Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Making Your Days

Okay the tattoo shop owner should have totally watched Shane's videos before she allowed filming in her shop, but I did love her going off on Chris Moore about how not only was he racist, sexist etc but completely unfunny. 

I do not understand how Anna who has been on sets before doesn't understand that going overtime and pushing scheduled breaks have real monetary consequences on a film's budget. I almost think they are keeping her too much in a bubble I would be like that extra shot is going to cost you X amount of dollars because of all the people and the overtime requirements for the unions, etc. 

• Love 1

Okay the tattoo shop owner should have totally watched Shane's videos before she allowed filming in her shop, but I did love her going off on Chris Moore about how not only was he racist, sexist etc but completely unfunny. 

The owner openly stated what we've all been thinking. To Chris Moore! You could tell he agrees with her, but can't really say anything.

I almost fell off my couch when Shane told his girlfriend "I just really want to make a great movie." Yeah, uh, I think you're waaaaaaaaay past the possibility of salvation at this point.

Unless Lauren can takeover and quickly remake a different, funnier film. I actually don't mind her.

Also, I'm genuinely curious to know the percentage of crew members on Shane's film who don't think it's a steaming pile of shit.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

It's a toss up on which director is acting like the biggest baby.  Ahnna sitting there in her pjs quietly pouting about not being able to do what she wants.  Being disappointed that she couldn't do everything she wanted.  The batting the eyelashes ain't I cute routine is getting really old.  Or Shane accusing Lauren of bringing the stank because the shop owner calling him a list of vile names really started that shoot off on an up note.

Yes Victor is directing the movie.  In fact Victor is actually 'really mad' that Phil said it out loud and now they have to figure out how to cover their tracks.  I don't hold out much hope for this since they are too stupid to realize that mics pick up noise even if you shut the door.

So who is going to be right.  The writer of the original script that just trashed the rewrite and doesn't think there is a hope in hell Ahnna will have a decent movie?  Or maybe the tattoo shop owner who finds Shane unfunny, disgusting, racist and homophobic.  Color me shocked at the last two characterizations.  I knew disgusting and unfunny but I guess I thought if people thought he was gay from his youtube that it wasn't homophobic.

• Love 2

My favorite scene this week was Ah-na, our "strong and decisive" movie director, sitting in a chair in the fetal position, in her footie pajamas, being lectured to by one of her employees about budget and time management, rolling her eyes and looking like she has a thought bubble of "Like, what-ever!" over her head the entire time.  Priceless!

Also, she's ACTING now, too?!?  When did this happen?  She's a writer (apparently of only autobiographical material relating to her own coming-of-age, but still,.... a trained writer).  She's not exactly hitting it of the park with her new directing powers, so why stretch those (and her lack of time-management skills) by sitting her down in the middle of scenes and letting her try to emote as well?  It's like those old episodes of "This Old House" where Bob Vila, host, would suddenly want to sit in the bulldozer and knock stuff down.

I get the feeling Ah-na, Victor, and Phil have spent the last 7 weeks this show has been on the air telling themselves and all their friends, "See, this is what we were worried about.  These TV people edit everything to fit their own story arc.  It has nothing to do with what REALLY happened." Sure, guys.

I'm a little worried about Shane's director-partner (Lauren?).  She looks physically ill, and seems to look sicker each week.  It may be that she's really tired, or has come down with a cold, or just (like me) doesn't do well in colder climates, but my first reaction whenever she shows up is that I wish she could get checked out by a doctor.  Then again, maybe that thing on her head that looks like a hat is actually an energy vampire sucking all of her life energy out of her body.  This week, they were filming a scene in the tattoo parlor (not a big room), filled with lots of people and hot lights for the camera, and she was STILL wearing her coat and hat! 

I'd love to see pictures of her on vacation in Hawaii.  Would she still be bundled up like this? "Here's a picture of me at the luau.  Man, it was a cold 85 degrees that night--I thought I'd get pneumonia!  Here's one of me surfing; that ocean was as chilly as bathwater.  Here's one of me doing the hula; my parka really looks great swaying in the breeze like that!"

• Love 3

How is Victor a part of Anna's team when he's not even in Pittsburgh? I think he might have co-written the script, but that's done. He shouldn't have given direction to Phil before Phil's big scene (and Phil shouldn't have asked him), but now, instead of acknowledging this and maybe even apologizing, all he's worried about is how Phil "threw him under the bus." WTF? I feel like he's undermining Anna, and he's not even there!

