Type keyword(s) to search

Dude! The Road to LA28

• Start Topic

I can't explain it but my personality the last week has been obsessing over who should light the cauldron. For sure I think the lead up should be majority 1984/Los Angeles Olympians with other famous athletes rounding it out. I liked how 2002 Opening Ceremony brought out a bunch of former Winter Olympians and had them skate around a bit before Cammi Granato and Picabo Street handed it off to Team USA so I'd like to see the Summer version of that. What I can't decide on is who should light the cauldron. I keep changing my mind on who should/is likely to do it. I could see them wanting to bring out the 92 Dream Team but I'm also not sure all of those guys would be interested. Then there are big names like Michael Phelps or Simone Biles, who I love, but I like it when it's an historical Olympian and they're too recent. I know it doesn't have to be a Team USA or Muhammad Ali type but the US is an embarrassment of riches when it comes to recognizable Olympians over the years and I can't see them wanting to change their usual formula.

I did a search and saw it pointed out the US has never sent a woman to light the cauldron so I could see the appeal for the organizers there. That opens up athletes like Venus and Serena Williams (bonus: LA connection) or the Magnificent Seven. Jackie Joyner-Kersee won her first medals in 84, went to UCLA, and found success in four Games. Wyomia Tyus is still alive and hopefully will continue to be in 28 if they want to consider her. 

Like I said, this is currently my personality.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

did a search and saw it pointed out the US has never sent a woman to light the cauldron so I could see the appeal for the organizers there. That opens up athletes like Venus and Serena Williams (bonus: LA connection) or the Magnificent Seven. Jackie Joyner-Kersee won her first medals in 84, went to UCLA, and found success in four Games. Wyomia Tyus is still alive and hopefully will continue to be in 28 if they want to consider her. 

I can totally see it being the Magnificent Seven being the official Cauldron lighters since that is arguably the defining Olympic Moment of a games last set in US, much like the Miracle was.

There's so many they need to incorporate in the torch race.  Michael Phelps seems like a given to be the first person to began the official relay. Maybe bring out Jason Lezak, Garrett Weber-Gale and Cullen Jones of the infamous race. Depending on if they go more current, legend or both.  They should celebrate diversity and gender parity like Paris did.  Simone Biles and the other four (Carly, Nastia, Gabby and Suni) who have won the All Around.  Allyson Felix, Rai Benjamin, Katie Ledecky, Lauryn Williams (has won medals in BOTH Olympics), Misty and Kerri.  From the last 30 years alone there's a stacked deck of American Olympians they can't possibly include them all.  I haven't even named them all.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

Steffi Graf? The only winner of The Golden Slam!

Steffi won for West Germany. Amazing player to be sure but there’s no way the cauldron will be lit by a non-American Olympic athlete.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I love alll these ideas for torch bearers but I have this forbkding feeling thst it's going to be a ahitshow of ass kissing celebrities with Neverending tie ins to TV and movies. It makes me I'll to think this but we've already seen the beginnings with thr incessant promoting of Snoop (because he's starring in The Voice on NBC, etc. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear I'm not. 

(edited)

I saw Mike Tirico talking to the LA Olympics organizer guy and he said they plan to flip the order of Swimming and Track & Field events. So Mens 100m could kick things off. Not sure how I feel about it.

Edited by crimsongrl
  • Useful 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, crimsongrl said:

I saw Mike Tirico talking to the LA Olympics organizer guy and he said they plan to flip the order of Swimming and Track & Field events. So Mens 100m could kick things off. Not sure how I feel about it.

I heard that interview too and while I'm a traditionalist about most things in life and the Olympics, I think I like this flip. For me, the second week is always a sort of slow downhill let down because my more favorite events are either finished or finishing up. To look forward to those events now and go out until the last day with a bang would be nice I think. It also gives the track and field athletes a full week to revel in their achievements and enjoy the games, which they never get to do because they run up to the last day. Let's see how it goes, I'm open to it. 

Edited by surfgirl
  • Like 3
On 8/14/2024 at 9:18 AM, crimsongrl said:

Did he say why? 

How would that work with the marathon? Are they really not going to have the Olympic sport conclude the Olympic Games? (Although, I can't imagine that running a marathon in July is much fun in the LA area in general). 

Did they say anything about the Closing Ceremonies being held elsewhere? Because they're always in the same place as Opening and, if they need time to switch to swimming, it stands to reason they'll need time to switch back. Maybe the swimming will be held in the middle of the Games giving them a couple days to make the switch? Also I take it track and field are intended to be held elsewhere if swimming is in SoFi?

I hope they plan on using the same cauldron from 32 and 84 but the change in venue has me thinking they're going for a new one. 

• Useful 1
On 8/14/2024 at 9:21 AM, scarynikki12 said:

I can't explain it but my personality the last week has been obsessing over who should light the cauldron. For sure I think the lead up should be majority 1984/Los Angeles Olympians with other famous athletes rounding it out. I liked how 2002 Opening Ceremony brought out a bunch of former Winter Olympians and had them skate around a bit before Cammi Granato and Picabo Street handed it off to Team USA so I'd like to see the Summer version of that. What I can't decide on is who should light the cauldron. I keep changing my mind on who should/is likely to do it. I could see them wanting to bring out the 92 Dream Team but I'm also not sure all of those guys would be interested. Then there are big names like Michael Phelps or Simone Biles, who I love, but I like it when it's an historical Olympian and they're too recent. I know it doesn't have to be a Team USA or Muhammad Ali type but the US is an embarrassment of riches when it comes to recognizable Olympians over the years and I can't see them wanting to change their usual formula.

I did a search and saw it pointed out the US has never sent a woman to light the cauldron so I could see the appeal for the organizers there. That opens up athletes like Venus and Serena Williams (bonus: LA connection) or the Magnificent Seven. Jackie Joyner-Kersee won her first medals in 84, went to UCLA, and found success in four Games. Wyomia Tyus is still alive and hopefully will continue to be in 28 if they want to consider her. 

Like I said, this is currently my personality.

I'm pretty confident it won't be Serena for the same reason Naomi felt out of place in Tokyo and the same reason Rio didn't pick Pele: it'll be "Serena Williams: Tennis Legend" lighting the cauldron and not "Serena Williams: Olympian". Same thing with any of the Dream Team members.

My left-field pick would probably be Greg Louganis. But I do think the obvious choice is Phelps, both because of his status as an Olympian and because, somehow, it has never been a swimmer before. Even in that big gaggle of people London had, none of them were swimmers. The only thing that's making me less than 100% confident is the games after are in Australia, and you'd have to imagine they'd want to pick Ian Thorpe for it, which may weigh on the decision slightly.

• Applause 1
On 8/17/2024 at 9:34 AM, scarynikki12 said:

I hope they plan on using the same cauldron from 32 and 84 but the change in venue has me thinking they're going for a new one. 

If they stick with their original plan, they are building a new one at SoFi and using the existing cauldron at the Coliseum with both being used in the opening and closing ceremonies. 

From Wikipedia:

The plan called the final leg of the torch relay to be ceremonially launched from the Coliseum, with a simulcast of the opening ceremony proper at SoFi Stadium shown to those in attendance at the Coliseum, and the ceremonial re-lighting of the historic Olympic cauldron once the new cauldron is lit in Inglewood. The closing ceremony would be held in reverse, with opening segments at SoFi Stadium, and the official protocol held at the Coliseum. The final plan is pending per IOCapproval.

• Like 1