Type keyword(s) to search

Something Beautiful in a season you hate

junienmomo
  • Start Topic

Trying to look on the bright side of life, I'm choosing to find the beautiful moments in seasons I hate, mostly 6 and 7.

Show us a moment that you really like in a season/episode that you otherwise hate, and tell us why you like it.

Here's one from S6. The bedroom scenes of L&L are so pretty and well-lighted, and the moment of choosing a dress that "goes with a baby" is so sweet and I love seeing it. Here's a screencap, before my favorite line of the moment: "I like the green dress." It's such a nice husbandly moment, because he sees that he can't talk her down off the ledge, but he can still try to be supportive.

GG604-00791.jpg

• Love 3

Oh, fun---I love searching for moments of that quintessential GG greatness in otherwise abysmal episodes! For me, the post-Pulp Friction episodes of S5 are just as bad as most of S6 and the worst of S7 (though I like S7 more than most!), so my search for good scenes in bad episodes will begin there :) 

• Love 2

Where Logan's leaving Season 6 Episode 22.  He's basically told Rori that if she wants him to stay and not move on to his father's plan for his life that he'll stay.  Then he's leaving in the morning and standing in front of the elevator and you can see the awful sadness in his eyes.  He wanted her help to not become like his father, to live his own life.  The sadness hits me as some deep recognition of her and all she means--the door that's now closed to him forever as he goes off to walk in his father's nasty footsteps.

Great writing and great acting.

• Love 5

Mine is sort of similar, Taryn---I didn't like Zack when we first met him in S3 and pretty much despised him throughout the vast majority of S4-S6 (don't get me started on all the reasons why---it would ruin the awesomely positive vibe of this thread!), but I actually developed a grudging fondness for him and his relationship with Lane in S7. 

Another beauty of  the understandably disliked S7 for me is that I found Rory vastly more likable and root-worthy than I had since the very end of S4/beginning of S5. She still didn't feel as sharp, snarky and cerebral as Original Recipe Rory to me, but she was a big improvement over the affair-having, yacht-stealing, hopelessly bland DAR socialite we were stuck with for the previous two seasons. That alone goes a huge way towards redeeming S7 for me! 

• Love 4

Kohola, I think you're spot on and feel S7 had a lot of moments of that GG-esque warmth and sweetness that were missing from large parts of S5 and S6! 

And, you guys, I have risen to the challenge by finding something beautiful about A Vineyard Valentine, widely considered among the 2-3 worst episodes of the entire series...the scenery! The ocean and sand are so lovely, as are Luke and Lorelai's their strolling-on-the-beach outfits :)

0yX4MUQ.jpg

• Love 2

The scenery in AVV was lovely, I'll give you that, and raise you the one scene in the episode I actually liked (even though the loveliness of it got taken away from us almost immediately but I digress...). There's such warmth and prettiness between them here, it gave me hope for about 5 seconds...

GG615-00935.jpg

Edited by eledgy
  • Love 4

it's not so much a season i hate, although the 4th season IS my second least favorite (after 6, natch), so much as an EPISODE i hate- In the Clamor and the Clangor. Every.single.thing about this episode bugs, from the stupid funeral hats to the non-stop bells, but it does contain one perfect moment- when Mrs. Kim goes to get Lane, and she stops to tell Luke she won't be in to work. Emily Kuroda plays the realization that Lane talks to everyone but her with such quiet and beauty, and her slow turn around in the woody wagon is this shining moment of 'show not tell' that the series sorely lacked sometimes.

• Love 3

it's not so much a season i hate, although the 4th season IS my second least favorite (after 6, natch), so much as an EPISODE i hate- In the Clamor and the Clangor. Every.single.thing about this episode bugs, from the stupid funeral hats to the non-stop bells, but it does contain one perfect moment- when Mrs. Kim goes to get Lane, and she stops to tell Luke she won't be in to work. Emily Kuroda plays the realization that Lane talks to everyone but her with such quiet and beauty, and her slow turn around in the woody wagon is this shining moment of 'show not tell' that the series sorely lacked sometimes.

I agree. You can see the heartbreak in her eyes. I also liked Lane sneaking into her room, and giving her a kiss when she was sleeping.

• Love 4