Speaking of undermining, the original writer (I forget his name) sure has a bug up his ass over Anna and her re-write. He seems to understand that writers sometimes don't have a role on set, but then he keeps bitching about it. But worse was how he went on about how bad the movie was, and "hopefully" it can be saved in the editing room. While at the same time seeming comfortable with his name being attached to Shane's, um, masterpiece (I'm not a fan).

• Love 2

Well tbh, I get where the writer's coming from : Shane's movie is still his (the original writer's) script, his story beats, his characters, albeit through the filter of Shane's gross humor ; even if the final product isn't really what the writer's initially intended, he still wrote the shooting script, he's involved with the production, and so on.

Whereas Anna & her crew, basically, just shut him out of the entire process, they just ditched 90% of the script, kept some names, situations & places, and went "this script sucks, let's rewrite it entirely". Which, understandably, means that the writer's is just there to watch something barely ressembling his work being shot by a crew that just doesn't care if he's here or not, and that doesn't want his input.

If I were the writer, I'd be annoyed, too. Also, to be honest, Shane's set is probably more fun to be on than Anna's mopey, deep, indie short-on-cash-&-time set, so that must not help...

• Love 1

If I were the writer, I'd be annoyed, too. Also, to be honest, Shane's set is probably more fun to be on than Anna's mopey, deep, indie short-on-cash-&-time set, so that must not help...

True but what I wouldn't do is call the rewrite a terrible movie, the actually filming really bad and predict it was so bad it couldn't be fixed in editing.  He hung his hopes on Shane's version which is critically bombing.  So he looks a bit of a fool now.  This is his first script to production so hopefully watching himself will teach him how to act the next time.  But kudos to the production people that had him come on set for this.  He's really in a tizzy about his script being rewritten by Victor, oops I mean Ahnna.

• Love 3

Anna and Crew weren't just shutting Dan out of production. I remember her getting pissy about Chris Moore being on set.

She, Phil, and Invisible Victor are in their own little world. And even though this show is about the process of making an independent film, Anna's relationship with Victor creeps me out on some level. She's anal retentive, but he seems excessively controlling. Even Phil seems scared of him. That doesn't bode well for the long haul.

Also, am I imagining things or did Shane's hair look much shorter in next week's preview? Has he finished filming all of his scenes yet? If not, he's going to have continuity problems. I doubt he'd be able to find a wig on such short notice that's as horrifying as his real hair.

Edited by Surrealist

True but what I wouldn't do is call the rewrite a terrible movie, the actually filming really bad and predict it was so bad it couldn't be fixed in editing.  He hung his hopes on Shane's version which is critically bombing.  So he looks a bit of a fool now.

Exactly. I understand the difficulty of seeing your script rewritten, but his bitterness towards the "new" script/movie is what turned me off. Wondering about saving a movie in editing sounds about as bad a thing as one can say about an in-production movie. And oh the irony of him talking about his name being attached to Anna's movie when Shane's movie is getting the worst reviews I've ever read. Like he said, it's a gamble.

• Love 1

I get the feeling Ah-na, Victor, and Phil have spent the last 7 weeks this show has been on the air telling themselves and all their friends, "See, this is what we were worried about.  These TV people edit everything to fit their own story arc.  It has nothing to do with what REALLY happened." Sure, guys.

I'm enjoying the irony that their attempts to manipulate the story are so transparent that I feel that the Chair crew has not had to play any fancy editing tricks or unshown leading questions to undermine it...just a few long takes of them conversing with each other. They just can't help themselves.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 1

I watched Shane's movie (through a free link). Seeing the movie gives me a greater understanding over what's transpired so far on the show.

The movie wasn't great. It wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen. It's cliche ridden and the humor is Porky's-like. Given the material, I thought that the actors playing Tori (Cherami Leigh) and Janie (Michelle Veintimilla) did a decent job. I also thought the actor playing Shane's father Ray (Bill Laing) was decent too. They're the only good things about the movie. 

For what it's worth, the most offensive scenes in the movie are ones we saw on the show. I thought it would get worse, but luckily, it didn't.

Again, Shane's movie wasn't great, but I can see its appeal to a certain demographic. I can imagine that this demographic is why Shane's movie is ahead in making money.

I will watch Anna's too. I'm curious to see how it turned out, despite her constantly running out-of-time and going over budget.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 2

Who decided that all filming would take place in the coldest months in Pittsburgh?  That looked painful.

At this point, I think I will like Anna's movie more.  It's on On Demand as well as Shane's.  When I'm done with the show, I'm going to watch both.