Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: The Letting Go

maraleia

Maura embraces her new journey, but nothing about life as a woman is easy -- making friends, finding a new community, and above all, coming out to her children. Sarah introduces her husband (Rob Huebel) to her ex-girlfriend Tammy (Melora Hardin). Josh pays a visit to his ex-babysitter Rita, as Ali gets closer to her trainer.

I am impressed with the dignity Jeff Tambor brings to Maura. I was having difficulty picturing it, but he played it perfectly. She's less fucked up than all three of her kids. I just had to go back and change my pronouns. I've dealt with this IRL, but it is still difficult to get it right at first.

• Love 1

Yeah, Tambor is wonderful. The way Maura talks about her kids is amazing. She clearly adores the snot out of them, but she's not blind to the fact that they're little assholes. I think the whole family cast has really strong chemistry. So far, I'm way on-board.

• Love 4

I love this show so much especially its warts and all approach to family life. Tambor is doing Emmy worthy work in this role. Maura's struggles are so palpable and raw and I'm so glad that they got Alexandra Billings to play one of Maura's confidants.

I can't even put into words how awesome it is to see Judith Light on this show.

• Love 8

Yeah, Tambor is wonderful. The way Maura talks about her kids is amazing. She clearly adores the snot out of them, but she's not blind to the fact that they're little assholes. I think the whole family cast has really strong chemistry. So far, I'm way on-board.

This is what I really love about Maura. You can love your family without blindly believing that they are perfect little angels and she does that very well. Wanting to give the house to Sarah, the responsible child, is a perfect example. Too often parents decide think that giving the house to Ali would be the nicest or most helpful thing to do, ignoring the fact that Sarah is the one who won't fuck it up. It is nice to see a parent who loves her kids but can still see who they really are.

• Love 2