Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E22: The Defeated: 57th Expedition Beyond the Walls, Part 6

Levi and Mikasa prove why they are the strongest characters on the show. Levi utterly devastates the Female Titan and the three flee. Meanwhile, for the families and comrades left behind, there is only dashed hopes and grief...

Poor Squad Levi. Death by titan and then crushed... And then Petra's father shows up to unintentionally knife twist. The scene where the regiment returned was well done.

Forgot to mention, bad leadership alert. I think a more empathic response like the second one (where Levi gives the guy the wings of freedom) would not have led to the dumping. Armin is a smart one, no? I think we know who will be in military leadership in the future, assuming he lives long enough.

Edited by PrincessEnnui

One of the more heart-wrenching episodes in the series. Levi proves his worth as humanity's greatest soldier but how sad is it to have to see your friends' bodies strewn about and having to subsequently abandon them later. Thankfully the carriage scene never happened in the manga so I can forgive them adding it in for dramatic effect.

• Love 1

One of the more heart-wrenching episodes in the series. Levi proves his worth as humanity's greatest soldier but how sad is it to have to see your friends' bodies strewn about and having to subsequently abandon them later. Thankfully the carriage scene never happened in the manga so I can forgive them adding it in for dramatic effect.

I actually liked they added the carriage scene and the one with the badge (presumably Petra's) that Levi had collected. It added more to the pathos of the story. It's like how the anime gave more character to the doomed members of the 104th Training Corps who are basically redshirts with names. In the manga there is a much more obvious sense that people are disposable despite how few people there are left.

Though we did see that if Levi HAD been with his squad they probably could have taken out the Female Titan. He went through her like butter. 

• Love 2

I can't believe I didn't realize it was Petra's badge. I feel really stupid now.

Agreed, this episode was really heart breaking. The kid that was all "Yay scouts!" was the only bright spot.

I'm really curious what happens to Eren now that he's not part of the Scout Regiment.

Edited by lathspel
  • Love 1

The scene where the regiment returned was well done.

Agreed, although I could have done without the flashback.

Forgot to mention, bad leadership alert. I think a more empathic response like the second one (where Levi gives the guy the wings of freedom) would not have led to the dumping.

Those two guys seemed pretty dead set on recovering the body, I doubt anything Erwin could have said would have stopped them. Still, he could have stationed some of his more senior/trustworthy people as rearguard to ensure no one went back. That said, Erwin has made, in my opinion, some questionable decisions in the past, so  this could be part of a pattern.

Armin is a smart one, no? I think we know who will be in military leadership in the future, assuming he lives long enough.

I see Armin becoming more like Zoe. He lacks the presence and the confidence to be a leader.

Though we did see that if Levi HAD been with his squad they probably could have taken out the Female Titan. He went through her like butter.

Had he not hurt his leg, he probably could have taken her himself.

The kid that was all "Yay scouts!" was the only bright spot.

Even that I thought was kind of dark, since that was Eren 5 years ago.

I'm really curious what happens to Eren now that he's not part of the Scout Regiment.

Well, there are only three more episodes, and they still have to officially reveal the identity of the Female, and possibly the Colossal and Armored, titans, so I doubt we will see too much fallout from the expedition.

Edited by ZoqFotPik
  • Love 1