all his Lukie goodness) That's where the Flannatic term came about.

• Love 1

had a Dirty Luke thread (It was tame. We just appreciated Luke and all his Lukie goodness

I can't relate at all. It's not like I have these and several more photos saved on my computer or anything and look at them every single time I need to be cheered up...

Speaking of which, what would you all select as your favorite Luke scenes of the series, with or without Lorelai?

luke2.jpg

luke3.jpg

luke4.jpg

luke8.jpeg

luketippe.jpeg

• Love 2

whateverhappened, have you been on my computer?

Luke scenes with or without Lorelai.

Well definitely the waltzing, The Written in the Stars scenes (clothed and not), Comforting Lorelai in Balalaikas, Kiss at the Dragonfly and his "we had a moment" rant, the limo, the "that leaves you with the mattress" from Lorelais First Day at Yale. Just to name a few. LOL

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, whateverhappened said:

I can't relate at all. It's not like I have these and several more photos saved on my computer or anything and look at them every single time I need to be cheered up...

Speaking of which, what would you all select as your favorite Luke scenes of the series, with or without Lorelai?

luke2.jpg

luke3.jpg

luke4.jpg

luke8.jpeg

luketippe.jpeg

Quoting because these belong in the "best" thread more than once. :)