Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E21: Unsolvable

• Start Topic

Kyle Bornheimer, the working-est actor in showbiz. We're not even three months into the year and I've already seen him in Justified, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and the Veronica Mars movie, plus he also did (shows I don't watch) Workaholics and Those Who Kill. Take a vacation, man!

• Love 1

I'm just getting caught up on this episode on my lunch break, but I had to pause to come over here and note that Captain Holt's delight in both hula-hooping and assuring Jake that no one will believe that he hula-hoops is precisely the reason I watch this show. Captain Holt forever!

• Love 4

I'm just getting caught up on this episode on my lunch break, but I had to pause to come over here and note that Captain Holt's delight in both hula-hooping and assuring Jake that no one will believe that he hula-hoops is precisely the reason I watch this show. Captain Holt forever!

That was a great moment. I love that Holt is completely self aware about his image and his personality, and that he will happily use that to his advantage. He was absolutely right too; no one would believe Jake if he'd claimed that the Captain had injured himself hula-hooping.

I enjoyed the theme for Jake in this episode. That he was trying to dive into work to avoid thinking about Amy was quite well done, and I think the character we've seen over the course of the season really would do that. Being a cop is something he loves, even if he's able to be irreverent about it a lot of the time. I buy that he would think a big win there would make him forget about the girl. And I buy that it didn't make him forget about the girl.

Meanwhile, Amy lying to Holt for the first time, and the horrible domino effect of it, was genius. That poor girl. She does everything by the book, she behaves, she obeys orders, she works her cute little butt off, and the first time she lies, she ends up in a dentist's chair, about to have her wisdom teeth pulled out. Only to then discover that her rigorous, methodical brushing technique has done her more harm than good anyway.

Only to then discover that her rigorous, methodical brushing technique has done her more harm than good anyway.

I loved when she was telling Jake about it and he interjected with "But you're such a good brusher!" and she's like, "I know!"  Much like his appreciation for her Thanksgiving speech (Santiago-style) or her remembering his fictional backstory(ies), I like that they know and enjoy these little details about each other.

• Love 1

I loved when she was telling Jake about it and he interjected with "But you're such a good brusher!" and she's like, "I know!"  Much like his appreciation for her Thanksgiving speech (Santiago-style) or her remembering his fictional backstory(ies), I like that they know and enjoy these little details about each other.

I do too. Little moments like that sell their friendship so well. Unlike so many potentially romantic couples, we're not seeing them get to know one another after an initial meet-cute. We're seeing two people who have an established professional relationship and a friendship that has slowly unfolded as deep and genuine.

Saw it again, and wow, that cold opening truly might be my favorite.  Holt trolling Jake like that with the hula-hoop pictures was just a thing of beauty.  Andre Braugher's face was made of win during Holt's smirk, as what Andy Samberg's, when it dawned on Jake that there was no way he could ever prove to anyone what he just saw.

Loved seeing Jake and Terry out in the field, and more of their interactions, and the reveal that "Terry believes in a clear topic sentence."  Clear topic sentences are a good thing, Terry.

Amy slipping into song lyrics whenever she lied to Holt was hilarious.  If she ever has to lie to Holt again, I hope they bring that back up.  Or, it would be funny if that's what she always does when she lies to someone she respects or likes, and not just Holt.

Finally, always great to see that Scully and Hitchcock can actually be good detectives, but only when it involves finally the location to a nice, clean bathroom!

• Love 1